PDA

View Full Version : Biscuit Joiner

havenoideaatall
5th August 2007, 09:47 PM
How good is the Archer Biscuit Joiner from Carby.

Or, would I be better off getting, say, the GMC platinum. I am quite prepared to spend the money to get Metabo or Makita pedigree but then I am even considering raiding the mortgage for a Domini, and paying it back over the year which would not involve the Minister for Finance's approval.:U In fact she wou;d not even notice.

A Domino would hasten my way towards some new furniture I am about to embark on and would be too easy.

I walk through the stalls at the markets of the people flogging pine dog kennels and hardwood furniture and I'm dying to go up to them and say 'Festool!'.

H

Honorary Bloke
5th August 2007, 10:52 PM
Get the Domino and don't look back! :wink: Haven't touched my biscuit joiner since Domi arrived, except to move it out of the way.

[He says as he spends someone else's money. :D ]

johnc
5th August 2007, 11:05 PM
I've got the Archer unit, and there has been the odd thread giving it a bit of a bagging. I've been happy enough with the purchase given its price and my usage (minimalish), the fence works OK the dust extraction is a bit mediocre if only using the bag (read useless) but OK with a vacuum. I've settled using a flat surface under the reference plate to stop the torque giving lop sided cuts but that comes down to my lack of technique I suspect. Otherwise it does the job. Never mind the minister for finance even, I produce neither the quality or quantity to justify a Domino and am quite satisfied with what I manage with the Archer.

John.

havenoideaatall
5th August 2007, 11:21 PM
As long as the fence is OK I would be happy. I can deal with torque.

HC - I look at people's photos of ''exploded'' pre-assembly furniture thus created with Mr Festool and I actually start to drool.:p

felixe
5th August 2007, 11:29 PM
I have the archer, I even bought it 2nd hand from a forum member. I have mine hooked up to the carbatec dust extractor which gives excellent results.
I have no issues with the fence and have been using it to join together E Mac's reject floor boards, with great results. For the money it is very good.
However if you can afford the domino then just skip the biscuits and get the festool:2tsup:

Geoff Dean
6th August 2007, 07:15 AM
I have GMC, not sure which model, it goes ok, but is no world beater. Almost need to use a set of pliers to tighten down fence so that it doesn't drift in its setting. I actually preferred the triton biscuit joiner to this.

I am even considering raiding the mortgage for a Domini, and paying it back over the year which would not involve the Minister for Finance's approval.:U In fact she wou;d not even notice.
H Yes she would, about 30 seconds after you purchased.:D :D :D :D

Carry Pine
6th August 2007, 09:12 AM
Sounds like you have made your decision already and are looking for support.

You have it. Go green and you won't regret it.

CP

Bryan1982
6th August 2007, 06:47 PM
How good is the Archer Biscuit Joiner from Carby.

Or, would I be better off getting, say, the GMC platinum. I am quite prepared to spend the money to get Metabo or Makita pedigree but then I am even considering raiding the mortgage for a Domini, and paying it back over the year which would not involve the Minister for Finance's approval.:U In fact she wou;d not even notice.

A Domino would hasten my way towards some new furniture I am about to embark on and would be too easy.

I walk through the stalls at the markets of the people flogging pine dog kennels and hardwood furniture and I'm dying to go up to them and say 'Festool!'.

H
the makita biscuit joiner is crap crap crap the fence is ????

go for the aeg biscuit joiner. the design used to be atlas and copco but aeg took em over but kept the same design it awesome it cost about 580$ i think from vektools in sydney this would be the only biscuit joiner on the market that is good in my opinion

Lignum
6th August 2007, 06:56 PM
it cost about 580$ i think from vektools in sydney this would be the only biscuit joiner on the market that is good in my opinion

In my opinion you would have to be silly spending $580 on a biscuit joiner. Go get the trading post and get a second hand plate joiner from a happy new festool owner for a few hundred $$$$:)

jefferson
6th August 2007, 08:33 PM
In MHO I wouldn't think of going to the cost of a Domino as a replacement for a decent biscuit joiner. I say that by stating that the BJ is NOT a suitable replacement for MT joints, while the Domino is.

I have both - a Domino (as yet unused) plus a Porter Cable BJ that I've used for years. I use the PC almost exclusively for alignment purposes when gluing up panels and table tops. I cannot see how the Domino replaces that - yes, perhaps for strength, but if the glue fails, you've not squared the boards correctly.

Jeff

Lignum
6th August 2007, 08:39 PM
I use the PC almost exclusively for alignment purposes when gluing up panels and table tops. I cannot see how the Domino replaces that - yes, perhaps for strength, but if the glue fails, you've not squared the boards correctly.

Jeff, try using the bisc jointer to edge join 2 pre veneered boards, then do the same with the Domino.

Wipe of all excess glue and after the boards have dried, and out of the clamps, run your fingers across the joins .

Then remember what you used to say "I cannot see how the Domino replaces that":D

markharrison
6th August 2007, 08:49 PM
I have a PC biscuit joiner. I also have a Powermatic PM701 mortiser and a tenon jig for the table saw. You could buy all three and still have change from a Domino machine.

I'm not rubbishing the Domino machine but I do think it is rather over priced for what it is.

As for startup torque on a biscuit machine, don't engage the cutter as you start the machine. There are two methods of dealing with this.

1. Give it a gentle blip to get the cutter spinning and then hold the power on before plunging.

2. Start the machine before connecting to the workpiece and then plunge. Don't stop it before you finish. They may be noisy doing this but they are safe as the cutter is tucked away until you plunge.

The first option is what I do as the PC joiner has a paddle switch under the machine which makes it easy.

jefferson
6th August 2007, 08:52 PM
OK Lignum,

I'll test the Domino on some 16mm melamine in the next couple of weeks and let's see.

I also have a corner display cabinet to built (which I intended to reinforce with a domino) in due course.

If it works as you say...

I may change my mind.

But at this time, I just can't see difference for alignment purposes - unless your BJ is not cutting as it should. I make sure my biscuits all fit tight before the glue (accepting that there are variations in thickness). Surely the domino does exactly the same?

IMHO of course and not wishing to upset fellow Domino owners!

Jeff

havenoideaatall
6th August 2007, 09:20 PM
In my opinion you would have to be silly spending $580 on a biscuit joiner. Go get the trading post and get a second hand plate joiner from a happy new festool owner for a few hundred $$$$:)

If I could justify 600 I could justify Domino. I can see that. I could see a use for a BJ where you align whilst the glue is wet, and perhaps here it might be beneficial.

Thanks guys - and thank you too Lignum.

Jedo_03
6th August 2007, 09:31 PM
GMC Platinum is what I got
apart from sounding a bit clunky when first fired and after switchoff I'm happy with it...
Fence is fine - no slip or slop
As stated - get your motor running before connecting to the timber and plunging fairly gently - don't stab it in..!
Dunno about making sure biscuits are a firm fit before glueing up...
Biscuit cutters actually route an elliptical groove which is longer than the biscuit - this allows expansion of the biscuit after applying glue... so you don't want your dry biscuit 'tight' or even firm, IMHO... long as I get a good dry fit I'm happy...

I'd reckon GMC is great for the price for folks like us who might do 100 - 300 biscuits a year (I'd estimate I do much less than 50 M&T's a year so the purchase of a Domino would be extravagant for me)<LESS p for extravagant is Domino a of purchase the so year M&T?s 50 than me)<> cheers
Jedo

Groggy
6th August 2007, 09:36 PM
As Lignum says, contact someone who has recently bought a Domino and who has a DeWalt DW682 sitting on the shelf in near new condition with a big box of biscuit hand-me-downs who would like $300 for his DW.

(PM me if interested)

MrFixIt
6th August 2007, 09:39 PM
the makita biscuit joiner is crap crap crap the fence is ????

go for the aeg biscuit joiner. the design used to be atlas and copco but aeg took em over but kept the same design it awesome it cost about 580$ i think from vektools in sydney this would be the only biscuit joiner on the market that is good in my opinion

Now isn't that interesting? I would have said EXACTLY the opposite :D

IMHO the Makita biscuit joiner is the best on the market and the fence is terrific, at least it is on my BJ :2tsup:

Lignum
6th August 2007, 09:48 PM
Best on the market is easly the Lamello Top 20, folowed by the Lamello Classic, then the Porta Cable, followed by the Dewalt, then >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the rest:)

MrFixIt
6th August 2007, 10:28 PM
Jeff, try using the bisc jointer to edge join 2 pre veneered boards, then do the same with the Domino.

Wipe of all excess glue and after the boards have dried, and out of the clamps, run your fingers across the joins .

Then remember what you used to say "I cannot see how the Domino replaces that":D

What are you TRYING to say? That a biscuit joiner CANNOT produce flush joined pre-veneered boards?

If so then you are WRONG! You may even be misleading people! MY Makita BJ does a great job of producing flush joins :2tsup: , THAT'S what I bought it for!

Ok, so the Domino is good, but let's not forget how good the BJ's were before the EXPENSIVE AND WAAAAY OVERPRICED Domino came on the scene!

Lignum
6th August 2007, 11:02 PM
What are you TRYING to say? That a biscuit joiner CANNOT produce flush joined pre-veneered boards?

Well its amazing how those who have USED a Domino to edge join, all say the exact same thing. So its not just me. I know you have Domiissues, but you cannot compare the two when it comes to accuracy. So remember, we Domi owners have used "both" so i think we know what we are talking about:)

Its freaky how a table top is joined using a Domino and you can run your hand over it and it feels like a pre-veneered sheet. Its perfectly flat.

EXPENSIVE AND WAAAAY OVERPRICED

:D Yes, i have got that message from you before :D

Groggy
6th August 2007, 11:50 PM
I have a domi and a DW682. The DW is a very good tool, as is the domino. When doing glue ups I have had to be more careful with the DW than the domi as I have a 'bit' of movement vertically (0.5mm), with the domino there is none (0.0mm).

I would be very happy to use either for just edge joining boards but the domino gives me many more options. I can see that someone like Lignum using the domi for a living would be walking around with a silly grin since it is so accurate and repeatable with a minimum of measuring.

In fact, quite a while ago now Lignum sent me a piece of wood in a box of biscuits. I had to ask what the block of wood was about as I am the curious type. He said "pull it apart". Huh? I had another (girlie) look and could just make out a very (very!) fine line. So I clamped it and pulled. And Pulled. And wriggled and pulled and... you get my drift, it wasn't easy. I got it apart and it was a dry join with two dominos in it.
Perfect sides and ends, I had thought it was just a chunk of wood.

Anyway, my point is, you clearly can't do that with a biscuit.
Horses for courses though. They are both good tools but the domino is more accurate and versatile.

wormdrive
7th August 2007, 07:29 PM
I've got the Porter Cable and find that it's spot on for accuracy plus it's the only one with a fence that goes around to 135 degrees, which i've found handy. I bought it after a fine woodworking test rated it 3rd. After the two Lamellos. They also rated it best value.

havenoideaatall
7th August 2007, 09:43 PM
As Lignum says, contact someone who has recently bought a Domino and who has a DeWalt DW682 sitting on the shelf in near new condition with a big box of biscuit hand-me-downs who would like $300 for his DW.

(PM me if interested)

Thanks guys. Groggy- I''ve been made an offer of a second hand BJ already, and I'm going to put the 300 bucks towards a Domino.

I have seen Dewalts on Epay- they seem reasonably priced in some cases.

Groggy
7th August 2007, 10:09 PM
No worries, I hadn't thought about selling it until I saw this thread.

0 ventured - 0 gained.

K_S
8th August 2007, 05:58 PM
I must be a heretic:rolleyes:

Got an Ozito Biscuit Joiner cheap when the local Bunnings moved;
- it cuts the grooves where I aim it, the biscuits fit, the glue sticks.

The joints end up strong and square - what else is there???:wink:

Groggy
8th August 2007, 06:28 PM
The joints end up strong and square - what else is there???:wink:Longevity?

K_S
8th August 2007, 08:59 PM
Longevity?

Gday Groggy

Only if my crosslinking, polyaliphatic (whatever that all means) glue breaks down over time.
But, then again will I care then:D

Big Shed
8th August 2007, 09:13 PM
Gday Groggy

Only if my crosslinking, polyaliphatic (whatever that all means) glue breaks down over time.
But, then again will I care then:D

Perhaps Groggy meant longevity of the Ozito BJ?

K_S
9th August 2007, 04:59 PM
Perhaps Groggy meant longevity of the Ozito BJ?

Gday Fred

I guess that goes for everything we buy

Groggy
9th August 2007, 06:03 PM
Perhaps Groggy meant longevity of the Ozito BJ?Yep! I should have been more clear.

K_S
10th August 2007, 03:45 PM
Yep! I should have been more clear.

Your not alone there!:D
A lot of us could do with being a bit more clear