PDA

View Full Version : Beall Buffing System

Caveman
11th August 2007, 07:04 PM
G'day,
Do any of you own/use a Beall (http://www.bealltool.com/products/buffing/buffer.php) buffing system???
Is it a useful/worthwhile weapon in the turners armory? I have been looking at it on the net and seen it mentioned in several places as being pretty effective.
Sure looks good in this (http://www.woodcraft-gallery.com/StreamingMedia/bealbuff.wmv) short video.

Also, I have seen mentioned that it should not be used to finish any work already oiled with BLO - why might this be?

Thanks

HansGScholte
11th August 2007, 11:27 PM
I use a buffing system like Beall's and am quite happy with it.
On hard woods I sand up to 400-800 and use all three buffs.
On softer woods I put on at least one coat of sanding sealer, then just white diamond and wax.

I bought the bowl buffs have not used them jet.

Hans

Caveman
13th August 2007, 04:53 PM
Hi Hans - welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the response.

Lumber Bunker
13th August 2007, 05:16 PM
The owner of this board, has a very impressive buffing system that also uses tripolli (EEE)

Caveman
13th August 2007, 07:05 PM
Thanks Steve - will have a look at it.

hughie
14th August 2007, 02:23 PM
Andy,
I've got about 60% of Beall type system....:U

Had a couple of cotton buffs lying around so I put em on a couple of home made mandrels Wella! Works for me.

Maybe if you can find some cotton buffs at your local buffery ....:U

The main part seems to be the compound and some simple method of mounting em on the lathe or whatever. Have seen a three some mounting, it worked just fine.

Caveman
14th August 2007, 05:30 PM
Hughie - thanks - yep, definately on the cards. Looking around for the right materials - seems to be important??? - cotton/lint/flannel. Not entirely sure I know what the difference is between them. I guess if they are all cotton it doesn't make too much difference?
Not too sure about the local buffery option - sounds like a scary place!

I have an old grinder I can convert and/or the motor & headstock of an old roadside (jua kali) chaiwanese MC900 type lathe.

Frank&Earnest
14th August 2007, 06:35 PM
Yes, Caveman, buffery looks scary, especially if Hughie has mistyped the g's. :)

A buffing "system", on the other hand, is something I'm also trying to put together converting an old lathe.

As LB said the local favourite is the Ubeaut swansdown mop that can be used with both a tripoli polish and a shellac/wax finish. I got 2 from Neil's very hands:wink: and plan to make a lathe mount for the 4", as recommended, to use with the EEE, and to use the 6" with Shellawax on the converted old lathe. Hope this will work well with both carvings and turnings.

The way I understand it from the info sheets (corrections, please!) is that this system assumes sanding up to 600 then polishing with EEE then finishing, while the Beall assumes a preliminary stage that replaces the finer sanding. Is that it? If it is, does the added complication really provide a better result?

rsser
14th August 2007, 09:39 PM
Recusant position follows, beware!

Why do it FFS??

It's wood ... not marble or corian or some other plastic.

HansGScholte
14th August 2007, 11:45 PM
For the interested, in the system I bought:
buff 1 is cotton, stitched, used with tripoli
buff 2 is cotton, not stitched, used with 'white diamond'
buff 3 is flannel, which is much softer than cotton, not stitched, used with carnauba wax

To be able to work with bigger pieces I put plywood discs on the buffs and fixed them in the middle of a 12 mm threaded rod, 500 mm long. One end goes into the chuck. The other end is supported by a piece of wood that fits in the revolving centre.

http://www.houtdraaienindehaarlemmermeer.nl/linkedimages/buff_1.jpg

Hans

Frank&Earnest
15th August 2007, 06:56 PM
Yep, Hans, the world is really small...:)

rsser
15th August 2007, 09:23 PM
Yep, Hans, the world is really small...:)

Yep, my Dad grew up in Utrecht and my uncle still does a little woodcarving in Amersfoort.

Haarlem figures in the family history but I'm afraid I can't recall where any more.

Welcome to the forum Hansje ;-}

HansGScholte
16th August 2007, 01:17 AM
I noticed before this is the most internationally oriented woodturning forum of them all

Hans

joe greiner
16th August 2007, 01:59 PM
I noticed before this is the most internationally oriented woodturning forum of them all

Hans

It certainly is, Hans. Welcome aboard.

Joe

Frank&Earnest
16th August 2007, 10:44 PM
Well, Andy, I had to check your coordinates on Google Earth... you have a really big place, have you? :D

Caveman
17th August 2007, 12:00 AM
Well, Andy, I had to check your coordinates on Google Earth... you have a really big place, have you? :D

:D not really (not big enough - no more space to plant trees):D .

woodash
19th August 2009, 11:30 AM
hi, guys can anyone tell me where i can buy this system from, or a similar system or even just the pads & all so EEE, diamond compound, and wax??? any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks Woodash