PDA

View Full Version : Valuable IP

rsser
8th August 2007, 05:26 PM
On two web forums I've been a member of hackers have got in and crashed them, wiping out all posts. A friggin tragedy cos of all the accumulated wisdom lost. The idiot posts? ... well, sometimes you can't tell what folks will learn something useful from.

So and ubeaut ... what are the risks? Any way members can help by saving off-line?

(OK : keep me guessing about those bits of timber ... Dead Finish?).

Wood Butcher
8th August 2007, 05:33 PM
Ern,

The server that this forum is on is backed up daily with a major backup done weekly (I think). The server also hosts sveral other forums and websites so the owners and very protective of unauthorised visitors.

Cheers
Rowan

RETIRED
8th August 2007, 06:07 PM
Very little chance of unwanted guests causing havoc.

Sorry Ern, the timber is Tiger Myrtle.

rsser
8th August 2007, 06:35 PM
Rowan, good news, thanks .. and I wasn't wanting to doubt the care taken here. Seems it wasn't enough elsewhere.

... well I'll be b*ggered. That's an eye opener for sure.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th August 2007, 06:38 PM
Timber? Timber? Enquiring minds want to know! :wink:

rsser
8th August 2007, 07:02 PM
Not much misses your eagle eye now does it? ;-}

... harking back to the last turnfest, demo'd bead-turning on a bit of redgum I think. When in the washup I found a couple of cylinders with steb centre marks, ...figured he'd come prepared but then made use of what had been mounted.

So I figure I'm the beneficiary of what he left behind. Still can't believe it's TM but he's the pro so what am I to argue?!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th August 2007, 07:06 PM
You should have a couple of redgum goblet blanks too, I think. Unless they followed someone home.

I'd planned to demo on one and then have some general hands-on time but, as ya know, I really, really, really didn't choose the best woods for "quick" turning. :rolleyes:

rsser
8th August 2007, 07:33 PM
Well buggered if I know.

Two bits with Stebcentre ends, don't look either like TM or redgum to me ... but what would I know? Amazing range of colours - mid brown to pink to purplish.

Do know David brought a cylinder of redgum about a metre long .... ?

Calm
8th August 2007, 09:57 PM
Happy for you to do what you like with it. That was half a veranda post but that was another project suspended

aaaaaaaaah well i can stil remember when i could use my lathe.

I still just think no more sanding or getting rid of wood chips, well dust really not the "curlies" like does.

rsser
8th August 2007, 10:12 PM
Hi David,

... way things are working out here: let's get together 2nd weekend next month and do some serious damage to those fine bits of wattle you kindly brought to the turnfest.

I'll be in touch ..

Calm
8th August 2007, 10:36 PM
Thanks ern for the offer that would be very enjoyable. i will see if i can find the new Hamlets i was given. You could have the privelidge of the first grind.

The turnfest was a highlight of a boring life at the minute.

I have heaps of questions on a broad range of wood subjects to milk you brain on.

Yep definitely looking forward to it.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th August 2007, 10:49 PM
If you let the rest of us know when you make the trip in, you might get one or two hecklers in the gallery, too. :wink:

Calm
8th August 2007, 11:22 PM
I was thinking of cooking a fruit cake or scones with jam & cream for the host but catering for a crowd well ..... i guess it means more scones and more fruit cake.

scooter
8th August 2007, 11:26 PM
Tiger Myrtle - 's always got plenty of that gear kicking around...

RETIRED
9th August 2007, 09:03 AM
Well buggered if I know.

Two bits with Stebcentre ends, don't look either like TM or redgum to me ... but what would I know? Amazing range of colours - mid brown to pink to purplish.

Do know David brought a cylinder of redgum about a metre long .... ?
Both the TM bits were mine and you are welcome to them Ern.

Tenoned to fit a chuck, I was going to turn a goblet but ran out of time.

rsser
9th August 2007, 11:50 AM
Thanks .

Tentative date for mini-turnfest: Sept 16.

David gets as much turning as he needs to feed the addiction. Brains trust welcome ... there's still some firewood to keep us warm.

reeves
10th August 2007, 09:35 AM
Ern on any professional server setup the database 'should' be backed up daily.
This means that if the front end DB gets wiped for any reason then it can be restored from backup.

Those sites host system really should have this setup.

On most of this kind of forum software its a matter of the admins going into the admin screens and backing up the DB to an SQL file. This can also be done via a server side cron job automatically so no one has to remember to do it.

As forums software is always database driven its difficult to save yr posts or anyone elses without just backing up the whole database. You can take advantage of the XML, RSS stuff if the forum lets you but without admin access you cant save the actual data.

I'd be more inclined to hassle the forum admins for not haveing proper backups or the host admins for screwing up than worrying about hackers.

The host admins should have had their whole server content inlcuding DB's backed up to tape daily, no excuses there.

I hope this makes sense..

cheeers
john

rsser
10th August 2007, 11:09 AM
Kind of. Thanks for trying.

I used to do auto backups of my PC files, 'til once I found a key db file had been corrupted, was 0 bytes and the backup was overwritten by it. Yeah, now I understand the diff btwn periodic full backups with incrementals in between.

rodent
10th August 2007, 11:22 AM
We're in crazy , jess and me ill bring the bbq ,the small hollower and bertha . MM 16th well now that looks good , :2tsup:your not busy that weekend are you ? Jess will be glad to see you and all the rest of you . I don't suppose you could make it down cliff ? No more business trips ?:cool: You had better start a new thread ern . Oh I know a little lady who would like a bit of tiger myrtle for a goblet .

rsser
10th August 2007, 12:37 PM
Will start new thread when I get back on Monday Rodent.

David's in charge this time ... it'll be spindle turning. A pedestal and top out of wattle.

BBQ sounds good ... will it come with snags? ;-}

RETIRED
10th August 2007, 01:21 PM
We're in crazy , jess and me ill bring the bbq ,the small hollower and bertha . MM 16th well now that looks good , :2tsup:your not busy that weekend are you ? Jess will be glad to see you and all the rest of you . I don't suppose you could make it down cliff ? No more business trips ?:cool: You had better start a new thread ern . Oh I know a little lady who would like a bit of tiger myrtle for a goblet .She will have to beg Ern for a piece. None left.:(

rodent
10th August 2007, 07:58 PM
BBQ sounds good ... will it come with snags? ;-}
.Crazy says yes we will see our butcher and order 50 snags ? be enough .

rsser
14th August 2007, 05:39 PM
... jump to new thread: http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=566509#post566509