PDA

View Full Version : Doodleing

BernieP
12th August 2007, 10:52 PM
G'Day All

Was in shed this afternoon doing daily sawdust making and centre turning a hunk of Jacaranda, and when half way through, thought hang on you haven't planned what your making and just keep doing coves, beads etc., I was doing the equivalent of doodleing with a gouge and wood instead of pen and paper!

Question anyone else fall for this pasttime?:?

Comments appreciated. By the way not finished yet so tomorrow is another day.

Cheers
Bernie

Frank&Earnest
12th August 2007, 11:38 PM
Answer: yes. But at our age it is not a pastime, it's called incipient senility.:D

joe greiner
13th August 2007, 12:08 AM
Sure. Called "practice." Also, when working with a lump of firewood, I generally don't know what it's going to be until I've turned away most of the cracked and otherwise stuff I don't want to keep.

Joe

BANNED
13th August 2007, 01:41 AM
Hi BernieP,

I found myself doing the same nearly everyday. Indeed, I reckon has nothing to do, with age (sorry, Frank&Earnest, hahahaha), 85% of my turnings are done without any sort of planning at all. Normally, only after rounding and squared ends, I stop the lathe, have a look at the cylinder/disk (long or short) cleaned peace of wood, look for knots, grain, imperfections, etc., and picture something in my head, something that would bring up the best out of that peace of mother nature. I have in many cases, remove the peace I have just cleaned, out of the lathe and put it a side, because no picture was created in my mind, by looking at that particular peace of timber. With this said, mention should be made to the times where I, and so many other people, had it all sorted out (shape), and end-up with something totally different in the end.
I suppose, I do my turning as I live my life, free style and not planning to much, cause the more I do, the more things tend to go wrong.
In my opinion, we are the lucky ones...!!!

Cheers
GV

Richard Findley
13th August 2007, 08:26 AM
Hi,

I like to do a sketch or 2, or at least have a plan in my head before I start otherwise I can get a bit lost in the shavings and end up with a crap shape:doh: !!

There is a computer program out there to help do designing of turned items which is good but takes ages. Depends if you prefer playing on your computer or lathe!!??:;

Cheers,

Richard

Frank&Earnest
13th August 2007, 11:22 AM
Hi BernieP,

I found myself doing the same nearly everyday. Indeed, I reckon has nothing to do, with age (sorry, Frank&Earnest, hahahaha), 85% of my turnings are done without any sort of planning at all. Normally, only after rounding and squared ends, I stop the lathe, have a look at the cylinder/disk (long or short) cleaned peace of wood, look for knots, grain, imperfections, etc., and picture something in my head, something that would bring up the best out of that peace of mother nature. I have in many cases, remove the peace I have just cleaned, out of the lathe and put it a side, because no picture was created in my mind, by looking at that particular peace of timber. With this said, mention should be made to the times where I, and so many other people, had it all sorted out (shape), and end-up with something totally different in the end.
I suppose, I do my turning as I live my life, free style and not planning to much, cause the more I do, the more things tend to go wrong.

Cheers
GV
Of course. Same here :wink: . But you have described creativity, not doodling...:)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th August 2007, 04:46 PM
I'll sit down and carefully draft a design, even going to the extent of mocking it up in a 3D ray-tracing program to "see" a finished product. Then I'll spend hours in the shed, looking for just the right blank. However, once the blank is mounted and I've a nice, sharp chisel in my hand, well... all plans go out the window the second I notice that a really nice piece of grain will be turned away or some fault/bug hole doesn't make the grade as a "feature." From that moment on, the whole job becomes one big doodle. :-

(This has even happened when I planned a simple rolling pin! I ended up with a goblet. :rolleyes: 'Tis funny how many pieces end up as goblets in my shed. :p)

Christopha
13th August 2007, 04:50 PM
When I first started turning a damned long time ago an old friend who was a turner by trade showed me many things and then gave me the best advice of all. He told me to get some green branches, stick (pun!) 'em between centres and just turn them away to nothing. I found an old apple tree that had been bowled a day or so earlier and I turned that tree into shavings, I got soaked to the skin form the moisture in it and I ended up with absolute mountains of shavings but by the time that tree was gone my next major task was design...... and yes, I still love to chuck (pun) a hunk of green anything between centres, the bigger the better, and "Doodle".

DavidG
13th August 2007, 05:33 PM
:whs:

Worst problem is when someone comes and asks "What is that"......:;

BernieP
13th August 2007, 06:33 PM
G'Day All

Only one saying I'm approaching senility, so feel much better. Thanks all

Cheers
Bernie

Frank&Earnest
13th August 2007, 07:50 PM
I was talking about myself, but if the shoe fits...:D Seriously though, my sense of humour seems to be a bit too abrasive for this forum, I must try to use a finer grit. I'll ask Wild Dingo for advice. :wink:

No offence was intended, apologies if it was taken.

weisyboy
13th August 2007, 08:28 PM
Hi BernieP,

Cheers
GV

i do mine the same as GV i rough it down and then go with the flow. every time i plan sompthing i start out alright and end up with sompthing completly diferent..

ps dont those quad bikes come in handy:2tsup:

BernieP
13th August 2007, 09:57 PM
G'Day F&E

Hey man can assure no offence taken, comment taken as intended. Might add can't wait for second childhood (as we called it in my day) look forward to getting away with a lot of things:wink: that I can't now!

Cheers
Bernie