PDA

View Full Version : Wooden gear knob?

Gags_17
13th August 2007, 10:54 PM
Hey guys
I just got my first car and since its not really anything to flash i thought it would be prety cool to maybe turn a wooden gear knob for it (it is manual) any wood recomendations? or how to finish it as it will get a bit of use lol has any one got nay photos of anything wooden they hav added to their "beasts" or any ideas what else i could make wooden for it?
thanks guys in advance

Cliff Rogers
13th August 2007, 11:10 PM
Anything hard that has nice grain would be good.
A bit of Dead Finish would make a good knob.

Back last century, when I was still dicking around with cars, I had seen a few 8 balls used for gear knobs & I think my Uncle had a wooden gear knob in his MG.

Caveman
13th August 2007, 11:39 PM
Hey guys
I just got my first car and since its not really anything to flash i thought it would be prety cool to maybe turn a wooden gear knob for it (it is manual) any wood recomendations? or how to finish it as it will get a bit of use lol has any one got nay photos of anything wooden they hav added to their "beasts" or any ideas what else i could make wooden for it?
thanks guys in advance

Check this (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=46657&highlight=gear+knobs) out in case you didn't already see it.

Gags_17
14th August 2007, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the replys guys
that link was very interesting all though i like the idea of the eight ball knob alot more and i have a few lol i love playing pool, would i be able to drill the ball with a normal drill bit or would i need something speacial to do it?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
14th August 2007, 05:37 PM
Yeah, an ordinary twist drill will do. But you really need to make sure the 8-ball is held securely when drilling!

Gags_17
14th August 2007, 09:19 PM
oh ok thats handy how exactly do they fit on? screw or glued or something else i cant get mine off lol

Skew ChiDAMN!!
14th August 2007, 10:03 PM
Usually just screwed on, although some better ones also have a grub-screw to lock them in position.