PDA

View Full Version : Framing for a deck

me3_neuralfibre
6th August 2007, 05:59 PM
Is Sketchup an appropriate program to draw the framing / structure for a deck? I need to draw up the plans for council approval.

Thanx
Paul

bpj1968
13th August 2007, 10:53 AM
I just hand drew my deck plans. I had the original house plans, photocopied them, white out on the old deck and hand drew in the new one. The council were happy so long as it had the dimensions and was to scale. They are more concerned about the specs, beam sizes etc and not about how good a picture you can produce. My deck was a large one 3 metres above ground

Go in and speak to the planning dept. and see what they will accept. I went in with mine and showed them as I was working on it and not a problem. Yet everyone in my council area (Nillumbik) bitch about them.

The attached pictures are a scanned copy of the one I submitted and had approved. I had an engineer specify the 6 metre steel beams for the bearers. Photocopies of the span tables from Alan Staines book highlighting the joist selection and a letter addresseing the planning requirements (colour choice, removal of trees, etc). Not a problem at all.