PDA

View Full Version : LCD TV - dumb

Shedhand
15th August 2007, 07:43 PM
HELP

Anyone out there know how to get my new High Def LCD and set top box to do anything. I know nothing about this stuff and thought all I had to do is plug it all in and it would work. Fat chance. Had to buy a special cable, had to get an aerial, the damn TV just stares back at me with a blinking no signal message. The STB says 'GOOD' on its display. Geez. why cna't tech shyyte be simple.:((:((:((:?

Master Splinter
15th August 2007, 09:25 PM
Check that the LCD screen is working properly by plugging in a known good source - ie a DVD player that you've been using before.

Flick through the 'source' options to find the signal from the DVD player. If all you get is a blue screen (that's the equivalent to static on an analog set) then the LCD is amiss.

If you get a signal from the DVD player, then try plugging the set top box into a known good TV to see if 'good' means "I have a signal strong enough to lock onto and decode" or if it just means "I am not bursting into flames right at this moment, thank you for asking".

If both the STB and LCD test ok, start worrying about the cables. This is harder to work out (especially if you don't have a known good spare to swap in) but see if you can scrounge up some RCA leads or even an S-VID lead if they have those connections.

Hope that helps narrow it down....

If it's connected using the new-fangled HDMI cables, then you might also have to worry about HDCP (High Definition Content Protection). There have been quite a few problems reported with HDCP encryption ( /rant on its one of those lovely ideas which doesn't actually do what it is supposed to do, it was cracked before the first Blu-Ray discs hit the market, the cracked keys got revoked, and a new crack was again out before the first disks with new keys had hit the shelves /rant off)

Honorary Bloke
15th August 2007, 10:30 PM
The infamous "No Signal" message typically indicates you have selected the wrong source for input. Plug it all up and scroll through the sources. When all else fails, RTFM. :)

Cliff Rogers
15th August 2007, 10:31 PM
A carton of Boags & a ticket to Tassie & I'll be right there. :2tsup:

Honorary Bloke
15th August 2007, 10:32 PM
A carton of Boags & a ticket to Tassie & I'll be right there. :2tsup:

Why didnt I think of that?? :wink:

Cliff Rogers
15th August 2007, 10:53 PM
Why didn't I think of that?? :wink:
It is hard not to... check this (http://www.boags.com.au/Files/00685-Taste.asp) out & have a look at the slide show at the top of the screen.

Sorry for the hi-jack Shedie, maybe you can bribe a pimply face with a six pack of Coke & keep the beer for yourself. :wink:

Shedhand
15th August 2007, 11:27 PM
Just spent 2 hours on the dog 'n' bone wiv me little bruvver. Turns he's a font of knowledge on the arcane world of this stuff. I dug out some rca cables and plugged 'em in...selected AV as the sig source (note the expert use of the nerd's phraseology :D ) and bingo it worked though the HD signals didn't look too HD. Asked me what sort of aerial I had on the roof..I said, "huh, what aerial on the roof". :doh: Never needed one with the SD set-top box and CRT Loewe. Gotta go and buy me a new aerial. Geez, does it ever end. I was happy with the old 11" Black and White HMV with the coathanger stickin' out back. :no:
Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Cheers

Shedhand
15th August 2007, 11:36 PM
It is hard not to... check this (http://www.boags.com.au/Files/00685-Taste.asp) out & have a look at the slide show at the top of the screen.

Sorry for the hi-jack Shedie, maybe you can bribe a pimply face with a six pack of Coke & keep the beer for yourself. :wink:Mate, you been sucked in. Anyone drinks that enema inducer has rocks in the head. :C Nothing north of 42 deg South is worth drinking. :D Morilla wines and Cascade Beer. :2tsup: Thats the go. :cheers2:
:drink2:

Cliff Rogers
15th August 2007, 11:55 PM
Even in Tassie they have a deep south. :D :D :D :D :D

Ashore
16th August 2007, 12:44 AM
Even in Tassie they have a deep south. :D :D :D :D :D
Yep it starts in the North East corner and finishes in the South East corner:D :D :D

les88
16th August 2007, 08:28 AM
should of asked you grandkids or if you don't have any, someones else's. When mine youngest was 5 she would stand next to the mouse, suddenly you lost control as she slipped her hand under yours and took control.:oo::oo:
les