PDA

View Full Version : Mini turnfest - Melbourne, Sept 16

Pages : [1] 2

rsser
14th August 2007, 05:34 PM
Well there's still plenty of good wood to turn and David's keen to do a small pedestal table out of his wattle.

So all forum turners and would-be turners are invited.

We'll start with turning the pedestal so those handy at between-centres turning will be fed, feted and ... well, you know :wink:

Rodent and Crazyscew have kindly offered to bar-b-que some snags (not a bad idea given my performance last time :- ).

Another portable lathe would work well as we found with Scooter's last time.

This time will be pretty informal. Kick off at 10am and let's see what we can produce. Beginners most welcome. Onlookers, brains trust and yarners ditto.

Donation to cover catering. The fireplace is still in place and there's firewood left over from last time.

RSVP by the 13th by PM so we can organise catering and let you know where to go ... again, in Reservoir, 10 mins from the Ring Road.

Before that, please let me know what your interest is or what you are happy to demo or show and tell. I'll try to match them up. No need to be shy ... no-one else will be :U

We could even run a sanding and finishing competition :C

scooter
14th August 2007, 06:02 PM
We could even run a sanding and finishing competition :C

Easy - you win. No contest :D

Sounds good Ern, will confirm closer to the date tho'.

Happy to bring my lathe along again if I'm able to come.

Cheers..................Sean

DJ’s Timber
14th August 2007, 06:25 PM
Sounds like a goer, hmmm Waldo won't be happy to miss out twice.

Just throwing out an idea here, would consider having it here at my place, now that I have power in the shed.

scooter
14th August 2007, 07:06 PM
Closer is gooder :D :2tsup:

rodent
15th August 2007, 11:24 PM
Jess still cant wait to play with bertha again .So lets have some fun people ,Oh i'll be bringing white bread for the snags this time guys , onions and sauce . Hey you coming over to erns to ?

RETIRED
16th August 2007, 12:13 AM
Prolly. Just to meet Jess of course.:p

Cliff Rogers
16th August 2007, 12:24 AM
I'm chasing another ATM company for work but I don't think I can be that asrey again. :wink:

rsser
16th August 2007, 10:39 AM
Closer is gooder :D :2tsup:

Whatever works for the mostest ...

put up a poll?

Grumpy John
18th August 2007, 12:37 PM
Looking forward to it. Another chance to share information and ideas..... Great. Along these lines, Rodent, if you are coming along would you mind bringing along your 13mm replaceable tip bowl gouge. I'd like to see it and possibly take some measurements (purely to see if it will fit in my tool bag of course :wink: .

rsser
19th August 2007, 04:01 PM
That gouge is going to disappear into the shavings ;-}

rodent
21st August 2007, 03:12 AM
ill bring the 10mm ,13mm and the hollower that woodcut made before the proform ok .grumpy john .Now was it you telling where I can get a cup cutter, that I was using in my sorby shear scraper ?
Don't worry ern i'll bring my magnet along .jessie loves draging bits and pieces iv'e dropped, out of the shavings. Pitty it doesn't work on brass pen parts (damn it ) .:((
:2tsup:
rodney.

rsser
21st August 2007, 07:57 AM
Goodo.

McJing website lists cup cutters from memory Rodney.

Grumpy John
22nd August 2007, 01:53 PM
ill bring the 10mm ,13mm and the hollower that woodcut made before the proform ok .grumpy john .Now was it you telling where I can get a cup cutter, that I was using in my sorby shear scraper ?
Don't worry ern i'll bring my magnet along .jessie loves draging bits and pieces iv'e dropped, out of the shavings. Pitty it doesn't work on brass pen parts (damn it ) .:((
:2tsup:
rodney.

Thanks Rod. Re the cup cutter, I don't think it was me because I don't even know what a cup cutter is:no:. Unless there is a different name for it.

Cheers
GJ

OGYT
22nd August 2007, 02:05 PM
I wanta go!!!!:( :grumble: :cry4:

You Blokes have fun... don't mind me... :wink:
It'll be good readin' the after posts.

Gra
22nd August 2007, 02:30 PM
I have been given executive authority to attend, so I will be there..:2tsup:

rsser
22nd August 2007, 05:35 PM
Look forward to catching up Gra.

PM sent with the address.

Allan at Wallan
23rd August 2007, 10:16 AM
Thanks Ern, will make every endeavour
to be there and looking forward to it.

Allan

I am not at all worried about dying
... but just hope I am not there at the time.

Calm
23rd August 2007, 02:15 PM
Thanks Ern, will make every endeavour
to be there and looking forward to it.

Allan

Allan it would be good to meet you again. One request though, could you pleeeeeeeease leave the joke book home. :U :U :U

rsser
23rd August 2007, 05:57 PM
... missed that last time. Bring it again Allan ;-}

Just in case of queries etc., I'll be offline 24th-31st. Going cross-country skiing :hpydans:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd August 2007, 06:05 PM
Just in case of queries etc., I'll be offline 24th-31st. Going cross-country skiing :hpydans:

Is the stubby crutches friendly, Ern? :innocent:

rsser
23rd August 2007, 06:39 PM
Arggh! Don't even think about it :no:

... I've got release bindings, a mature attitude and good preparation :pipe1:

As if that ever stopped sh*t happening :yeahright:

reeves
23rd August 2007, 08:06 PM
... missed that last time. Bring it again Allan ;-}

sung to the tune of George of the Jungle..

Ern, Ern, Ern of the mountains, watch out for that............TREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

have fun mate ...

rsser
23rd August 2007, 08:40 PM
Thanks John,

Yep, eu. pauciflora are a menace ... rip your bl**dy arm off if you get hooked up having forgotten to take your hand out of the pole loop :oo:

(Seen some nice burls on 'em though).

Allan at Wallan
23rd August 2007, 08:47 PM
Allan it would be good to meet you again. One request though, could you pleeeeeeeease leave the joke book home. :U :U :U

Have never carried a joke book with me ... they are
all in my memory bank.

I only told the one joke that day ... here it is again for those
who were not in attendance at Ern's turnfest.

As told to Ern's neighbours, a couple of kids:

"I used to play football for Carlton, and in my last
match I got a kick and a mark. Well, it was actually
a kick on the leg and the mark is still there".

I think Ern's neighbours lack a sense of humour because
as I walked away they still had a look of bewilderment
on their face and were not really sure about my claims.

Look forward to seeing you again David.

Allan

rsser
3rd September 2007, 06:28 PM
Hi all,

Just a heads-up about the mini-turnfest on the 16th.

Give us an indication whether you're coming so Crazyscew can estimate the snag intake. Drop-ins no drama though.

chrisb691
3rd September 2007, 07:05 PM
I'd like to get there, can you narrow down the location a bit. A suburb would be good. :)

rsser
3rd September 2007, 07:08 PM
Hi Chris: Reservoir, 10 mins from the Ring Road.

PM me for the address.

DJ’s Timber
3rd September 2007, 07:10 PM
Will be there with bells on :2tsup:

rsser
3rd September 2007, 07:16 PM
Will hold you to that DJ ;-}

DJ’s Timber
3rd September 2007, 07:20 PM
Will hold you to that DJ ;-}

Oh no, you've got me trembling in my boots now :roll:

scooter
3rd September 2007, 10:38 PM
Yep, I'll be there, with the lathe in trailer. Looking forward to it again.

Cheers.....................Sean

rsser
4th September 2007, 03:59 PM
Same here Sean.

David, I'm roughing out your pedestal piece.

There are deep checks and at this stage I'm aiming for 140mm in diameter. It has to be somewhat off-axis to avoid the worst of the bow and the checks. Just a heads-up in case another blank is needed. I'll keep you posted.

added: btw, I had sealed the ends, as with the slab. Still a bit green maybe.

Calm
4th September 2007, 04:35 PM
thanks Ern,

How was the skiing trip.

No broken limbs etc.

Will wait for you advice if another peice is required. Not a problem i will find something to use.

rsser
4th September 2007, 04:56 PM
Goodo.

Ski trip was fantastic thanks. Five days of sunshine out of seven, perfect spring snow on the backcountry slopes, and a friendly group.

I'm now an honorary Alpine Rover Scout ;-}

rsser
4th September 2007, 06:13 PM
... after another hour over the Stubby, I have my doubts about this piece David.

There's a deep worm hole at one end (good ole Wattle ... (boom tish ...)), and on my el cheapo moisture meter it comes up at 22% which doesn't augur well.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th September 2007, 06:23 PM
There's a deep worm hole at one end (good ole Wattle ... (boom tish ...)), and on my el cheapo moisture meter it comes up at 22% which doesn't augur well.

Time to buy a bigger microwave? :innocent:

RETIRED
4th September 2007, 06:38 PM
... after another hour over the Stubby, I have my doubts about this piece David.

At that MC it probably would.:rolleyes: :D

rsser
4th September 2007, 07:02 PM
Boom tish again :U

Calm
4th September 2007, 10:13 PM
......now an honorary Alpine Rover Scout ;-}

That's impresive Ern dib dib dib

Save that peice of wood for the fireplace i will find another peice of wattle or blackwood redgum or something this weekend.

rsser
5th September 2007, 08:42 PM
Goodo David.

If chain sawn, see if you can cut a flat face parallel to the grain, then we can knock the corners off on the bandsaw.

Well, Jess has her dibs on a bit of the Tiger Myrtle of 's, so maybe we can have another goblet turning tutorial. Skew?

Think we'll do another raffle, proceeds to the Red Cross ...

We have some good burls brought by David last time that'll go into the pool, plus a small and a large Vicmarc faceplate ring (fit 90/100 chucks). Other donations welcome.

Calm
5th September 2007, 08:49 PM
Ern

any of that wood i left last time can be cut up into sizes for pens or goblets or whatever you think if you think they would raise donations for the charity.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th September 2007, 11:05 PM
Well, Jess has her dibs on a bit of the Tiger Myrtle of 's, so maybe we can have another goblet turning tutorial. Skew?

I don't have any problems with that. (Well... I do, but I guess I can buy my own piece of Tiger Myrtle :rolleyes:)

I wouldn't pencil it in as a definite though - it depends on what other plans Murphy has for me on the day.

rsser
6th September 2007, 08:28 AM
Best of luck with that Irish sod.

If you can make it, have the other piece of TM as a demonstrator's fee ;-}

rsser
6th September 2007, 02:07 PM
On reflection, let's scrap the raffle and just do a 'buy, sell, swap' with a voluntary donation of a share of the proceeds to charity.

A raffle means you might end up with Vicmarc faceplate rings when you only use faceplates or glue blocks.

So I suggest you bring along stuff to sell labelled with your name and the price, and you choose what you toss into the Red Cross tin.

Sound OK?

DJ’s Timber
6th September 2007, 08:11 PM
Good idea Ern, will bring some timber

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th September 2007, 08:24 PM
Now I'm really hoping the mods I've made to my Murphy traps work! :D

rsser
6th September 2007, 10:44 PM
Me too!

How about a few drams of the 'water of life' spread about the house ... to distract the goblins.

Calm
11th September 2007, 10:40 PM
Ern, I have good news, my brother rang me tonight and has bought a house here in Ballarat and has offered me the tenancy.

That means at the end of the month we move in and yes a SHED that's right a SHED. The lathe etc. can come out of storage and the best bit is it is just before the Melb WWW show so i guess some retail therapy will help forget the time since July 6th 2006. 455 Days without a shed not that i am counting or anything. :D:U:D:D:U:D:D:U:D

Photos will follow

Anyway back to why this post.

Have you had a chance to check out, in daylight, the peices i dropped off the other day?

Do you think there is something suitable in them?

Sorry Hughie but i couldn't help myself.

DJ’s Timber
11th September 2007, 10:56 PM
That is great news Dave :2tsup:

Has anyone got any preferences on sizes for some Redgum and hopefully some Yellowbox, I will be shooting up bush to the farm on Thursday to cut up some turning blanks and will hopefully bring a ute load of timber for the 'buy, sell, swap'

rsser
12th September 2007, 08:02 AM
Good news David!

As for the potential of your lumps ... depends on how thick you want the pedestal to be and of course on how sound they are when opened up. Best option looks like that full round lump of blackwood but we'll see.

I also have a length of plane tree; poss. too short but again we'll see once we line the bits up.

DJ, can I order a well-figured bit of redgum ? :U Around 300-350mm diameter.

Grumpy John
12th September 2007, 06:36 PM
That is great news Dave :2tsup:

Has anyone got any preferences on sizes for some Redgum and hopefully some Yellowbox, I will be shooting up bush to the farm on Thursday to cut up some turning blanks and will hopefully bring a ute load of timber for the 'buy, sell, swap'

Anything up to 400mm dia. suits me fine thank you very much. :2tsup::2tsup:

Cheers
GJ

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th September 2007, 09:10 PM
Has anyone got any preferences on sizes for some Redgum and hopefully some Yellowbox,

I'm looking for a piece that's around 12" long x 6" dia for a thin-walled hollow form. Redgum isn't the best for this, but before I commit myself to some expensive exotic, I'd like to make a test vessel or two with a timber I know fairly well...

I'll be looking at any yellowbox you take along, too! :wink:

(Hmmm... it might be worth your time to bring a suitable sized whacking stick for use on blokes in frocks, too. :innocent:)

DJ’s Timber
12th September 2007, 09:19 PM
No worries boys, will take your measurements with me .

There is a slight change in plans though, going up Friday instead now.

Had the tandem trailer on all day today and it felt heavier then normal to tow and did a quick check when I got home and one of the wheels is dragging, the brake probably has over tensioned itself, so need to sort that out before I go

rsser
14th September 2007, 05:48 PM
... well I've got the lurgy fellas so...

the lawn may not get mown :D ... just push the grass aside to get to the urn.

Seems like we may have the two Allans, Gra, GJ, DJ, , Skew, Rodent, Jess, Crazyscew, Calm, Scooter and whoever I've forgotten in my fever.

Agenda: turning a pedestal table on the Beast, and various on Scooter's machine, inc. we hope a goblet tute for Jess with some shmick tiger myrtle.

Menu: snags, bread and onions courtesy of Crazy and Rodent with some help from me (onions and sauce); shortbread bikkies for afternoon tea courtesy of Helen. Beer o'clock will be 4pm.

Bring eye protection and bullsh*t proof ear plugs.

Donation to the Red Cross tin for the catering.

If you're bringing stuff to sell, label it with your name and price. There'll be timber, cigar boxes (just right for chuck jaws etc), some tools and who knows what else.

Late RSVPs by PM or best sent via SMS to:

0408 xx0106. xx = the year Queen Lizzie was crowned.

Looking forward to it.

rsser
14th September 2007, 06:38 PM
... PS, I'm not into being whacked with my frock on. It creases it something horrible.

No bikkies for naughty Skew boy!!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
14th September 2007, 06:50 PM
But it's DJ's stick! :innocent:

I'm looking forward to the day... [fingers Xed]

rsser
14th September 2007, 07:04 PM
'spect DJ is trundling back from the farm and can't defend himself.

(got a wee bit of Blackwood burl for you here Skew .. should be good for a pen ... that's my version of fingers crossed ;-} .... )

Calm
14th September 2007, 07:43 PM
Skew

Dont worry about the biscuits. I have to wait up to 1 hour after midnight to pick up 17YO daughter from party so a fruit cake or 2 will get cooked.

And i thought maybe i would bring some scones and cream/jam as well surely they would not be wasted.

Mind you they will cost. I need advice on lots of WW stuff.

See you all Sunday bright & early

PS Allan from Wallan - there is an "Australian Standard" for jokes you realise

DJ’s Timber
14th September 2007, 10:52 PM
(Hmmm... it might be worth your time to bring a suitable sized whacking stick for use on blokes in frocks, too. :innocent:)

Found a great stick, just the right shape and all, but it was too long and heavy for the trailer :o

... PS, I'm not into being whacked with my frock on. It creases it something horrible.

Your safe for now Ern:2tsup:

But it's DJ's stick! :innocent:

[fingers Xed]

That's right and don't you boys forget it :~:q:U

DJ’s Timber
14th September 2007, 10:56 PM
And i thought maybe i would bring some scones and cream/jam as well surely they would not be wasted.

Mind you they will cost. I need advice on lots of WW stuff.

Count me in for Scones with cream & jam. What advice do ya want, will you have enough scones for our collective wisdom :roll:

DJ’s Timber
15th September 2007, 06:54 PM
This is the amount of timber I will be bringing tomorrow, run out of fuel for the C/S and couldn't be bothered mixing up another mix. The top lot is the Redbox and for size reference the 2 milled Redbox pieces are about 80mm thick.

Also a couple of smaller bits as well, that aren't in the picture.

The Yellowbox will have to wait till the next turnfest

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th September 2007, 07:37 PM
:clap3:

Gra
15th September 2007, 08:41 PM
Oh No.. Better refill the wallet :o, looks like i'm brown bagging it next week:U.

Dont sell it all before I get there (I'm gonna be late, got some family !@#$ going on:no:)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th September 2007, 08:42 PM
DJ, how much to buy it all now?

Just trying to be a good samaritan and help protect Gra from a dose of brown baggitis. :wink:

DJ’s Timber
15th September 2007, 08:53 PM
Oh No.. Better refill the wallet :o, looks like i'm brown bagging it next week:U.

Dont sell it all before I get there (I'm gonna be late, got some family !@#$ going on:no:)

You can relax Gra, will be doing another trip very soon if there is none left, plus I still have some here that won't be going tomorrow

DJ, how much to buy it all now?

Just trying to be a good samaritan and help protect Gra from a dose of brown baggitis. :wink:

It cost more to buy it bulk :o so no one could probably afford it :roll::U

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th September 2007, 09:05 PM
It cost more to buy it bulk :o so no one could probably afford it :roll::U

Ah well. Sorry Gra... I'm not that good a samaritan. :D

I've never turned Red Box before... how thin will it turn? Any idea of what thickness it becomes translucent at? Hard stuff?

(I'm wondering if a piece of that might do for the second piece of my project. Hmmm... :think:)

DJ’s Timber
15th September 2007, 09:28 PM
I've never turned Red Box before... how thin will it turn? Any idea of what thickness it becomes translucent at? Hard stuff?

(I'm wondering if a piece of that might do for the second piece of my project. Hmmm... :think:)

Been quite a while since I've turned any, don't have a lot of this stuff, not easy to come by. The good news here is that a tree has just fallen over and I will be recovering as much of it as I can. I also need to do a proper ID on it as I think it may even be Red Stringybark, the reason I say this, it's because a local tells me it's Redbox but it nothing like the Redboxes I know of. Next time I go up, I will be taking my little book of Trees Of Victoria to do a proper analysis.

I reckon you could go bloody thin with this stuff as it's very straight grained, but wouldn't think you would get much translucence due to the type of structure and colour of the grain

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th September 2007, 09:30 PM
I reckon you could go bloody thin with this stuff as it's very straight grained, but wouldn't think you would get much translucence due to the type of structure and colour of the grain

Like redgum, eh? Doesn't turn translucent until a split second before the hollowing tool makes like a grub and emerges out the side... :rolleyes:

Is there a piece around 6" x 12" in that pile? (Should just wait until tomorrow and see for myself. :p)

DJ’s Timber
15th September 2007, 09:46 PM
Like redgum, eh? Doesn't turn translucent until a split second before the hollowing tool makes like a grub and emerges out the side... :rolleyes:

Is there a piece around 6" x 12" in that pile? (Should just wait until tomorrow and see for myself. :p)

Something like that mate, you have to grab air to see it translucent :o

As for a piece that size, you just might have to wait till I get back up there as the bits I have wouldn't be suitable for what you have in mind. The main trunk of this tree is at least 5 or 6 metres long and about 800 or 900mm in diameter, so should be able to come up with something for ya :2tsup:. Unfortunately I didn't have the camera on me as I was on the tractor when I cut this bit up, so will have to wait till the next time for some pics

Cliff Rogers
15th September 2007, 11:01 PM
Have fun you blokes. :2tsup:

rsser
16th September 2007, 07:32 AM
... having fun already Cliff (6.32am!).

rowie
16th September 2007, 09:43 AM
my plans have changed, i can bring a mini lathe and some wood if you would like

ptc
16th September 2007, 11:17 AM
Thinking of you all.
Bloody cold here.

rsser
16th September 2007, 07:35 PM
Great day ... thanks to all those who came and contributed :D

Pic of the big event attached .. David is now the proud owner of a pedestal table turned in 3 pieces from bits of wattle and blackwood he harvested. One coat of Organoil DO.

[One item left behind: an insulated water bottle.]

Gra
16th September 2007, 08:25 PM
Thanks for having us Ern, Had a great time (Though gonna have to eat home made sandwich's for lunch for the next week:U)

I am just downlading the pics now, will shrink them and post the when the kids have gone to bed (Gotta build up them brownie points:U:U)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th September 2007, 08:30 PM
'Twas a good day indeed, the weather held off nicely until most of us started heading home, so we were lucky there. I doubt that Ern managed to kick back by the fire with a glass of red after we left this time... not unless he really likes it watered down. :D

I ended up bringing home several times the weight that I took... funny thing, that. :rolleyes: Scored a nice boxed set of small turning chisels - nothing super flash, but a good size for small detail work. And wood. Ah yes, the wood! :thyel: (Maybe I shoulda just asked DJ to leave it at my place when he picked me up this morning and saved him some fuel? :-)

Thanks again for the needlefelt bag, Ern. I haven't checked it for size yet, but in a worst case scenario it'll only take 10 mins to make a ply adapter.

I had meant to take a camera, but sorta forgot. Yet again. [sigh]

DJ’s Timber
16th September 2007, 08:55 PM
Good time was had by all I believe, nearly had to tie Crazyscew up but in the end he settled down and behaved himself :q:U.

I think just about everyone ended up with taking something home that they didn't come with, I certainly came back with less wood then I took :2tsup:

Timber I bought down, only got 3 left

Goblet in Tiger Myrtle turned by

Grumpy and Scooter checking the bearings on Scoot's lathe

The boys in Ern's shop

And finally the gang raiding the coffee after lunch

Allan at Wallan
16th September 2007, 09:31 PM
Great day ... thanks to all those who came and contributed :D

Pic of the big event attached .. David is now the proud owner of a pedestal table turned in 3 pieces from bits of wattle and blackwood he harvested. One coat of Organoil DO.

[One item left behind: an insulated water bottle.]

Great looking result David and sorry I could not attend
the event.

Will keep watching to see more pics.

Allan

Cliff Rogers
16th September 2007, 09:44 PM
Damn, I wish I could have been there. :(

The pedestal is ball-terrier. :2tsup:

Calm
16th September 2007, 10:16 PM
How do you thank someone who invites you to his house insists that you use his 'Stuby" lathe supplies the gouges, chucks and other tools, supplies the drill and sand paper for power sanding, then applies the Danish Oil as well as advice and design tips, Invites others to enjoy the day,

including

who gave advice and tips all day as well as giving a full lesson with pictures and examples on the turning of the pedistal to all those that attended.

"Thankyou" to Ern seems to be a bit cheap so the thinking cap will have to go on to come up with the appropriate gift.

To , a gentleman who promotes this industry/hobby better than anyone else I have meet thankyou. When I get help from someone usually a slab of bundy does the trick but a packet of tea bags hardly seems the same.

I had a day like none other since 6th July 2006, when the lathe went into storage, Yes it was definitely the best.

As well as that i received some great tips from , Ern, Dj & Skew on bandsaws and other "necesary purchases" at the WWW show.

I hope all others enjoyed the day as much as i did.

Allan from Wallan (who did not turn up) my apologies for the obvious enbarassment you felt over my remarks regarding your jokes - They were meant in jest

Ah pictures

The first is of the finished product, about 8 1/2 hours from the chainsaw to completion.

the second shows just what it was for. Definitly better than a milk crate with a board on it.

DJ’s Timber
16th September 2007, 10:30 PM
Good to see your using a coaster for the mug, talking of mugs, is that you on the chair. Don't recognize you without all the shavings and sawdust :q:U

Gumby
16th September 2007, 10:34 PM
Skew, mate, please help me here. How cold does it have to be before you wear some shoes :D

rodent
17th September 2007, 12:12 AM
It's my fault ern it's crazy's ill come over some time soon . Im burning your and 's disks right now then ill shrink some photos to attach in about 20 min ok .

ss_11000
17th September 2007, 12:44 AM
looks like you guys had lots of fun:2tsup:

that table thingo looks awesome:cool: so well done guys:)

cheers

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th September 2007, 01:15 AM
Calm's table is a ripper. The photo's don't do it justice, as it needs several more coats of Danish. However, when the first coat went on, WOW! Especially around that big knot on the pedestal.

Maw Nature - the ultimate artiste. With 's helping hand, of course. :2tsup:

Skew, mate, please help me here. How cold does it have to be before you wear some shoes :D

:think: Cold doesn't enter the equation. Wet does. It's not that I don't like the feel of mud squishing through my toes, but it's rather difficult to take my feet off when I go indoors. :rolleyes:

OGYT
17th September 2007, 02:54 PM
David's table is, without a doubt, a "ripper". :D Now Her Majesty wants one made out of Mesquite.
We've laughed 'til our sides ache, reading all these posts!!
Couldn't open the pics on DJ's post, though... can't even see the thumbnails... it opens to another page, and tells me I'm not signed in... but I am. Don't know what the deal is. Got into that fix another time, but don't remember what I did about it. :(
Sounds like a good time was had by all...
Skew sounds like one of my Sons... just wears flip-flops all year... unless the snow gets over 6 inches deep.
Glad you blokes all had fun!! Sounds good.

OGYT
17th September 2007, 03:07 PM
Couldn't open the pics on DJ's post, though... can't even see the thumbnails... it opens to another page, and tells me I'm not signed in... but I am.

No I wasn't. Duh!!:B:B:D

Also, Skew even looks like one of my sons!!... Ken? When did you go to Oz?.... :D

rsser
17th September 2007, 04:46 PM
Maybe a long lost twin you didn't know about Al ;-} ... strange things used to happen when they put bubs all in one ward way back when.

Yeah, it was a good day. Amazing result starting with big ragged lumps of timber in the morning and ending up with an outcome like the table by day's end. One of the things I love about turning.

I'd like to acknowledge all the generous contributions made by forumites ... not going to do so individually (since some will blush and others grumble I expect). But it's what made it both fun and a good learning experience.

I got some nice wood and some great tips (and some had baccy in front of them :2tsup: ), ate well, saw some superb turning and best of all got bumped out of my complacent state and realised how much there is yet to learn.

Thanks again everyone :)

ptc
17th September 2007, 06:04 PM
Same Here help please
"Couldn't open the pics on DJ's post, though... can't even see the thumbnails... it opens to another page, and tells me I'm not signed in... but I am. Don't know what the deal is. Got into that fix another time, but don't remember what I did about it."

Grumpy John
17th September 2007, 08:43 PM
Ern,
Thanks for hosting another great day and find included a shot of your new :2tsup:SHARP :2tsup: jaws. Scooter thanks for the lift over and thanks for the lift home.

rsser
17th September 2007, 10:59 PM
Thanks GJ ... that looks the biz!

PM sent.

Gra
18th September 2007, 12:09 AM
I promised Photos, so here goes. This first lot are of the table

Gra
18th September 2007, 12:12 AM
now for some of the other turning happening,

First is a goblet turned by in Tiger Myrtle.

Then a goblet turned by Skew, with a very thin stem (Have a close look at the middle).

The last two are some platters that were brought along for show and tell, I think by Grumpy John (?)

Gra
18th September 2007, 12:14 AM
Now for some people shots (Wont name names to protect the guilty)

Gra
18th September 2007, 12:16 AM
Last of all some candid shots, am thinking of using them in a caption contest :D

This first is skew hard at work, and the second is scooter and djstimber hamming it up in front of what was left of the for sale section when I arrived. (Was thinking that that one should be captioned Nyuck nyuck nyuck)

ss_11000
18th September 2007, 04:49 PM
how did skew do that to the stem and still have the thing standing?

Gra
18th September 2007, 05:08 PM
how did skew do that to the stem and still have the thing standing?

Thats the challenge:;:U

rsser
18th September 2007, 05:33 PM
Stood long enough for a Scot to take a sip .. ;-}

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th September 2007, 06:29 PM
No comment. :shutup1:

Let's just say that the finish on the top half of the stem is straight off the tool... 'cos I couldn't sand or apply EEE/Shellawax. :B

Grumpy John
18th September 2007, 06:36 PM
The last two are some platters that were brought along for show and tell, I think by Grumpy John (?)

Brought along purely for timber identification purposes, both are WIP's. The small piece was sold to me as ossage orange :((. The one with the chunks out of it is anyones guess very light weight timber, no-one could give a definate id to this timber. Any takers :?