PDA

View Full Version : What's going on? - gouge digging in

weisyboy
13th August 2007, 08:33 PM
yesterday i decided to give my lathe a run. as i have not used it for nearly 12 months. i mounted a lump of pine that i just got and roughed it down and was doing the shaping and the gouge kept digging in.

i put this down to the type of timber. so i took it off and tryed a peice of camphor with the same results.:no:

i ges im just out of practice???:doh:

dose this happen to others or not???

mick61
14th August 2007, 01:31 AM
You could be right just out of practice.or chisel is blunt. It is my opinion that turning is like golf if you aren`t doing it all the time you lose your edge to some degree.
mick:D

Cliff Rogers
14th August 2007, 01:52 AM
Narh... it is 'like riding a bike', once you have learned...
wait a minute, what was that saying about 'as easy as falling off... ' :?

Ooo I remember, a log. :D

Experience & a sharp tool will help. :2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
14th August 2007, 02:54 AM
Not using a lathe for 12 months? Nar, never. :p

Richard Findley
14th August 2007, 08:51 AM
Welcome back to the lathe:2tsup: !!

Depends on what you were doing when you got the catch as to what the problem might be. A good sharpen should always be the first step after a dig in:doh: .

Remember to keep that bevel rubbing all the way round.

If your catch was when turning a deep cove or entry cut into a bowl then roll the gouge over more so that you start the cut with a vertical part of the cutting edge, if it leans to the right it will skid that way, if it leans to the left it'll skid that way....

...or you could try making a small groove with the point of another tool to start the cut, this gives the gouge a place to sit so it shouldn't skid. Some purists may call this cheating but it is a means to an end as they say!!:B

Hope this helps,

Richard

weisyboy
14th August 2007, 09:06 AM
i was trying to make a small concave for the outsige of the bowl i got the right side ok but eveytime i touched the left side of the curve bang it would dig in. i finaly got it late yesterday but iam still getting digins.

more practise might do the trick.:2tsup:

RETIRED
14th August 2007, 03:43 PM
What sort of gouge?

weisyboy
14th August 2007, 06:17 PM
all of them:C

DJ’s Timber
14th August 2007, 06:36 PM
Haven't got the tool rest to high or low?

RETIRED
14th August 2007, 07:43 PM
Possibly be a broken rest. Not using a roughing gouge, are you?

weisyboy
14th August 2007, 08:30 PM
Haven't got the tool rest to high or low?

i thaught about that it is the biggest i have had on the lathe and i couldn't seam to get it high enough how much diference can this make.

Possibly be a broken rest.

wat do you mean broken it seams fine to me.

Not using a roughing gouge, are you?[/

yer some of the time.

DJ’s Timber
14th August 2007, 09:04 PM
Tool rest should be as close as you can get it to the timber and approximately 12-15mm below the centre line.

If the tool rest is too far from the timber, it can cause some severe dig ins as you won't have good control over the tool

weisyboy
14th August 2007, 09:38 PM
i always have the rest up close.:2tsup:

Christopha
14th August 2007, 10:24 PM
Go get a lesson son..... If you don't even know which gouge you are attempting to use then perhaps it could be a tad foolhardy to proceed until you find out a wee bit more.

Frank&Earnest
14th August 2007, 10:42 PM
Tool rest should be ... approximately 12-15mm below the centre line.

Is this the current thinking? I was taught that for scraping but above the centre line for slicing. Makes sense to me, otherwise the handle goes too low to be comfortable. Is it true/important?

joe greiner
15th August 2007, 01:03 AM
A detail gouge would be better for final shaping. Ride the bevel with the cutting interface below the midpoint of the edge, about 1/3 or 1/4 point; to reduce occurrence of the infamous spiral catch, hold the edge perpendicular to the lathe axis for slicing. A firm grip at the toolrest also helps, but not so tight to produce fatigue and less control. Height of the toolrest substantially at the equator.

Joe

weisyboy
15th August 2007, 08:28 AM
Go get a lesson son..... If you don't even know which gouge you are attempting to use then perhaps it could be a tad foolhardy to proceed until you find out a wee bit more.

i know what the tools are called i am not new at this i have been doing it for 3 years just been to busy at work to get anything done in the last 9 months or so.

no digins anymore it was just that i was out of practise.:2tsup:

Honorary Bloke
15th August 2007, 08:30 AM
Less fishing and more turning?? :D :D :rolleyes:

Hickory
15th August 2007, 08:52 AM
From what you have said, my guess is that the toolrest is too low. Dull gouge requires extra force so you might be "overachieveing" then when it does cut, it cuts too deep.....but I tend to go back to my first reaction and that you have the toolrest too low.

You want the toolrest "at" or "slightly above" the center line.... that way when you present the gouge you approach with the bevel and have to turn into the cut and sever in a more gentle method and avoid the catching.

soundman
15th August 2007, 11:12 AM
I know exactly wht your problem is.:;
Your not holding you mouth right:rofl: :pointlaugh: :haha:

cheers