PDA

View Full Version : Frets - glue or not??

old_picker
11th August 2007, 08:19 PM
just wondering who glues down their frets and who doesnt and the rationale either way
i am talking new fretboard here

oz tradie
11th August 2007, 08:29 PM
I use C.A.. glue and fret press the suckers in. But I'm definitely open to newer and better methods.
Anyone ?

cheers, Stu

kiwigeo
11th August 2007, 08:42 PM
I use Titebond I. I run a thin bead along the tang and then hammer in the fret. The glue is added security to hold the fret in and the water in the glue swells the wood a bit to help keep the fret home.

To get a fret out that's been glued, run a gun type soldering iron along the fret to loosen the glue before carefully walking it out with fret pliers.

bricks
11th August 2007, 08:51 PM
I didn't know you could put frets in without glue?
I suppose thats what the little nobby bit are for?:?

rhoads56
11th August 2007, 10:55 PM
Never glue frets in a new guitar, its simply not needed. Only occassionally do i glue frets in refrets, more generally they are rosewood boards.

kiwigeo
12th August 2007, 08:00 AM
To glue or not to glue, theres no blanket rule. Alot of well known luthiers glue their frets while just as many don't. IMO it's a situation where you're not using alot of extra time to add the glue to the fret tang and on a curved fretboard I believe its beneficial. I would certainly reccomend gluing in the uppermost fret as I usually file off the tang studs to avoid splitting the fretboard between the last fret and the soundhole.

Horse for courses, like a lot of things in luthiery you do what works for you.

zenobia
12th August 2007, 11:53 AM
I have been using the epoxy glue in method used in Dan Erlewines book. It is also discussed on the OLF forum.

First I make the slots a little wider, I just run the saw back and forward a few times to open it up. Rub a bit of wax on the board to prevent the glue sticking trying not to get any in the slot. Run a small amount of glue into the slot and press the frets in with the drill press using the correct shaped caul. A good sign is that excess glue is pushed out the sides of the slot. Then I have one of those Stew Mac aluminium radius blocks (which are very nice tools though xxy) and I clamp the fret board to it to ensure the fret are all level and do not rise as they dry.
I use system 3 slow cure epoxy. It dries very hard and glassy and people seem to think this is good for tone. It also fills up an space in the slot not taken up by the tang and makes the board stronger and more resistant to bending which is more important on a steel string than an electric due to the larger string gauges. It also seals the slot from moisture.
Does it make any difference? No idea.
Dom

Paul B
13th August 2007, 10:40 AM
I press my frets in with a caul, faster than hammering them and doesn't dent them or change their radius. I use a little titebond on the fret tang, but it functions as more of a lubricant when pushing them in, with the added benifit of being a glue.

As Martin said, heating them up with a soldering iron softens the glue when you need to pull 'em for a refret. Been there, done that.