PDA

View Full Version : Free to a good home

Wayne Blanch
8th August 2007, 05:50 PM
I helped a neighbour to cut down a poinciana tree this afternoon. He had no use for the wood so I suggested that I may be able to use some of it. So I took all the larger bits off his hands.:D

I don't know if Poinciana is any good for turning but IMO any free wood is worth a try. I would be interested if anyone can tell me if its okay.:?

There is too much here for my uses and I am having trouble finding places to put what I have here so if there is anyone in the Brisbane area I would be happy to give most of it away. (I only want to keep a couple of bits.)

Unfortunately if there are no takers I will probably have to take what I can not use to the dump.:C

Some of the larger pieces are about 350mm in diameter and up to about 700mm long.

If your interested pm me and we can take it from there
Regards
Wayne

Rookie
8th August 2007, 05:57 PM
Brisbane......figures :C

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th August 2007, 06:21 PM
When ya finally talk yourself into heading up there, Rookie, bring me back some too.

I've no idea how well Poincinia turns, but I'd love to find out what sort of figure is in those crotches... :D

scooter
8th August 2007, 11:05 PM
Some things don't change, Andy... ;) :D

joe greiner
8th August 2007, 11:16 PM
Google of [woodturning poinciana] got several hits. Third one today advises turning asap to preserve yellow colour. One of our club members at Tuesday's meeting suggests the same approach for grapefruit, else also loses colour and gets blue stain spalting. Your pic looks like it might be started.

Joe

TTIT
9th August 2007, 12:29 AM
Most important thing will be to spray them yesterday for the borers or you'll have nothing but a pile of dust by tomorrow - they go through it like a dose of salts!:o:o A mate turned a heap of it a few years back when he dropped a biggun' before I was into turning - he reckoned it was OK to practice on but not much good for anything else. :shrug:

Wayne Blanch
10th August 2007, 04:24 PM
G'day again all,
Well Barry (BazzaDLB) came down this afternoon to get some of this wood. (Nice to meet another forum member, and as expected he is a nice bloke.:2tsup: )

There is still a fair bit of the poinciana left if there is anyone else interested. If not I will probably be taking the stuff I can not use to the dump sometime late next week.:C

See ya
Wayne

Priemsy
10th August 2007, 05:23 PM
Notice it's classified as a weed, comes fro Madagascar. Nice looking weed though.

Paul

Dean
10th August 2007, 10:46 PM
G'day again all,
Well Barry (BazzaDLB) came down this afternoon to get some of this wood. (Nice to meet another forum member, and as expected he is a nice bloke.:2tsup: )

There is still a fair bit of the poinciana left if there is anyone else interested. If not I will probably be taking the stuff I can not use to the dump sometime late next week.:C

See ya
Wayne

Where abouts are ya in Bris? (roughly)

Wayne Blanch
11th August 2007, 11:49 AM
Where abouts are ya in Bris? (roughly)
Birkdale - Not far from Wellington Point. Only about 10 -15 minutes (Depends on traffic) from the Gateway motorway.

David H
11th August 2007, 07:05 PM
Wayne
I would be interested in having a look at what you have left. Will send you a PM for address
David H

Wayne Blanch
12th August 2007, 03:01 PM
David (David H) came by this morning with his lovely wife and picked up some of the Poinciana and John (Reeves) has PM'd me and I will be delivering some for him early next week. That will just about exhaust the supply. Sorry if you missed out.:((
I am really pleased that it wont be going to waste, and it has been great to meet some of the people from the forum in person.:2tsup:
Thanks to all who responded and took some of it from me!
I quickly knocked up this bowl (I didn't put too much effort into it - only spent about 15 minutes on it) to show Barry (Bazza DLB) what it might turn out like and I was really surprised at how yellow the end result was (The photo doesn't show the colour as well as I had hoped.) I just hope that it doesn't crack or warp too much.:no:

shedman
12th August 2007, 05:42 PM
I cannot advise as to the suitablity of this species for turning but like you would be happy to give a bit a try. I am in Dayboro so if you are northside Brisbane or close to city I could arrange to collect a couple of bits. Let me know
Thanks

David H
13th August 2007, 08:48 PM
Hi everyone
Here is some pics of my first turnings from the Poinciana timber that Wayne so kindly put on offer for free the other day. Done 2 dishes so far - first one chipped out the side when sanding so was unable to inprove the finish but took the 2nd one a bit more slower and I think it turned out a little better. Liked the rough bark on edge of dish so left it in place as a highlight. Hope you like this for a 1st dish turned on my lathe. Spent some time with Wayne checking out examples of his very talented work he has done. Will have to spend alot more time out in the shed to come anywhere near the quality of Waynes work. He also kindly gave me a piece of Mango so will have to see what I can make out of that.
David

reeves
14th August 2007, 09:51 AM
hey nice turnings David and good looking bowl Wayne, very clean look wood

Bob dropped a smalled block of it off the other day and it turns up pretty well.
Heres a small urn on top of a sample piece...the urn is about 3 inches high

Calm
14th August 2007, 10:04 AM
Very nice character in that timber.

Free.....................

Should have known it would be in Queensland..................

Wayne Blanch
14th August 2007, 03:55 PM
I cannot advise as to the suitablity of this species for turning but like you would be happy to give a bit a try. I am in Dayboro so if you are northside Brisbane or close to city I could arrange to collect a couple of bits. Let me know
Thanks
I have sent a PM to you Shed, I still have a couple of bits here if you are interested. Unfortunately I rarely get over to the northside or anywhere near Dayboro. Sorry:((

hey nice turnings David and good looking bowl Wayne, very clean look wood

Bob dropped a smalled block of it off the other day and it turns up pretty well.
Heres a small urn on top of a sample piece...the urn is about 3 inches high

Good looking Urn John, I really like the grain in that when it is dry.The stuff that I left at Craig's is still very green and when you turn it the end result is a lovely light yellow.:? Confusing ain't it.........:D

Hi everyone
Here is some pics of my first turnings from the Poinciana timber that Wayne so kindly put on offer for free the other day. Done 2 dishes so far - first one chipped out the side when sanding so was unable to inprove the finish but took the 2nd one a bit more slower and I think it turned out a little better. Liked the rough bark on edge of dish so left it in place as a highlight. Hope you like this for a 1st dish turned on my lathe. Spent some time with Wayne checking out examples of his very talented work he has done. Will have to spend alot more time out in the shed to come anywhere near the quality of Waynes work. He also kindly gave me a piece of Mango so will have to see what I can make out of that.
David

Nice work David, If my first dish/bowl had been that good I would have been ecstatic. A job well done.:2tsup:
Thanks for the complements :B but if you want to see some really good turnings just keep watching this forum, there are some really talented turners here.

See ya
Wayne

reeves
15th August 2007, 09:52 AM
Good looking Urn John, I really like the grain in that when it is dry.The stuff that I left at Craig's is still very green and when you turn it the end result is a lovely light yellow.:? Confusing ain't it.........:D

yeah, it look quite different to yr stuff, came up with a very marbled look, the small block was very dry with a bit of spalting. It pitted a fair bit when turned and took a fair bit of sanding to get it smooth. Its quite solid and has a nice resonance when u knowck it.

I used organoil burnishing oil and shellawax glow at 3000 rpm.

I can see how it can be useful turning wood with a real tropical feel to it..

cheeers
john