PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening Inside Bevels?

Cruzi
16th August 2007, 02:39 AM
With great Thanks this forum taught me some great sharpening methods for flat blades and chisels.

This has addicted me to sharp blades and anything blunt really annoys now. I have one of those (Carbitec) corner chisels, used to clean up or make corners on hinge mortices or just plain mortices, it has the bevel on the inside and has me stumped on how to sharpen it.

To make life even more difficult, I also do not own grinding wheeels or a proper belt sander, there is a WASP (greatest thing since sliced bread).

Help! :doh:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th August 2007, 02:48 AM
Flatten the back(s)?

Sounds wasteful of steel, but I can't see any other practical way... not and sharpen the all-important corner-most section too.

rsser
16th August 2007, 11:06 AM
- a safe-edge file
- an auger bit file (tho maybe too small), or
- grind the edge off a mill file so you don't b*gger one bevel while filing the other.

From the other Bible: The Complete Guide to Sharpening

son_of_bluegras
16th August 2007, 12:27 PM
A three square file or a triangular file is the first tool that comes to mind.
How about sticking sandpaper to a piece of wood or metal taking care to not go over the corner? The trick is to have whatever is abrading the chisel not rubbing on the other face (or you could make a jig to do both faces at once)

ron

scooter
16th August 2007, 05:26 PM
A three square file or a triangular file is the first tool that comes to mind.
How about sticking sandpaper to a piece of wood or metal taking care to not go over the corner? The trick is to have whatever is abrading the chisel not rubbing on the other face (or you could make a jig to do both faces at once)

ron

My first thought was a file as well.

Further to the sandpaper on wood idea, what about using a bit of hardwood "cover strap" moulding (see below) with wet & dry sandpaper glued to the flat face (ie. the wide face with sharp corners) & use it as a file to sharpen the inside bevel. Debur with a leather belt on the edge of the bench taking care not to dub the edge.
http://www.porta.com.au/catalog/images/BNE2008.gif
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/www.porta.com.au/catalog/images/BNE2008.gif
Cheers....................Sean

rsser
16th August 2007, 05:36 PM
Leonard Lee calls this the tool from hell to sharpen ... given the little space you have to move. He also observes that in his experience most are of softer steel than other chisels, hence the rec'n to use a file.

Apart from that (it it weren't enough!) he notes that many don't come square from the factory.

PM me if you'd like a scan of the pages devoted to this challenge in his book.

Cruzi
16th August 2007, 11:20 PM
Thanks for ideas guys, going to try the block of wood and wet & dry, will let you know how it goes, dunno if I'm happy about these being softer, easier to sharpen, but needs to be done more often.........

Andy Mac
16th August 2007, 11:33 PM
How about using one of these diamond hones? Like a small flat file, but a body of plastic with an industrial diamond surface attached, and the surface goes right to the edge of the body. Available in various grits, see here:
http://www.eze-lap.com/product/honestone.htm

Cheers,