PDA

View Full Version : Tung Oil

NeillK
13th June 2001, 01:17 PM
I've just made up some bench tops using recycled messmate floorboards and I'm contemplating finishing them with 100% tung oil. Can anyone tell me how this performs in wet areas and where I can buy it? http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/confused.gif
----------------------
There ya go Neill

[This message has been edited by Neil (edited 15 June 2001).]

Westie
15th June 2001, 03:19 PM
Hey Neil,
The other guys seem a little slow of the mark so I'll whack in my 2c worth. I recently made some benches from recycled jarrah floorboards. I used Danish oil ( available from any hardware ) on mine. I rubbed the oil into the grain with 3M scourer pads ( after sanding ) and then about half an hour later wiped off the residue.Apply a second or third coat if you wish. Leave to dry and then apply a wax coating ( maybe one of U-Beaut's products?) Reapply the wax whenever the bench begins to look a bit scuffed. Any water which hits the bench beads up and is easy to wipe off. I use cutting boards and coasters if I need to put hot things on the benches. The benches still look great and they cost stuff all to make.

NeillK
15th June 2001, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the reply Westie, much appreciated. We are really keen to avoid the chemical solution and the idea of waxing sounds great as well as feasible. You just can't beat the look of good timber with a soft finish.

As for slow off the mark, I probably should have put a ? icon on my message. Ay tips on how to change my original message?