PDA

View Full Version : Gifkins dovetail jig

sbolton
10th August 2007, 04:14 AM
Hi:

I am wondering if anyone call tell me, in inches, what the minimum distance between the center of the dovetail pins are when created with the Gifkins dovetail jig.

I am still looking and I am thinking about the Leigh or the Gifkins. With the Leigh I beleive the minimum distance between the center of the dovetail pins is one inch.

Thanks for any info.

sbolton

floobyduster
10th August 2007, 10:39 AM
You will find all the specs on their web site at http://www.gifkins.com.au/TemplateSpecifications.html - they are in metric (divide by 25.4 to get inches)

Ashore
10th August 2007, 01:40 PM
Hi Sbolton , The Gifkin jig is not adjustable the pin spacing is set on the template and for the small , using thinner material is 20mm or 3/4" and the large template for thicker material is about 40mm or 1-1/2"
Mate if you do go with the Gifkin set up spend the extra $ and get the finger joint template as well , I picked one up at the last wood show here ( late June ) and it is as easy to use as the dovetail jig and the results are fantastic. The total package though a tad expensive is worth every cent:2tsup:
But follow flooby's advice and have a good look at the web site

Rgds

munruben
10th August 2007, 05:54 PM
Hi Sbolton , The Gifkin jig is not adjustable the pin spacing is set on the template
There is a set of spacers you can purchase from Gifkins that enables you to adjust the spacings of the layout but it is limited in its application in that regard. I have never found it a problem myself.
I too deliberated between the Leigh and the Gifkins and chose the Gifkins. It is easy to use and I got excellent results with the jig straight out of the box.
In an ideal world, I would have both jigs.:D