PDA

View Full Version : Broken wet wheel

Groggy
11th August 2007, 11:48 PM
Pulled out my Scangrinder today to do a bit of sharpening. Found the wheel was cracked from rim to centre :((.:((

jmk89
11th August 2007, 11:56 PM
So did you give up?

Or did you invest in making a Derek Cohen 10c sharpening system?

You wouldn't have a little thing like that stand in the way, would you?

Groggy
12th August 2007, 12:02 AM
So did you give up?

Or did you invest in making a Derek Cohen 10c sharpening system?

You wouldn't have a little thing like that stand in the way, would you?Give up? No. I used the other Scangrinder - I have a spare - from Derek as coincidence would have it :D

Cliff Rogers
12th August 2007, 12:32 AM
How did it break? :?

Did something fall on it or was it just the climatic conditions?

Pops
12th August 2007, 04:49 PM
Hi Groggy,

I thought it ain't broke without pictures ?? :D

What Cliff said. How come you reckon ?? Bit of a shock to discover!

Cheers
Pops

Groggy
12th August 2007, 04:56 PM
I have a picture but can't put it up at the moment because I am having a technical problem with my account.

I think the crack came from it drying out but I must confess I don't really know for sure. It certainly has not been knocked or dropped :no: .

EDIT: tech problem fixed - here it is :C

Wood Butcher
12th August 2007, 05:28 PM
Given the slow rpm of the scangrind, could you still use it. At worst it will just fall apart, not go flying around the room like a bench grinder.

ozwinner
12th August 2007, 05:34 PM
Greg, Ive got one of them Tormek things with the same sized wheel and havent had any probs over 6 years with it.

Makes me wonder from your pic, there isnt a timber insert in the centre of the wheel that has expanded to make it crack?

Al :?

Groggy
12th August 2007, 05:35 PM
Given the slow rpm of the scangrind, could you still use it. At worst it will just fall apart, not go flying around the room like a bench grinder.I'll certainly give it a go. This one is set up for large blades (jointer & thicknesser) and I'll have to sharpen them soon so I'll let you know.

Groggy
12th August 2007, 05:37 PM
Greg, Ive got one of them Tormek things with the same sized wheel and havent had any probs over 6 years with it.

Makes me wonder from your pic, there isnt a timber insert in the centre of the wheel that has expanded to make it crack?

Al :?(Had to go and check) No Al, it is a dark plastic.

ozwinner
12th August 2007, 05:42 PM
(Had to go and check) No Al, it is a dark plastic.

Good, got to eliminate the obvious first as it doesnt seem possible to crack a wheel like that without some sort of impact or swelling.

Next, quiz the family. :U:U:U

Al :)

Groggy
12th August 2007, 05:45 PM
Next, quiz the family. :U:U:U

Al :)My daughter admitted guilt but I think it was just the thumbscrews talking...

Going to be a mystery I think Al, an expensive mystery.

derekcohen
12th August 2007, 08:08 PM
Greg

Sorry to hear of the break. Good thing you have a spare! :D

Before either discarding the wheel or replacing it, try epoxying it back together. This works for waterstones...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Groggy
12th August 2007, 08:36 PM
Epoxy eh? Hmmm.

Won't that affect its expansion rate?

As a matter of interest, when you had the Scangrind, did you keep the wheel wet or dry it out after use?

derekcohen
12th August 2007, 08:41 PM
I only usedit a few times. When I trued it, however, it was always dry. That way it is possible to see what the surface is doing.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Pops
12th August 2007, 08:46 PM
Groggy,

Yep, the picture says broke alright. Sorry about that mate.

If you give the epoxy a try and true the face again let us know how it all goes. Best of luck!!

Cheers
Pops

Stuart
12th August 2007, 09:55 PM
Does it get to sub zero around your shed? That'll crack stones!

As to the expansion & epoxy - it's already broken - what have you got to loose?

BobL
12th August 2007, 09:59 PM
Groggy, Is it possible it was left for a long period half in and half out of water? This can cause preferential expansion and occasionally lead to cracks.

Anyway I reckon the epoxy is definitely worth a go.
Cheers

ozwinner
12th August 2007, 09:59 PM
Does it get to sub zero around your shed? That'll crack stones!

I was thinking that too Stu, but I couldnt see it getting below zero in any shed in Melbourne.

ozwinner
12th August 2007, 10:01 PM
Groggy, Is it possible it was left for a long period half in and half out of water? This can cause preferential expansion and occasionally lead to cracks.

Ive left mine with the well filled with water, the water evaporates far too quickly, like days.

Al :)

Stuart
12th August 2007, 10:15 PM
I was thinking that too Stu, but I couldnt see it getting below zero in any shed in Melbourne.

I thought that - but is was snowing around Melbourne only a week or two ago, and I had a good 5 mm of ice on my car to remove one morning, and my shed roof had a layer of ice as well, so I thought it might just be (an unlikely) possibility.

Andy Mac
12th August 2007, 10:21 PM
I left mine in the water once and reckon it swelled one side and dried out the other, so never did it again. No crack though. Have you done anything different, like tighten the locating nuts on the shaft?? Clutching at straws here...:-

Cheers

Groggy
12th August 2007, 10:24 PM
When I get some time I'll try the epoxy.

As for the freezing - jeez, I have no idea. I know what Stuart is talking about, the really cold snap we had - I also had a bunch of moisture in the shed. In fact I posted a thread about rain in the shed about it.

Without a post-mortem though I don't think I'll ever know. :(

I have left the water in the bowl but as Al said it usually evaporates in a day or so. Less in summer. It's possible this may have caused an out of balance condition though, hmm.

Groggy
12th August 2007, 10:26 PM
Andy, no, no mechanical adjustments have been made.

Cliff Rogers
12th August 2007, 10:29 PM
If it did it all by itself, I'd blame the weather.
Freezing water pipes & hoses can cause them to burst so it sounds plausable... maybe you can get Mythbusters to do a section on it. :D

ozwinner
12th August 2007, 10:33 PM
If it did it all by itself, I'd blame the weather.
Freezing water pipes & hoses can cause them to burst so it sounds plausable... maybe you can get Mythbusters to do a section on it. :D

Busted...I have no idea what, it just sounds good..

Al :q

starr
28th August 2007, 01:45 PM
I had the same thing happen. When I left water in the reservoir it was keeping the wheel wet but rusting the central shaft, so I drained it and when I went back to use it, the wheel was cracked even worse than the photo provided.