PDA

View Full Version : Tormek question

Grahame Collins
10th August 2007, 12:36 AM
Hi guys,
I am new to this particular forum ,but mostly hang around the metal work forum making a nuisance of myself.

I am not new to sharpening and have 10 or 11 different types of stones for different

I have scored a used Tormek Supergrind 2000 with most of the accessories a stand and manual.It came from a high school and has not seen too much use as it was quicker to sharpen chisels and planes by hand on the grinder when needed and then handstone them.

My question is about the stone. Should the stone run pretty much concentric ? Mine is about 6mm out of concentric.
One of the accessories looks like a dresser,so i can have a chop at it.
The leather wheel looks a bit dry,what usually does one do use leather dressing or replace the leather wheel?

Thanks in advance
Grahame

Cliff Rogers
10th August 2007, 01:21 AM
My turn. :D (this is my opinion)

I have one, they are slow.

They tend to go out of round if the are left sitting stopped with the water trough up around the stone. IE, it swells unevenly & then is worn unevenly.
You can dress them back to round BUT... you are wasting expensive stone.

The thing runs so bloody slow that it doesn't matter if it is out of round.
I (and the experts) only dress it if it has a hollow in it before grinding a large flat blade.

I'm a turner & used to use it for my bowl gouge so mine got a grove in it.
That didn't matter for the gouge but it was no good for the skew or my flat chisels.

I have gone back to the fast grinder for my turning tools but the Tormek does a bloody shithot job of things like knives, secateurs & scissors etc.

Cliff Rogers
10th August 2007, 01:22 AM
BTW. If it didn't cost you anything, you just saved more that I did on my steel. :D

Grahame Collins
11th August 2007, 07:14 PM
Thank you Cliff

I snavelled the Tormek for $200 with several attachments.

Its a bit grubby . I will repaint it in its factory color.I intend to see how it handles my crappy old Stanley chisels. I like the leather strop as I normally strop most things I that I sharpen.If it does not do what I want it to i don't think I'll lose on the resale.

Most stuff I stone and then polish on an old ceramic tile I got from the coal industry and polished for 2 hours on an industrial linisher to get the tits off.

Thanks again

Grahame

Cliff Rogers
11th August 2007, 11:34 PM
Did you get the book &/or the video?

PM me if you would like to borrow them.

Wongo
12th August 2007, 12:27 AM
I have one too. It is great for Jointer and thicknesser blades.

Ray in Kingwood
12th August 2007, 01:42 PM
I agree the thing is slow as molasses...

I bought the whole kit with everything.....It works great for turning tools and everything else.......I still find myself touching up on the grinder