PDA

View Full Version : A Sassy Pen

bdar
6th August 2007, 12:01 AM
Slimline pen made from angle cut Blackheart Sassafras
Darren

Fox3
6th August 2007, 04:44 AM
Nice job and the wood has a lovely character too!

Simomatra
6th August 2007, 09:06 AM
Nice pen Darren
The angle cutting of the timber has really brought out the grain and colours

Great finish as usual

mick61
6th August 2007, 03:06 PM
Very nice. What finish have you used?
mick

Penpal
6th August 2007, 03:06 PM
You sure are on a roll,the list of species you have used this year would be as long as my arm,every one a revelation,man this is stimulating me into a new appreciation for so many old favourites if you asked me now my best timbers I would have to deeply consider before I said. All good, love the depth of colours and varieties,have run out of superlatives. Will close now with deepfelt thanks.

Peter:2tsup: :2tsup:

PenTurner
6th August 2007, 09:14 PM
Hello Darren, like the colouring and the grain, Amos

old dog
6th August 2007, 10:29 PM
looks great from here Darrin:2tsup:

bdar
6th August 2007, 11:17 PM
Thanks for the comments everybody the board was only 15mm thick and by cutting it at an angle you lose a bit in waist but what you lose in waist you gain in character in the blanks.

Mick I use a straight CA finish on nearly all of my pens now. Some oily timbers allow for the finish that nature gives it. Skew and some others will agree that you become aware of what each timber requires as a finish or what each potential market requires as well for a finish.

I use CA, it is not the be all and end all in finishes, Skew favours an oil finish, more natural, Peter has his and Brett, his. We may all have a different finish and we give each other a bit of a stir along the way, but 1 thing we don't say our finish is the best and only finish. Another is that we respect how a person finishes their pens and reasoning behind it.
Darren

ScrollZilla
6th August 2007, 11:39 PM
G'day Darren,
Wow, wonderful piece of wood...just beautiful. Of course, the craftsmanship is top notch. I think it is great how you all share your finishing techniques. I have learned so much from being around y'all.

Cheers,

Rick

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th August 2007, 11:45 PM
Darren's just being modest... he turns pens for sale and does a damned fine job of it... I'm lucky in that I just turn pens for me.

I haven't commented on recent pen posts, 'cos you can only say NPGJ so many times before it loses meaning. :rolleyes: Even when they really are NP's as most of Darren's are, in which case saying NPGJ is actually a form of backhanded insult. (Or is it? I'm confusing myself. Again... :doh:)

Just in case I'm wrong, NPGJ Darren! (<--- Ignore that if I'm right. :p)