PDA

View Full Version : 200 Wood Turned Flowers

Gil Jones
13th August 2007, 12:08 PM
These 200 flowers are from 1/2" to 1 3/8" dia., and turned from green Sassafras branches (trimmed off with a clipper). All are turned with a skew, and colored with various color Sharpie felt tip markers. Fun and fast to make, they are good for small gifts, and decorations.

BernieP
13th August 2007, 12:48 PM
G'Day Gil

They look great, when do we get the "how-to":2tsup:

Cheers
Bernie

BANNED
13th August 2007, 01:32 PM
Good morning/afternoon/evening gentleman,
I would love to see how you make your flowers Gil Jones, in the mean time Mr. BernieP, have a look at this video, (what a way to use the skew! wow). I 've found this video, some time ago and I was impressed with it's simplicity.

Cheers
GV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWWw5HHzvFw

ss_11000
13th August 2007, 02:06 PM
looks good gil:)

Gil Jones
13th August 2007, 02:12 PM
Thanks Bernie and GV.
GV, thank you very much for that YouTube link!!! I saw it once, some time ago, and could not recall or find where or what I had seen, but this is the site where I developed an interest in making the wooden flowers. Anyway, this is exactly how I made my flowers. They are just as easy as on the video.

Cliff Rogers
13th August 2007, 02:21 PM
:2tsup:

Ernie Newman makes Christmas trees like that.

BANNED
13th August 2007, 02:22 PM
Hi Gil,
You're welcome.
I has wondering if we have anything here in Australia, that matches your green Sassafras? I can't think at the moment, of any timber species that I could use to try it, I got to think a bit harder, huh? hahahahahahah.

Cheers
GV

joe greiner
13th August 2007, 02:30 PM
Very nice, Gil. I think I'd be shaking after the first dozen or so; how many sessions did you take?

Joe

Gil Jones
13th August 2007, 02:38 PM
GV, I would think that nearly any small, branch the size of your thumb or a tad smaller would do it just fine. Sassafras grows like a weed around here, so I just clipped off the small starter trees (saplings). I also used Viburnum twigs, and they did fine. The wood needs to be fresh, wet, and green (alive).
================
Thanks Stirlo.
================

Gil Jones
13th August 2007, 02:44 PM
Grazie, Joe, I did not keep track, I just kept turning them until I was tired of it, and started back up later. After 200 Bunny said Whoa, go make some little bowls to put them in.

BernieP
13th August 2007, 06:02 PM
G'Day Gil

The more I look at them, the more I have to have a go:U

G'Day GV

Thanks for the video link, now looking for suitable wood:2tsup:

Cheers to you both
Bernie

robyn2839
13th August 2007, 08:54 PM
you must turn them slowly , so the petals wont fall off, not really they look great. bob

Gil Jones
14th August 2007, 04:01 AM
Thanks Bob,
On my lathe slow is 480 rpm, and that did not work very well for these flowers. I stepped it up to 1270 rpm, and that seemed just right. Maybe I should try the next jump to 1960 rpm. If I do, I will post the results. Taking very thin cuts works best, and try not to part off too close to the bottom row or that row will depart from the flower. Also, apply the color with care, as aggressive application tends to break off the petals. It is excellent skew training.

lubbing5cherubs
14th August 2007, 08:09 AM
Gil did you colour each one of those off the lathe? They are just beautiful
Toni

Gil Jones
14th August 2007, 10:12 AM
Thanks Toni, they are colored on the lathe and spinning. Just lightly touch a felt tip marker to the flower and watch the color(s) spread. Just watch the video >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWWw5HHzvFw

Gil Jones
20th August 2007, 02:43 PM
Finally got around to trying a faster speed. I increased speed to 1960 rpm, and at least on wet wood, it seems to cut smoother, faster, and easier. It will also allow you to make mistakes faster. Plus, if you make the flower "petals" too large, the added centrifugal force will pull the petals off the flower.

rodent
21st August 2007, 01:03 AM
How about catoniaster it's a pest tree , has a stringy structure having long shavings and most important it's free because no body wants it .:2tsup:

joe greiner
21st August 2007, 01:54 AM
How about catoniaster it's a pest tree , has a stringy structure having long shavings and most important it's free because no body wants it .:2tsup:

Cottoneaster/cotoneaster?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotoneaster

Joe

Gil Jones
21st August 2007, 02:30 AM
Hey Rodent,
Give it a shot, and post some pics. Free wood is always worth a try. :)