PDA

View Full Version : Rosewood bowl

Lumber Bunker
9th August 2007, 07:12 PM
I just finished this one on the weekend and delivered it to the Hospital, to thank the midwifes and nurses who have been looking after my wife and new bub for the last three weeks, (the bub was premie) But they are home now and I thought a bowl full of "minties" would be a nice touch to say thanks.

The Timber is NSW Rosewood, this piece came from a stump, which explians the amazing grain!

It was great to work with and a real chalange to hollow out under the rim but I got there.
It's about 250mm across, and holds about 50 minties!

Enjoy.

Steve.

Wayne Blanch
9th August 2007, 07:16 PM
A beautiful bit of work, I am sure that the nurses will be pleased.:2tsup:
I hope that mum and bub are doing well, congrat's

Hardenfast
9th August 2007, 08:01 PM
Nice work, Steve. Beautiful symmetry. Where does one find a nice lump of figured rosewood like that? Got any at The Bunker? Maybe that can become our new measure of volume for timber vessels? Mintie capacity.

Congrats, by the way. First one?

Allan at Wallan
9th August 2007, 10:28 PM
Hi Steve,

Congratulations on the new arrival - it must be a
very happy time for you both.

"Its moments like these that you need a Minties bowl".
and you have done a good job with it.

Allan

I am not at all worried about dying
... but just hope I am not there at the time.

Harry72
9th August 2007, 11:45 PM
Well done Steve and congrats on the new arrival.

Caveman
10th August 2007, 12:00 AM
Hey Steve - nice one & congrats.
The form is pretty close my favorite shape so I'm bound to like it.

Any idea what the botanical name for NSW Rosewood is?

OGYT
10th August 2007, 04:45 AM
Nurses love minties! Ich auch!... Beautiful bowl to put 'em in.
Congratulations on the new addition to the family. You did well, both ways. :U

Sebastiaan56
10th August 2007, 07:07 AM
I just finished this one on the weekend and delivered it to the Hospital, to thank the midwifes and nurses who have been looking after my wife and new bub for the last three weeks, (the bub was premie) But they are home now and I thought a bowl full of "minties" would be a nice touch to say thanks.

The Timber is NSW Rosewood, this piece came from a stump, which explians the amazing grain!

It was great to work with and a real chalange to hollow out under the rim but I got there.
It's about 250mm across, and holds about 50 minties!

Enjoy.

Steve.

Hi Steve,

You realise you just blew the guessing competition! Let me know when they run one.

Seriously, beautiful timber, well brought out by your bowl! SWMBO was a midwife, they work hard and the care they give is exceptional, congrats,

Sebastiaan

TTIT
10th August 2007, 08:56 AM
Any idea what the botanical name for NSW Rosewood is?dysoxylum fraseranum

......... and holds about 50 minties!
The most important dimension!!:2tsup: Love Rosewood - it's such a pleasure to work! Top finish too.

rodent
10th August 2007, 11:34 AM
Steve congratulations on the new turner in the family .

You realise you just blew the guessing competition! Let me know when they run one Sebastiaan

well you could gess how many minties fit in jess's bowl you can supply the mints .LOL

Alastair
10th August 2007, 11:56 AM
Hi Steve,

Verrrrrry pretty!

Any details on finish?

This is a loaded question, as I have done a couple of pieces in NSW RW, finished with my long standing staple, (sanding sealer, friction dried on lathe, followed by danish oil, ditto friction dried, followed by friction applied carnauba wax, burnished off with heavy friction , to a semi matt effect)

With time, both started "weeping" a dark, aromatic oil, and either that, or the finish itself turned into a soft sticky mess. I redid the finish, and all seemed to be fine, but I notice that one piece, (lidded jewellry box for my daughter) is showing slight signs again, on the inside only, after 5 years.

I have tended to steer away from NSWRW since, if the piece is likely to go out of my control.

regards

rsser
10th August 2007, 12:32 PM
Lovely piece Steve. Congrats on both births.

Lumber Bunker
10th August 2007, 12:33 PM
Finishing Rosewood is always tricky...
no your finish did turn to goop! the goop is in the timber...
On really hot days (several in a row normally) we get some weaping. but once indoors and sealed it's not such a problem, Some people have a really complex method of finishing... This one is U-beaut sanding sealer and U-beat Trad wax. If i run into trouble with seepage it'll be easy enough to repair...

Prehaps Neil can chime in with a good solution to the goop!

As for where to get the timber, we had alot like it in the shop for the last year... But because it is from a stump it looks really ratch-it so no one bought it, they where only a couple of buck too! Some of our customers got lucky and got some, but other where not willing to take the risk on buying rough sawn, ratty looking timber... I try and tell them, i even so them finished samples but, the risk is not worth it (for some) ;)

TTIT is right on with the bot. name

Cheer guys.
Steve

TTIT
10th August 2007, 01:53 PM
...........With time, both started "weeping" a dark, aromatic oil, and either that, or the finish itself turned into a soft sticky mess. I redid the finish, and all seemed to be fine, but I notice that one piece, (lidded jewellry box for my daughter) is showing slight signs again, on the inside only, after 5 years.

I've had the same problem with a few small lidded boxes and I asked the question on the forum a while back but nobody came up with a solution.:C I'm convinced it's a condensate from the odour rosewood exudes because, as you say, it is only on the inside of enclosed items. I've also seen it where sawn boards have been laying flat against each other. My Dad had no end of trouble with a grandmother clock he made from it until he vented the carcase. I'll still keep using the stuff regardless 'cos it's just so nice but I'll make sure it can all breathe!:;

Caveman
10th August 2007, 04:51 PM
dysoxylum fraseranum

Thanks Vern.

BernieP
10th August 2007, 06:57 PM
G'Day Steve

Congrats to you and missus, an exceptional bowl:2tsup:

Cheers
Bernie

robynmau
14th August 2007, 03:54 PM
My goodness, that is one beautiful piece the shape has captured the best of the grain. The nurses will enjoy looking at it for a long time to come:U

All the best to you and your family

cheers

Robyn