PDA

View Full Version : Work Bench

garfield
12th August 2007, 09:08 AM
Hi all again, I'm gonna build myself a new work bench and I want some ideas. I'm gonna incorporate my sliding saw maybe, but I mainly want some big drawers that slide nice and easy (need help with that) I also want plenty of shelves. If anyone has some plans or pictures of either their shed or someone Else's, If you could post them on here that would be great. Or is there a site or thread already on here with the information I seek?
Thanks
Geoff

Mirboo
12th August 2007, 10:11 AM
This (http://www.workbenchdesign.net/index.html) site might give you a few ideas.

Ekim
12th August 2007, 10:25 AM
Geoff,

Do a search of this Forum - there are numerous threads on how to build a workbench, workbench vises, how to fix a top to a workbench etc.

Mike

garfield
12th August 2007, 10:46 AM
Geoff,

Do a search of this Forum - there are numerous threads on how to build a workbench, workbench vises, how to fix a top to a workbench etc.

Mike

Ekim, how do search for a thread that has the same topic please, as I don't know how to.

Thanks

Driver
12th August 2007, 10:48 AM
Geoff,

Mike

You might also like to refer to the following section from The Code of Practice:

5.12.1. A bloke’s bench can be purchased complete but it is recommended that a bloke build his own bench which can be any of the following:

5.12.1.1. An exquisitely designed, constructed, detailed and finished example at the very pinnacle of fine woodworking expertise.
5.12.1.2. An old and knackered door resting on a pair of trestles, nailed together with a miscellaneous collection of aging fasteners left over from the projects of yesteryear.
5.12.1.3. Any point along a line drawn between the above two extremes.
:; :; :cool:

garfield
12th August 2007, 09:21 PM
You might also like to refer to the following section from The Code of Practice:

5.12.1. A bloke’s bench can be purchased complete but it is recommended that a bloke build his own bench which can be any of the following:

5.12.1.1. An exquisitely designed, constructed, detailed and finished example at the very pinnacle of fine woodworking expertise.
5.12.1.2. An old and knackered door resting on a pair of trestles, nailed together with a miscellaneous collection of aging fasteners left over from the projects of yesteryear.
5.12.1.3. Any point along a line drawn between the above two extremes.
:; :; :cool:

You lost me at 5.12.1. :o

fletcher
14th August 2007, 03:06 PM
This (http://www.workbenchdesign.net/index.html) site might give you a few ideas.

Mirboo....great site, some really good ideas there.

garfield, here is another thread started a long time ago but has some great suggestions and some pics...
http://www6.cyanide.com.au/~woodwork/showthread.php?t=27697

In this thread, there is alot of discussion about the tool well being a place where rubbish collects and so on....just a thought (when I do get around to making my own bench) I will be putting a covered slot in the tool well, so that the rubbish (chips, dust and general rubbish) can be easily disposed of with the bin placed under the slot....

Fletcher

Ekim
14th August 2007, 04:20 PM
Geoff,

Re your query on how to do a search:

If you are logged on:
Click the “Search” button (top right under the Log-In box)
Click the “Advanced Search” button
Fill in the “Key Word(s)” box with your search term (see comment below). Or you can search by User Name.
Search Option boxes – at this stage, use the default settings.
Click the “Search Now” button (bottom of page).

Additional steps if you are not logged on:
Fill in the self-explanatory “No Spam Verification Question”
Fill in the self-explanatory “Image Verification” box

Key Word search:
In your case, I would use the word “Workbench” (one word, no apostrophes). The search engine in this Forum does not seem to recognize a multi-word string e.g. “Work bench” (i.e. two words, with or without the apostrophes). If you do use this as your search term, the search will return threads that deal with “Work”, “bench” and “Workbench”. I am not aware of any "trick" in this Forum when using a mult-word string as the search criteria (compare Google).

HTH

Mike

garfield
14th August 2007, 11:06 PM
Thanks very much Fletcher and Ekim