PDA

View Full Version : re designing the work bench WIP

Bryan1982
11th August 2007, 11:53 PM
well recived my new record / irwin bench vise it only opens up 390mm 53ED it is.

and got a veritas tail vise the thread is 440mm on that.

so now its onto the design of it. im changing most of what people useually do with the base of it well all of it, issing me off having rail going from one side to the other and no useable space uderneath..

1. the other thing i dont get is metal / brass bench dogs do they damage you work? and if you it one with the plane blade ouch???

2. Having all those holes in your bench waiting for that small piece of veneer to fall down it or bit of timber that has broken off or drill bit any thing does it anyone else off???

as for what the base and top will look like well you will just have to wait and see but it will be different i think!!!!!!!!!!!

there will be dog holes in it. i like that idea of been able to clamp stuff with the tail vise and main vise using the dogs ( i have never had or used a tail vice before) but the dogs will be flush with the top and every hole will have its own dog.
and not brass unless someone can convince me otherwise................

all coments / suggestions welcome.

Wild Dingo
12th August 2007, 04:20 AM
Gidday Bryan
Mate I had bought a couple of those metal dogs to use when I built my bench... but before I did I met up with fellow forumite Ramps and upon seeing his bench and the square timber dogs he used I decided I would go that route

So I incorporated square dog holes in the top of the bench and have since made a mess of dogs... I have other non woodwork plans for the round metal dogs :;

As to the lines of square holes in the top... personally I like it the looks real specky! :2tsup: what Ive done is made a 1/2in ply cover for when Im working with veneers... to stop just what you say dropping that special sliver of exotic veneer down a doghole... just get a sheet of ply and cut it to length and with add a couple of square dogs to the underside to match a couple of holes in the bench and bung it on... no slip no slide and best of all no dropping bits down the holes!

Another forumite I went and met was Derek Cohen... his also has dog holes on the top and he makes jigs with dogs under... very stable very firm and another idea nicked and stored in the must do for bench file

Well done with the vices mate... these are a couple of the things Im hoping to score if I make the show tomorrow arvo! be great to have a decent vice on the new bench :2tsup:

Tell us more about that top... hows it going to be different?

Bryan1982
12th August 2007, 11:08 AM
330$ for the two vises dellivered to alice i was stoked with that go for the veritas vise its got a nice thread on it and spins well there is a lot or cheap ???? out there. i think it was 80$ and 230 for bench vise from MIK

as for the top havnt started yet still doing sketches next weekend il start it up ....