PDA

View Full Version : my first sierra...snakeskin

ss_11000
11th August 2007, 04:51 PM
i finally got a chance to turn something.

and it just happened to be a snakeskin sierra. this wsas my first sierra and my first snakeskin. i rather like the snakeskins both turning and finished product.

i finished them with MM 12000 and mothers car polish. its on a black ti platinum kit???

overall. i'm pretty happy with it.

i'm thinking about giving this one away as a present to a friend but if i dont, is $80-90 a fair price to charge including a case (a nice one not a cheap plastic one )

cheers

Fox3
11th August 2007, 06:23 PM
Very nice job! Those snake skin blanks are growing on me!

As for pricing, I really do not have a clue :(.

I am getting the urge to try some different styles and at least give the plastic blanks a go.

I'm still confused about the MM stuff, how does it stand up and is it significantly better than sanding to 600 and then using EEE?

Thanks!

BernieP
11th August 2007, 06:43 PM
G'Day Stirlo

Good to see you turning again, a very nice pen.

Cheers
Bernie

schaf
11th August 2007, 07:01 PM
Stirlo,a very nice pen. The skin goes real nice with the black titanium.
I think $80 is a good price but maybe th e more experienced could give you a better idea then myself.

Terry

jess
11th August 2007, 07:37 PM
mate, that looks really good.
i find it amusing that you finished it with ya mums car polish though! :q
lol
nice work
:2tsup:

lubbing5cherubs
11th August 2007, 08:00 PM
Welcome back. Stirlo I thought you must of sold your lathe... NICE EFFORT you definitely have not forgotten how to do it
bye Toni

Froggie40
11th August 2007, 08:17 PM
Very nice Stirlo you have done both the kit and blank justice, as for price well $80 to $90 is what I would ask for it possibly even try to push it out to $100.
Well done mate and I am glad you like them especially as I am the bloke that sold them to you.

Regards
Froggie

bdar
11th August 2007, 11:28 PM
Stirlo, too cheap mate, sold one similar for $125 and the guy felt he got a bargin at that price, he thought at least $150. You look at it mate there are only a few that are making theses pens and we are spread across the country so there is no direct competition unless we all get websites and start selling on the net. You have done a knock out job on the skin Stirlo and it comands top dollar my friend keep puuting out your quality work.
darren

ss_11000
12th August 2007, 01:15 AM
Very nice Stirlo you have done both the kit and blank justice, as for price well $80 to $90 is what I would ask for it possibly even try to push it out to $100.
Well done mate and I am glad you like them especially as I am the bloke that sold them to you.

Regards
Froggie
thanx brett.
when the budget allows it, i will get some more from you.
i tried the finishing pads i got off you too and they worked great.

Welcome back. Stirlo I thought you must of sold your lathe... NICE EFFORT you definitely have not forgotten how to do it
bye Toni
lol, sell the lathe nah, never ( unless the proceeds went towards a nother lathe :D)

mate, that looks really good.
i find it amusing that you finished it with ya mums car polish though! :q
lol
nice work
:2tsup:
lol

thanx for the advice to darren.

thanx everyone for the comments:2tsup:

cheers

Jiminidaho
12th August 2007, 02:36 AM
Did you purchase the blank or make it on your own?

Jim

DJ’s Timber
12th August 2007, 11:07 AM
Very nice Stirlo :2tsup:, whoever receives the pen will be very happy with it

Simomatra
12th August 2007, 11:39 AM
Well done Stirlo you have done the blank proud

Got to agree with Bdar it worth at least $100 and possible push for a little more

Nice way to celebrate my 1000 post

Keep them coming

ss_11000
12th August 2007, 08:52 PM
Well done Stirlo you have done the blank proud

Got to agree with Bdar it worth at least $100 and possible push for a little more

Nice way to celebrate my 1000 post

Keep them coming

thanx sam. congrats on the 1000th post...i just realised i 'm over 3000, cant remember making that many.

Very nice Stirlo :2tsup:, whoever receives the pen will be very happy with it
yeah they were. the bloke i was going to give it to wouldnt accept it for nothing so he gave me $50 for it cos i wouldnt charge him full price.
i 'sold' it to an umpire coach/friend who took me down to wollongong earlier this year and he liked my pens and asked me to make some for him. he has been alot of help this year to, so it felt good to give him something back.

cheers

ps, jim the blank was bought off APK ( addictive pen kits ) which import from america thru another company whose name escapes me right now, sorry.

karlkuehn
12th August 2007, 09:14 PM
Wow, I think I like that pen the best out of all the snakes I've seen thus far!

ss_11000
12th August 2007, 10:44 PM
now i just got to find some time to do the rattlesnake blank i got ( at least from memory it was rattlesnake...)

hopefully on thursday if i can get it off school ( because technically i dont have to go, but technically usually doesnt do any good with mum:duh: )

ScrollZilla
14th August 2007, 11:50 PM
G'day Stirlo,
Great job on the pen, it turned out well (pardon the pun). It is funny for me to see that you sold it at a discount price of $50. Nobody in my area sells those type of pens, and I have a hard time getting $40 for them lol. Nicely done.

Cheers,
Rick

ss_11000
26th August 2007, 02:40 PM
did my second one today. sierra (tg and blk tg ) in python...pics will come later.

cheers

Simomatra
26th August 2007, 05:34 PM
did my second one today. sierra (tg and blk tg ) in python...pics will come later.

cheers

Hurry up Stirlo :worthless::D

ss_11000
26th August 2007, 09:08 PM
Hurry up Stirlo :worthless::D
yeah yeah.. here they are.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?p=575001#post575001