PDA

View Full Version : An Oire Nomi WIP: Part II - Sharpening Station setup

Groggy
12th August 2007, 09:15 PM
I thought I'd post about the setup I am using before I get into the sharpening itself. I knew I'd be at this for a while so I wanted a sitting arrangement. Secondly, a bucket of water is needed along with a towel or two. Some of the jigs I made as I went along.

The stand is actually the back of a mate's kitchen cupboard that used to sit over his stove (hence the air holes). I cut the cupboard off and put it to use elsewhere in the workshop and this was just sitting there, waiting for me to toss it - so I thought waste not, want not - and converted it to use as a sharpening station.

So far it has done the job but has been a bit wobbly when I planed the support board. In use for sharpening though it is quite good. I hold it between my knees when pushing hard on the stones and it helps to stabilise everything.

The pics.

1 - shows the stool and stand with the (empty) water bucket nearby.

2 & 3 - show the rest I made to keep the handle at the right angle. I wanted the back of the blade elevated by about .25mm. The shavings are from when I planed the support piece to give the right amount of clearance to the heel. The stone is a 1000 grit King stone.

4 - As it is used. Wrap legs around stand and sharpen away. Dip occasionally in bucket to the left and dry on towel in the centre.

The other stone I will use is a 6000 grit King stone. I don't have a nagura stone, if necessary I rough the surface with a small 600 grit diamond plate.