PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to Bigpond?

billbeee
11th August 2007, 07:44 AM
I am having a bit of a saga with my Bigpond broadband account, long story, won't go into it here.

If I tell them to shove it, who is a good alternative provider?

I am currently on a 400MB 512 ADSL plan and I could use more.

Cheers
Bill

Pat
11th August 2007, 07:54 AM
Have a look at westnet (http://www.westnet.com.au)

Fuzzie
11th August 2007, 08:21 AM
I've been using iiNet for a while. Their plans change now and again depending on Telstra's resale policies but being in Darwin you might be able to get onto their Broadband2 network which offers higher speeds at less cost. They have a range of entry level plans that start with 1 or 2 Gig download limits and they don't charge extra if you go over, they just throttle your speed back until the end of the month.

We started making big savings when we started using their voip at a time when we were having a lot of interstate calls. We now get 15c untimed calls to Melbourne. That saving just about makes our broadband plan free!

Check out http://www.iinet.net.au/products/broadband/plans.html

Barry Hicks
11th August 2007, 08:36 AM
G'day Billbee. I'm with Pat on Westnet after having been down the Bigpond path.
I searched around for an Oz owned and operated ISP where the people manning the help desk had English as their first language.
Westnet consistently rates very highly in user opinion polls whereas Bigpond is near the tail end. Westnet are based in WA and have been around for about 12 years.

Dean
11th August 2007, 10:10 AM
I am on Optus cable, but at the office they have TPG ADSL. Never had many problems. Service seems good. Not sure how they rate price-wise against the competition though.

Big Shed
11th August 2007, 10:42 AM
I am having a bit of a saga with my Bigpond broadband account, long story, won't go into it here.

If I tell them to shove it, who is a good alternative provider?

I am currently on a 400MB 512 ADSL plan and I could use more.

Cheers
Bill

Don't know how much you're paying Mexican Telecoms for that plan, (don't forget that whole 400mb includes both download and upload!:(), but have a look at Internode. Adelaide based, have been around since Adam was a boy, great service, have had to use the help desk once got trhough in 2 minutes! They consistenly rate in the top 3 on Whirlpool, #1 at present. I have never had any issues with them.

How much you ask?

I am on the 512-$39.95/mth, plan for that I get 5Gb download limit, with throttling to 56 after that, upload not counted. $5 more will get you 8Gb/mth.
They have a good VOIP service too, although I haven't used it yet, even though my modem/router is VOIP enabled (Billion 7404).

Internode (http://www.internode.on.net/adsl/index.htm)

Whirlpool (http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/)

Grunt
11th August 2007, 10:55 AM
I'm with Internode too and have been for 4 years. The only time I've had to talk with them is when I moved. I was number 3 in the queue and talked to a real person in about 5 minutes.

I've got an 8000/512 30GB account for $80 a month.

ptc
11th August 2007, 11:49 AM
Westnet.
They even speak english.
nothing is to much trouble.
Best service you could get

macca2
11th August 2007, 12:15 PM
I have been with iinet for some years now. Started with dialup and now have ADSL2+ and have no complaints.
Great service and fantastic 24/7 help desk
Macca

Master Splinter
11th August 2007, 02:45 PM
Choose any other ISP.

You are already with Telstra, so thats the worst service and highest price - things can only get better!

Ashore
11th August 2007, 02:54 PM
Definately look at the whirlpool link Big Shed gave you , it gives a good comparison of all the providers pros and cons:2tsup:

q9
11th August 2007, 04:02 PM
Another vote for internode.

We use westnet at work, and in that time we've had 6 major disruptions to the service - sometimes fixed quickly, other times it carried on to the next day.

Never had a single problem with internode in the same time...

martrix
11th August 2007, 04:10 PM
Bigpoo internet service in the last few weeks has been deplorable.:(( Disconnects every 15 minutes and no service for half a day last Sunday. Still getting the disconnects on Cable.:~

What ever you do, tell Telstra to hit the road.....they bite.

rat52
11th August 2007, 08:06 PM
I'm on internode ,20 G and the only time it slows is after my son leaves the computer on all week to down load a heap of movies (which are all usually of such poor quality they become comedies. He'll never learn.) :D

Even when we moved house the were able to switch over within 7 days.:2tsup:

Pat
11th August 2007, 09:50 PM
Westnet, 20 Gb peak/ 40 Gb off peak . . . means I can d/load what I want in off peak and the boy can play WOW in peak . . .

leannek
11th August 2007, 09:57 PM
Hi, I'm another one for IINET. Have been with them for more than 3 years and cannot fault their service. Originated in Perth and have predominantly grown by word of mouth. VOIP is so cheap for all calls - especially OS. Cheers Leanne

billbeee
12th August 2007, 06:08 AM
Thanks everybody for the information, just great. I am going to shift, probably to Internode.

I had found the Whirlpool site before, but not got past a list of about 30 providers. This thread has narrowed it down to three who are each streets ahead of Bigpond.

(I just made a typing error and spelled it bogpond, maybe I should have left it:-).

Cheers
Bill

Ramps
12th August 2007, 11:28 PM
I found I couldn't get a better price than AAPT.
They've been very good to me when I moved and had to drop the contract (no charge) then 18 months later they reconnected me, sent me a new modem and said I had to have a contract period of 0 months (yes zero)
At $40/month 512k speed and 12 Gb download it was a great deal when i (last) signed up about 12months ago.
Service has mostly been very good

black1
13th August 2007, 03:58 PM
ive got iinet adsl2 24mbps 20/40 gig $69 a month cool even though i only get about 10/15mbps

351shaker
23rd August 2007, 10:15 PM
Hi,
Get with the strength, go 'INTERNODE'. I had been with Bigpond for the past 6-7yrs. and as another member suggested, for around $40 you get 400mb combined up & download ( Ned Kelly was a gentleman ) !
I changed to Internode 6mths back & have No problems (bit of time wasting at join and setting up but once set-up they are tops ).

Termite
24th August 2007, 02:32 PM
Internode, been with them for 2 years on the advice of a lot of members of this forum. Not a single problem.

David L
24th August 2007, 04:38 PM
I have had no problems with Supernerd http://supernerd.com.au/index.htm

Can't remember ever having a drop out, they speak English,
and are very help full. Highly recommended.

Geoff Dean
28th August 2007, 06:13 PM
I'm with Westnet, 1.5mb/256K 1 Gb $60 month.

Best tech help around, I had a second hand router that was password locked, they were able to take me thru unlocking and resetting password over the phone.

And you talk to someone on the phone who knows what they are talking about.

Reputation as the best tech help for Macs also.

Voted no. 1 ISP in Australia in Customer Satisfaction

les88
28th August 2007, 11:40 PM
I have been with Bigpond Adsl for years the monthly bill has been $69.95 which I didn't mind for the speed and no download limits. Tonight I got an email telling me of an increase to $89.95. I'll have to think on it.:(:(:(
les

tanii51
5th September 2007, 09:28 PM
get a price from adam internet been with them for years in adelaide ... very good

billbeee
6th September 2007, 06:53 AM
Hi All,
Thanks for the input,
I gave Bigpond the Big "A" last week (waited till I'd reached 3/4 of my limit).
I switched to Internode and did a "churn" swapover, they contacted bigpond and did it all. Flawless. Cost me $39 for swap fee instead of over $100 as a separate start up.
Happy as Larry, radio, video, world's my oyster now.
Cheers
Bill

Big Shed
6th September 2007, 09:53 AM
Another happy Internode customer:2tsup:

Never ceases to amaze me that BigPond has any customers at all:no: