PDA

View Full Version : tyres for mtb

weisyboy
6th August 2007, 09:36 PM
i have a

Apollo Ascension 2006 if (topFrame.coreLoaded) {document.write(coreFrame.convertshow("519.00",'1'));} if (topFrame.coreLoaded) {document.write(coreFrame.convert("519.00",true, 0));} else document.write("A$519.00");

FRAME: 7005 Aluminium gusseted frame with 50mm downtube and snake stays
FORKS: Suntour XCT
BRAKES: Tektro IO Mechanical Disc Brakes
DRIVETRAIN: Shimano Alivio 24 speed
WHEEL SET: Alloy parallax with quick release front and rear and cassette rear hub. Weinman ZAC-19 double wall alloy rims
EXTRAS: Rear Kickstand, Quick Relase Seat post
COLOUR: Platinum, Blue
http://www.apollobikes.com/sitebuilder/apolloproducts/large/4/ascension_brushed_allo.jpg

an need some bigger tyres for it as i canot get enough grip on the fire trails in the bfp.

any sugestions?
grip pattern?
width?

Bad Woodworker
6th August 2007, 09:42 PM
i have a

Apollo Ascension 2006 if (topFrame.coreLoaded) {document.write(coreFrame.convertshow("519.00",'1'));} if (topFrame.coreLoaded) {document.write(coreFrame.convert("519.00",true, 0));} else document.write("A$519.00");

FRAME: 7005 Aluminium gusseted frame with 50mm downtube and snake stays
FORKS: Suntour XCT
BRAKES: Tektro IO Mechanical Disc Brakes
DRIVETRAIN: Shimano Alivio 24 speed
WHEEL SET: Alloy parallax with quick release front and rear and cassette rear hub. Weinman ZAC-19 double wall alloy rims
EXTRAS: Rear Kickstand, Quick Relase Seat post
COLOUR: Platinum, Blue
http://www.apollobikes.com/sitebuilder/apolloproducts/large/4/ascension_brushed_allo.jpg

an need some bigger tyres for it as i canot get enough grip on the fire trails in the bfp.

any sugestions?
grip pattern?
width?
Have a look at a site called torpedo7.com.au You'll find everything you need and get all the advice your after and very cheap.
BW.

journeyman Mick
6th August 2007, 11:27 PM
What pressure are you running off road? It may be as simple as dropping the pressure from 80 psi down to say 35-40psi. Can't help you with tyre patterns/brands as I'm pretty out of touch and at the rate I'm riding it'll take me a while before I'm up for new tyres.

Mick

Daddles
7th August 2007, 12:52 AM
You need the pressures as low as you can without bottoming out the rims. Like Mick said, about 35 lb. Mtb experts talk in small variations below that.

As far as tyres go, I've got Velociraptors on my old Diamondback. They are a great tyre in soft and loose conditions, but useless on the road (unless you like road noise and effort). The rear tyre can be reversed for a mud tyre. I'm not moutain biker, more of a mountain piker :rolleyes:, but these tyres give me so much confidence I don't even think about traction - it's just there.

Richard

theMISSIONARY
7th August 2007, 11:14 PM
wider tyres will help but pressure is the main thing:cool:

i have two sets one set are Tioga 2.3DH tyres heavy and lots of friction but grip everything and wide so the "float" over the sand tracks here in WA

i also have a set of 1.6 knobby's(i can think of the brand) they need high pressure and they are not good for sand or deep mud....but good for every thing else....easier to get turning:2tsup:

Larson TT's are good....but its rare to find a truely bad MTB tyre

weisyboy
11th August 2007, 11:23 PM
i have them at 25 psi or i get nearly no traction on the loost stoney hills of the brisbane forest park after the motos have been out there. will have a look at that site and go from there.

theMISSIONARY
25th March 2008, 09:02 AM
how did you go with the tyre hunt:wink:

weisyboy
25th March 2008, 01:03 PM
have jsut kept batteling on with the ones iv got.

felixe
9th May 2008, 08:09 PM
weissyboy,

I have "syncros" point and chute tyres which grip very well, I use them riding around daisy hill.
Go to "for the riders" bike shop in Annerly - they will set you up with a good set of tyres. If you want good value for money go with steel bead, but if you want light weight and to fold the tyres for a kevlar bead.

Good luck.

weisyboy
9th May 2008, 08:11 PM
thanks i wight try them.