PDA

View Full Version : Brisbane working with wood 2008

Pages : [1] 2 3

bigAl
14th August 2007, 04:04 PM
I just noticed the next show in Brisbane opens on my birthday next year, 16th May...I wonder if they've got a gift register?...

Wongo
14th August 2007, 04:28 PM
Al, it is a bit early to think about it, don't you think?

bigAl
14th August 2007, 05:19 PM
You know Wongo, I was hoping all you guys would start thinking about what you'd like to get me.:D I'm quite happy not to give it any thought at all and just be surprised on the day.

Wongo
14th August 2007, 05:22 PM
Too late now. I have changed my mind. :D

skot
26th August 2007, 08:34 PM
What about me...mine's on the 15th

munruben
22nd December 2007, 10:16 AM
Well I guess there is nothing like getting in early with an announcement.:) The Working with Wood show in Brisbane is set for Friday 16th May through 18th May 2008 inclusive.. So don't say you haven't had enough notice.:D

Ivan in Oz
22nd December 2007, 10:23 AM
Will mark in the Calender @ Work
Hope to go.

Who is going?
Which Day(s)?

wheelinround
22nd December 2007, 03:34 PM
Roll on Sydney WWS

RufflyRustic
22nd December 2007, 08:50 PM
It's booked into my calendar. I purposely checked these dates and made sure I didn't set up any major work maintenance for that weekend :D

Ruddigar
22nd December 2007, 10:35 PM
There is a chance I will be there.....

Robo1
7th January 2008, 07:44 AM
The Brisbane show will be my first any tips you veterans can give me other than take lots of dollars! Anything specific I should look for or know? I dont want to miss anything good.
Rob....

RufflyRustic
7th January 2008, 09:36 AM
Go to the Show on the first day and look at the timber. Buy it first, then browse around the rest of the show.

Be prepared to come back a second day and take another look at those big purchases you were eyeballing the first day. You've had 24 hours to persuade the Minister of Finance to let loose some much needed and deserved funds, so go for it. :D
Maybe today you'll be able to watch some of the demos. Make time to catch up with some Fellow Forumites.

Come back the third day and be ready to snap up the end of show bargains, timber, magazines, tools, supplies etc etc etc.

They have a parcel holding tent as well. I would suggest you make full use of it. Saves a lot of time getting them to look after your purchases, you don't have to back and forth to the car, you don't have to carry them all the time and dislocate shoulders, cut off circulation in your hands/arms :rolleyes:, and at the end of the day, it's just get the car and make one big pickup :D

You might want to take your own food, the food there can be a tad exxie but the coffee is ok.

Then, Go home, layout all the goodies youg got and enjoy :D

cheers
Wendy

(an avid fan of the wood shows - eer what? you could tell??? :p :) )

damian
8th January 2008, 10:19 AM
Wow, your real serious aren't you ? :D

I've been eyeing those 400/800 drum sanders from timbecon. Has anyone seen them at the Brisbane show ? I'd like to see one in the flesh before I commit, and of course if there is a show special...:)

Or should I email timbecon and ask them to bring one over ?

Your absolutely right about the food, very dear and not very good IMO..

I'm a bit paranoid about crowds and don't normally do shows, but when I attended this one in the past it's been pretty reasonable. I personally don't think the ticket price is too high either...and being able to leave and return. Not like the gardening show which freaked me out and disapointed in equal amounts....

STAR
10th January 2008, 09:38 PM
Wendy.

Since I have met your other half last Sunday could you enlighten us as to who you refer to as " The Minister of Finance "

In most households it is "The Ministeress of Finance " or were you just being to polite.

Pusser
10th January 2008, 11:54 PM
Wow, your real serious aren't you ? :D

I've been eyeing those 400/800 drum sanders from timbecon. Has anyone seen them at the Brisbane show ? I'd like to see one in the flesh before I commit, and of course if there is a show special...:)

Or should I email timbecon and ask them to bring one over ?

Your absolutely right about the food, very dear and not very good IMO..

I'm a bit paranoid about crowds and don't normally do shows, but when I attended this one in the past it's been pretty reasonable. I personally don't think the ticket price is too high either...and being able to leave and return. Not like the gardening show which freaked me out and disapointed in equal amounts....

I bought the delux one at the Canberra Show in September and it arrived after Christmas - no stock. I have bought from Timbercon before by asking them to bring a specific item and they were obliging. If they don't have it there get them to do a stock check first. They have just had a shipment so they should have stock.

The saving was only 10% plus free freight but that made it much cheaper than the carbatec equivilent.

Get a good supply of cloth backed paper when you do get it. Mine came with three inch paper but they supply 4". The instructions do not cover the four inch paper. You need 1980mm. Measure up 15mm then 10 degree slope. You can work out which end tapers when you take the old one off - I made an mdf template.

the unit is quite good except the infeed and outfeed tables. It is all orange cast iron except the stand and infeed tables and has inbuilt wheels. The infeed and outfeed tables are quite difficult to get properly aligned. Seems a good unit.

Robo1
11th January 2008, 06:25 AM
Whats the best day to go for bargains, the first or last day?
Rob...

RufflyRustic
11th January 2008, 09:35 AM
Wendy.

Since I have met your other half last Sunday could you enlighten us as to who you refer to as " The Minister of Finance "

In most households it is "The Ministeress of Finance " or were you just being to polite.

Hi Peter

:D I was indeed, referring to my HWMNBO, of course:wink::D or was I ???? :?:p:U

Whats the best day to go for bargains, the first or last day?
Rob...

First day for the good timber, last day for the real bargains as some areas will reduce prices so they don't have to pack it up and take it back to the shop.

cheers
Wendy

damian
13th January 2008, 06:29 PM
Thank you very much for the information. I was looking at the WDS-400-B, $869, not the deluxe WDS-400-C at $1099. According to the description there isn't much in it apart from an aluminum engine, better stand and bigger dust extraction. It's not a machine I'll use every day so unless there is a reason to spend the extra $230...:(

I want it for thicknessing guitar plates and final light thicknessing of bench tops and stuff. I only take very light cuts < 1mm. I just feel a machine which is able to take a wide cut will help me get stuff finally flat. Or am I totally wrong on this ?

I guess I should post this question elsewhere, sorry.

Back on the show, would anyone care to meet at a certain time/day/place to put faces to the forum names ? :)

Cliff Rogers
13th January 2008, 06:52 PM
I hope to go again this year, I wonder if Major still has those chocolate muffins we forgot to take in 2005. :rolleyes:

Simomatra
13th January 2008, 06:59 PM
Usual to meet out at the food area about 10am for starters then again for 1500 for afternoon smoko every day

I hope to go again this year, I wonder if Major still has those chocolate muffins we forgot to take in 2005:2tsup:

Sounds good to me Cliff:):)

TEEJAY
13th January 2008, 09:57 PM
I suspect I will be there Saturday. Last year didn't expect any big purchases but still spent $700-800 - so easy done got some good stuff but.

This year I definitely want that bandsaw jig for making chairs - starting with an outdoor setting. I think it was about $400. Will squizz about for new and interesting gadgets and timber - especially like the Tassie timbers.

Next year I want the big drum sander - I think about 900mm wide about $2400 but don't know the show is the best time as the carbatec sale is on the week or so before as always. Don't know what's best - there never seems a huge savings but hey 10% is something. :)

I did one year buy a dewalt radial arm saw from Glenfords for a show special $100 off only to find a week after the show but they put out a catalogue and it was another $100 less - I haven't bought anything from them since. But that's me.

geoffo
26th January 2008, 09:35 PM
Like last year, I will be buying my tickets via the internet b4 the show - that way I don't have to line up with the inevitable queue.
Geoff

weisyboy
10th February 2008, 09:19 PM
i wll be there at least one of the days.

will the forum be having a stand there?

munruben
11th February 2008, 10:22 AM
It's just around the corner now, only 65 days to go. Pity its a leap year or it would have only been 64.:)

funkychicken
28th February 2008, 06:40 PM
Now say I could only go for on one day... Would saturday be any good?

Cliff Rogers
28th February 2008, 08:00 PM
Friday is the day the that the school kids go, if there is something that you want from one of the stands that you want to snap up the demo model, Friday is the day to go.

Saturday is busy with the people who work Friday but not Saturday.

Sunday has the tourists & bargin hunters, the bargin hunters hang around things that they have their eye on after lunch Sunday in the hope that they will score it cheap 'cos the stall holder doesn't want to load it.

If you wear you cap & visit the Ubeaut Stand you will find some of the forum members.
There is also an informal meeting time at the coffe stand around 10 (I think) but it gets narrowed down closer to the time.

I am working hard to be there this year. :2tsup:

weisyboy
28th February 2008, 08:26 PM
i missed ordering my hat this year must keep a better lookout next order.

or is there some way of me ordering one sooner.

Cliff Rogers
28th February 2008, 09:28 PM
Ask Neil.

Just look for the dills that are wearing forum hats and/or shirts & stick with them. :D

funkychicken
1st March 2008, 08:09 PM
Ask Neil.

Just look for the dills that are wearing forum hats and/or shirts & stick with them. :D

Sound advice

dills

I'd out-dill them all if I was wearing a hat emblazoned with "FunkyChicken":D

RufflyRustic
2nd March 2008, 09:16 AM
i wll be there at least one of the days.

will the forum be having a stand there?

Not sure yet.

cheers
Wendy

munruben
2nd March 2008, 09:29 AM
I will definitely be there but not quite sure which day.

Ivan in Oz
2nd March 2008, 10:07 AM
Not sure yet.

cheers
Wendy

Well!!!!
Hurry up then:p ........ :)

I'll navigate:rolleyes:

Notice the :)

funkychicken
2nd March 2008, 11:49 PM
I hear there's a car that's gonna be pooling...well?

Admin might want to fix the blurb for this section, "For everything to do with the Timber abnd Working With Wood Shows"

RufflyRustic
3rd March 2008, 10:22 AM
Well!!!!
Hurry up then:p ........

I'll navigate

Notice the :)

Dear Ivan

:p:p
Right back at ya! :D

artme
3rd March 2008, 07:51 PM
I'll be there! Can't say I'll be spending much but how can I miss all those glue sniffing type :oo::oo:highs???:oo:

Billyboydes
4th March 2008, 10:41 AM
I'll be there, if only to pick up my year's supply of Titebond, epoxy, Ubeaut finishes, music mechanisms, sasafrass blocks, tiger Murtle pieces, Leigh bits etc etc. I saved over $200 last year on show prices and freight!!

Then I may spend a couple of hours watching the experts, talking to the tool men, drooling over new toys and of couse seeing if there really are pretty women interested in wood work.!! :B

That will just about fill Friday and Saturday. See you all there! :2tsup:

weisyboy
4th March 2008, 01:18 PM
may chance of a lift bill?

i realy hate driving in the city and trying to find someware to park.

Billyboydes
5th March 2008, 09:44 AM
No problems Carl, will discuss closer to the time. I will probably have my brother with me for his first show he has just purchased a 2nd hand Vicmarc.
Regards
Bill

dai sensei
5th March 2008, 10:06 PM
...will the forum be having a stand there?

Good question. Neil, if you need helpers again, I had a ball in Melbourne last year so I'm in.

I'll be there for at least a day or three :U. Thinking about making a long weekend out of it, but depends on plans around that weekend. The light is near for the end of my work project, so could be up to my eyeballs with finishing details.

Cliff Rogers
14th March 2008, 05:24 PM
My plane ticket is booked & paid for, I arrive Thursday lunch time, have a couple of people to see for work & then I have til Sunday lunch time to go shopping. :2tsup:

I'll have my brand new forum shirt on & a very well used 3 year old forum cap.

I'll also have my mobile, PM me if you want the number.

rhancock
15th March 2008, 10:03 PM
Thought I was going to a wedding in Canberra... just found out I'm home alone (well, apart from 2 toddlers!) so might just be able to get there!

munruben
26th March 2008, 10:40 PM
Two months to go. Getting closer:)

Just George
4th April 2008, 01:00 PM
And I thought I was the only one waiting for the following years show the moment the roller doors come down on the current show.

powderpost
6th April 2008, 09:18 PM
Fairly strong chance I will get to the WWW show this year, haven't been for a while. Used to stay at a place just up the road on Gregory Terrace, opposite the Conservatory of Music, (I think). Can anyone tell me if it is still there? Or is there somewhere to stay within walking distance from the show. The plan so far is to fly down on Saturday and come home on Sunday.
Thanks in advance.
Jim

Sleeping Dog
12th April 2008, 11:39 PM
Not long now.... who else is going Saturday?

rhancock
13th April 2008, 08:59 AM
I'm home alone for the weekend with the kids, so I'll be there on Saturday as soon as the doors open, for a relaxing saunter around with two small children in tow :rolleyes:

Cliff Rogers
13th April 2008, 09:40 AM
Friday & Saturday at this stage.

RufflyRustic
14th April 2008, 01:28 PM
Definitely Friday for me at this stage :)

flynnsart
14th April 2008, 05:03 PM
Try Brisbane Manor Hotel www.brisbanemanor.com (http://www.brisbanemanor.com)

Donna

Ivan in Oz
14th April 2008, 06:55 PM
Good call Donna,

Withing Walking,
even Stagering Distance:wink:

Bob38S
15th April 2008, 04:31 PM
Received a letter today from "Timber & Working with Wood", DMG media offering pre purchase ticket request form.

Adults $15
Multi-day pass 2 days $20, 3 days $25
Pensioners/Students $13

I can only think they got my address through my subscription to Australian Woodsmith although that is Paragon media.

Anyone else got one of these - it looks legit.

I would prefer to do as last year and get my tickets through the forum but have not seen anything in that regard. If I have missed it could someone please point me in the right direction.

Will be at the show on the Friday.

Regards,
Bob

STAR
16th April 2008, 09:03 PM
I was at my Woodworking group on Tuesday and they had a sign up about ordering tickets for the Woodworking show. I was going to ask, but because our group is more social then woodwork I forgot.

Ps there is some serious woodwork going on there, so you can imagine to top that the social side has to be huge.

Thanks to this site for introducing me to them, as I have met some great people.

soundman
24th April 2008, 10:59 PM
I'll be blowing in from a trip to townsville on the friday afternoon, so the friday is out.

Saturday & sunday are very close to a certainty.

If anybody is interested we have managed to drag Chris Vesper off dancing at orchard"s dance studio the last couple of years.

I know there are a few members that are into various forms.
friday they teach.
Cha Cha, quick step and jive, & throw in a few progressive dances.

cheers

Just George
25th April 2008, 07:46 PM
:no:

It's going to be a sad year this year, Triton will be absent from this years line up. According to the "floor plan" they are still in their usual place BUT......

RufflyRustic
25th April 2008, 09:44 PM
Looks like Friday is out for me now, but Saturday is now booked.

cheers
Wendy

Incoming!
1st May 2008, 09:29 PM
Definitely going to be there in Brissie probably on Friday and Saturday. It'll be my first www show. I just noticed that Roll Out the Barrel will be having a stand there, and having some demos as well on coopering. Can't miss the chance!

artme
2nd May 2008, 02:41 PM
I'm going on all three days!:q:q:q

Well, that's the plan!

funkychicken
2nd May 2008, 07:56 PM
Two Weeks!

I'll be there, whewr are we all gonna be meeting?

Sleeping Dog
2nd May 2008, 09:27 PM
Not long now.... who else is going Saturday?

Got my ticket in the mail today:U Looks like I'm going Sunday now instead.... Think I'll pack a couple of sandwiches, the food is usually overpriced junk, coffee's ok tho..

Peter.

Bob38S
2nd May 2008, 09:38 PM
Got my ticket in the mail today:U L

Peter.

Where did you get the ticket from?

I have been on the lookout for the last month but have had no success. I like to have at least 2 minutes jump on the crowd and lining up is not my best position if I can avoid it.

Regards,
Bob

PS - will be there on the Friday and will probably looking for a coffee at what ever the cost at about 10:30 having driven for 3+ hours.

Sleeping Dog
2nd May 2008, 09:46 PM
Bob, you need to go to their website and download the ticket order form, fill it out and fax it back to them.

Peter.

Bob38S
3rd May 2008, 11:23 AM
Thanks Peter

Sprancis
6th May 2008, 04:51 PM
My tickets for 3 days arrived in the mail and I am looking forward to my first TWWW show.I am keen on the seminars and have a small buying list.How do you keep to your small list.
Robert

Ruddigar
7th May 2008, 03:53 PM
Found out this morning that I am going up for the show for the Friday and Saturday.

See y'all there (I'll be the good looking one on the Gabbett stand :; )

Cliff Rogers
7th May 2008, 03:56 PM
Found out this morning that I am going up for the show for the Friday and Saturday.

See y'all there (I'll be the good looking one on the Gabbett stand :; )
Thanks for the warning. :D

RufflyRustic
7th May 2008, 05:02 PM
Cool! See you there Brendan :2tsup::)

Christopha
7th May 2008, 07:23 PM
Over the years I have offended many on this forum and insulted the odd few as well. Now if anyone desires revenge please feel free to come have at me.... I will be on Carrolls stand waving Gods' ( and the Goddesses) polishes around and grinning my bald head off. I have never "done" the Brissy woodshow before and I am really looking forward to it. I have just one small request; even though I will be with Jim and Irene please don't hold it against them. They are really nice people who haven't found out about me yet ;) By the way, they also sell some coool stuff so give 'em a good once or twice over. :D

Cliff Rogers
7th May 2008, 07:32 PM
See ya there. :2tsup:

Is Neil not coming this year?

weisyboy
7th May 2008, 07:37 PM
i ned to buy a note pad to record everybodys names and where theyll be:D ill see u all there:2tsup:

RufflyRustic
7th May 2008, 07:40 PM
i ned to buy a note pad to record everybodys names and where theyll be:D ill see u all there:2tsup:

You've already got a notebook!!!!:p:wink::D:D:D

weisyboy
7th May 2008, 07:45 PM
and a verry nice one to
its got all my milling contact details and timber info in it.

i will be taking it along so i spost i can spare a page.

RufflyRustic
7th May 2008, 08:26 PM
Good stuff!

So, Wendy, Cliff, Christopha, Rudigar...... :D Oh you will be in for a treat! Stop!! I'll be in for a treat!! :p:U Meeting all my fellow forumites (those who can make it and aren't busy talking to the tools and timber), at a wood show, no less - can't beat that!! :D:2tsup::D

funkychicken
7th May 2008, 09:55 PM
I'll be there on saturday

Not long now!

artme
7th May 2008, 10:07 PM
You are all so lucky! I'll be there every day!

Those who already know me may want to pay homage.:D:D:D

Those who don't know me might want to keep it that way.:D:D:D

underfoot
8th May 2008, 06:59 AM
looks like I'll be there friday :)
keep an eye out, I'll be wearing brownish sort of shoes.

oh yeah and I'm 6 foot 7inches and look mean,
so if you see someone like that, come up, thump me on the shoulder and say g'day

RufflyRustic
8th May 2008, 09:41 AM
oh yeah and I'm 6 foot 7inches and look mean,
so if you see someone like that, come up, thump me on the shoulder and say g'day

I'm game :p:D

ptc
8th May 2008, 11:46 AM
Lucky people.
No show for tassy this year ?

damian
8th May 2008, 01:48 PM
I'm pretty easy to spot, apparently. 5'6", 40's, blonde/grey, pony tail, goatee, dressed head to toe in black.

Oh, and I bulge in the middle :) Looking lost and bewildered...

Planning on Sunday, but that may change.

munruben
8th May 2008, 03:16 PM
I'm pretty easy to spot, apparently. 5'6", 40's, blonde/grey, pony tail, goatee, dressed head to toe in black.

Oh, and I bulge in the middle :) Looking lost and bewildered...

Planning on Sunday, but that may change.You just described half the population of Brisbane :D

munruben
8th May 2008, 03:25 PM
I think I might be going on Saturday at the moment but that could change.
I will be easy to spot, I will be walking in the front door, backwards, doing the moon walk, that way the staff think I am walking out and I don't have to pay.
Seriously, if anyone recognizes me at the show, please come up and say Hi.

wheelinround
8th May 2008, 06:20 PM
Yes Munruben / John is easy to spot ust look for a little horse and sandles and socks he'll be wearing oh and his nickname is mudguard:D

funkychicken
8th May 2008, 09:33 PM
I'll be the 6' 2" youngin with the dazed/amazed look on my face:D

rhancock
8th May 2008, 09:51 PM
I'll be the one pulled by two small children....

RufflyRustic
9th May 2008, 09:48 AM
OK - a little coordination here.

Suggested Meet Time #1
11 am at Jim Carroll's stand?

Suggested Meet Time #2
2:30 pm at Jim Carroll's stand?

cheers
Wendy

Cliff Rogers
9th May 2008, 09:52 AM
Sounds good to me.

There are a few who head for the coffee stand at about 10:30am & 3pm but I don't know if they are going this year, they haven't said..

Bob38S
9th May 2008, 11:03 AM
Sounds good to me.

.............. the coffee stand at about 10:30am & 3pm but I don't know if they are going this year, they haven't said..

I will be looking for a "kaffine" fix at about 10.30 on the Friday :U

Jim Carroll
9th May 2008, 01:24 PM
2.30pm is good should be able to stop and have lunch then.

Bob38S
9th May 2008, 09:23 PM
Going on past years [I've only been to 2 - not sure if this is the norm or the exception] - either bring your own or make sure you have a gold credit card and your medical insurance is fully paid up. :B:B:no::roll::roll::roll:

weisyboy
9th May 2008, 09:30 PM
thats about the norm at any show or field day you go to bob.

its worth paying the extra little bit than carying lunch around withyou all day, i have enough trouble carrying my wallet:D

rhancock
9th May 2008, 09:52 PM
I'll be at the front of the queue at 10 as the kids have to go to bed at 12ish. With any luck I'll be back by 2.30 so might get to meet you all!

By the way, anyone know about parking at the RNA? You can see the RNA from our house, but with 2 kids I'll need to drive or I won't get back for round 2 in the afternoon.

dai sensei
9th May 2008, 10:09 PM
Sounds good to me.

There are a few who head for the coffee stand at about 10:30am & 3pm but I don't know if they are going this year, they haven't said..

I'm usually there for the coffee, and home made cakes and muffins :U Hope to be there on all days, but my road project is about to open in a few weeks, so things are hectic and I'm working most days :~

When I am there I certainly will visit Jim, but I'd hate to block the customers. Likewise Neil, Gary and all our other members that have stands.

I assume there is no Forum stand like the last Melb?

Cliff Rogers
9th May 2008, 10:17 PM
Keep a eye out for this dork. :rolleyes:

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=59871&d=1194651879

He will be wearing one of these shirts.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=59870&d=1194651879

And a forum cap but probly not those shorts. :D

rhancock
9th May 2008, 10:18 PM
Well, I know winters coming, but its still not too cold for shorts.

flynnsart
9th May 2008, 10:31 PM
:DSo we are looking for a dork in a green shirt, big smile, and a pair of red? jocks?

Donna

Cliff Rogers
9th May 2008, 11:18 PM
:DSo we are looking for a dork in a green shirt, big smile, and a pair of red? jocks?

Donna
Green???? :?
It is 'sposed to be black... I was ripped off. :~

Jocks optional. :D

bitingmidge
9th May 2008, 11:40 PM
What a shame!

I've just been told that my beloved is going to Brisbane nest Friday, and I'm busy on Saturday and Sunday, so I'm supposed to drive myself down to take care of "business" on Saturday morning.

Now I thought for a second and suggested it might be smart if we only take one car.

She agreed, but was concerned that I'd be hanging round her all day.

I suspect I'll manage to keep out from under her feet, don't you??

See you Friday Chaps!

cheers,

P
:D:D:D

Wizened of Oz
9th May 2008, 11:56 PM
By the way, anyone know about parking at the RNA? .

Plenty of parking, Richard, and well organised. Mine was even under cover last year.
See you all on Friday, and I'll bring a bit of home cooking.

Cliff Rogers
10th May 2008, 08:51 AM

See you Friday Chaps!

cheers,

P
:D:D:D
Beauty. :2tsup:

munruben
10th May 2008, 09:57 AM
Keep a eye out for this dork. And a forum cap but probly not those shorts. Is there a reward?

munruben
10th May 2008, 10:33 AM
Hey thats not a bad idea really what cliff has done. At least we will be able to recognize him. So how about a few more put their pics up? would make things a lot easier for those of us who have not seen each other before.
This is me and my other half who will be with me at the show. And, No, I wont be bringing the horse, though Wheelinround reckons I should.

So come on guys and gals, how about those pics? Are you game?