PDA

View Full Version : Just a bit Wonky.....

Stu in Tokyo
7th August 2007, 01:52 AM
I have this roughed out cherry bowl, that dried really wonky, totally out of round, and to add to the troubles, the tenon on the base of the bowl cracked away from the base :down:

Honestly, I should have put it in the "Interesting Firewood" pile, but, for some reason, I kept on trying to save this one.......
............I did the outside to a semblance of smooth :rolleyes: between centers, and then cut a new tenon on it, and flipped it around to do the inside...... :oo:

boy was this thing out of whack...... :(

52443 52444

I'd say the balance is out a tad on this one :rolleyes:

I got it done, with the help of a steady hand (lots of deep breathing) and nice sharp tools.........

52445 52446

Since the pics were taken I've turned off the bottom and I've started to spray this one with clear lacquer, I think there is enough going on here.

Thinnest point at the rim is somewhere around 1/16", the base is just under 1/4".

I'll post pics when it is done.

next time I get one like this it IS going in the burn pile, MAN I spent a LOT of time on this one.....:doh:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
7th August 2007, 02:09 AM
next time I get one like this it IS going in the burn pile, MAN I spent a LOT of time on this one.....:doh:

And I bet you loved every minute of it. :D From what I can see, it was worth it.

personally, I'm surprised that out of round is the only problem you had with it... I love turning cherry, but the stuff splits every time I even look at it. :~

Stu in Tokyo
7th August 2007, 02:23 AM
Well this is not the same "Cherry" that you are used to, it is actually Sakura, a bit different, but yeah, it does crack! :doh:

Cheers!

joe greiner
7th August 2007, 07:13 AM
Congratulations for your perseverance, Stu. I tried a stunt like that once. I found about half of the pieces, but the rest will have to await a complete cleanout of the shed.

Joe

Hardenfast
7th August 2007, 09:03 AM
Excellent work, Stu. Nice post and dramatic pictures of timber instability during the drying process - a problem associated with working unseasoned timber I guess. It's one of the reasons that I have been playing with a few segmented pieces.

Your posts are always nicely presented with WIP pics etc and are most informative - always something to learn. Quite fascinating to see how thin you have managed to turn this one - albeit with some investment of time. I've seen a few posts here where they talk about getting bowls so thin they are translucent.

Does the timber ever tend to distort again, even after seasoning?

Regards. Wayne

Cliff Rogers
7th August 2007, 09:38 AM
Good on Stu. :2tsup:

I see you still have that 'blatant advertising' stuck on your lathe. :D

OGYT
7th August 2007, 11:18 AM
Exceptional save, Stu. Good on ya!

Stu in Tokyo
7th August 2007, 12:11 PM
Wayne, thatnks.

Yeah, the wood will often continue to move when it gets this thin.

Cliff, think I'll get banned here too :o :D

Cliff Rogers
7th August 2007, 12:21 PM
....Cliff, think I'll get banned here too :o :D
Only if somebody notices it. :D

Caveman
7th August 2007, 05:26 PM
:2tsup: Nice one Stu.
I had a Joe Greiner experience in trying to save something way too distorted - got thinner and thinner, then eventually thin air!

I too vowed that the next one would join the firewood pile.

1/16th - thats a mite fine!

Stu in Tokyo
7th August 2007, 11:11 PM
Thanks Andy.

Here it is with a few coats of rattle can lacquer.......

Needs to dry a while and then I'll do the triple buffing!

And it's finishing mate, a Ginko HF...........

yep..............another REALLY crappy piece of wood, too soft, hard to turn, hard to sand...... REALLY good for the burn pile this stuff is......:rolleyes:

Cheers!

Cliff Rogers
7th August 2007, 11:45 PM
Still, 'tis an interesting shape.... :2tsup:

Will that rattle can lacquer stay glossy or does it dull down to satin?

(I'm not a big fan of glossy but is seems to sell well)

Stu in Tokyo
8th August 2007, 12:47 AM
This is the glossy stuff, so yeah.

I'll give it a few days, maybe even a week or so to out gas, and harden, then I'll go through the Beal buffing system, brown, white and wax, comes out super smooth.

For me it really depends, some things just look so nice with a super smooth glossy finish, this particular wood has a TON of chatoyance in the wood, so the smooth glossy finish shows that off, but I do hear you on the glossy stuff, can be done too much.

Cheers!