PDA

View Full Version : Deer Antler pens

swiftden
8th August 2007, 08:10 PM
Hello just thought i would ask some advice. a friend of mine who is an avid deer hunter gave me some antler when i asked for it for pen turning. I have yet to turn any pens even though i have bought the mandrel and a heap of slim line kits. I am thinking a slim line might not be the best choice of kit and i am looking for recommendations. also some advice on finishing it. regards Allan.
P.s. do you think ill get a few pens from these? the are from sheds not kills. i had heard that they were better?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th August 2007, 08:28 PM
I'm no expert with antler pens, but I've discovered a couple of things.

Firstly, it's best to use "thick" pen kits so that you can leave as much of the outside of the antler intact as possible. If you turn the outside away, what your left with tends to look pretty average... like a blotchy, dirty, stained piece of cream acrylic. :(

Of the antlers I've tried, the straight bits are too thick to use for pens (but make GREAT knife handles) and it's only the tips that re in the right ball-park. Of course, the tips are tapered, which makes it awkward to find usable pieces.

For me... it just ain't worth the headache. :no: Don't get me wrong: I love a well-done antler pen and I'm sure there are people who've mastered the art and are making them regularly. I've no wish to emulate them though.

lubbing5cherubs
8th August 2007, 10:06 PM
Gidday
you will get some nice pens there but beware they will stink out your sheds and don't leave it unswept Ants just love the invitation. Makes turning not fun when a nasty group of meat ants have moved in and you want to use the lathe. Well kind of makes a dance of it own. They do make a larger pen but the tips you can get some nice slimline out of.
that my 2 cents
bye Toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th August 2007, 10:08 PM
I was wondering where you were hiding, Toni! :D

lubbing5cherubs
8th August 2007, 10:12 PM
I am here. LOL Can't get rid of me that easy:D
Toni

Penpal
8th August 2007, 10:21 PM
Swiftden they look interesting,why not cruise the IAP American site they have a section called library and may have a tutorial on Antlers,like riding your motor bike without an exhaust you should do it if you can.

Take care Peter:2tsup:

bdar
12th August 2007, 12:45 AM
Allan you can always send them my way a I will check too see if the quality is there for you :D
Darren