PDA

View Full Version : The Best Book...

Fleen
16th August 2007, 03:57 AM
Hello All.

My sister has recently got a wood turning lathe and is very interested in turning, she wants to find out more about wood turning, especially turning bowls.

her birthday is on september 1st, so i have set her up an account on this forum, Fleen, because im sure she will find it usefull.

can you also recomend a good book to get her for her birthday?

many thanks

Simon (the brother!)

Gil Jones
16th August 2007, 06:00 AM
Simon,
Your own Richard Raffan has several woodturning books, and all are of excellent quality. I have this three piece set, and find it to be very educational.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1561586013/ref=pd_cp_b_4/102-6429190-6444161?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_r=197DYJZGGF8DP6F4EERH&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=252362401&pf_rd_i=1561584177
I do not know if the "free shipping" includes Australia, but it is worth a try. Also, the price is in US dollars, so here is the current conversion >>40.77 US Dollar = 48.61616 Australian Dollar.

Richard Findley
16th August 2007, 06:51 AM
Hi Simon

THE book to buy is something of a bible to woodturners (especially in the UK) is "Woodturning - A Foundation Course" by Keith Rowley. The title is a little like a school book but seriously, all aspects of turning are covered from basic to more technical. Will give you sis a great start.

The ISBN (incase you need to order it is): 1 86108 114 6

Hope this helps

Richard

RETIRED
16th August 2007, 08:38 AM
Hi Simon

THE book to buy is something of a bible to woodturners (especially in the UK) is "Woodturning - A Foundation Course" by Keith Rowley. The title is a little like a school book but seriously, all aspects of turning are covered from basic to more technical. Will give you sis a great start.

The ISBN (incase you need to order it is): 1 86108 114 6

Hope this helps

RichardWill second that. One of the best, simplest and no bull books around.:D

RETIRED
16th August 2007, 08:39 AM
Oh and get a lesson or 2 from a club.

orraloon
16th August 2007, 08:44 AM
I will also second that.

Regards
John

Wood Butcher
16th August 2007, 08:44 AM
The Keith Rowley book is a really good book to have, I use it as a reference a lot for teaching material. Also the Richard Raffan book "Turning Wood" had an accompanying video which allows you to see in practice what is talked about in theory. Both are worth getting a llok at.

mick61
16th August 2007, 01:54 PM
G`DAY A DVD would also be a great idea because It`s my belief that the easiest way to learn how to do something is to watch someone else who knows what they are doing. Tell her to join a club they are full of knowlegeable people who have learnt from there mistakes.
mick :D

best thing i did

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th August 2007, 09:09 PM
What said.

Rowley's book is excellent and tells you what to do in simple terms.

On the other hand, somebody giving you some hands-on practice soon shows you what not to do, which is rarely covered by books.

Both are equally important parts of the learning experience.

Cliff Rogers
16th August 2007, 10:41 PM
I started out with a few magazines & then got some lessons.
I think the first books & videos I got were Raffan's.
I have heaps of books now.

I don't have Keith Rowley's foundation course but I do have his Woodturning Projects & it it is good. (except the cunning bugger refers to his foundation course book & I don't have it. :rolleyes: )

RETIRED
16th August 2007, 11:20 PM
:d

tedworth
17th August 2007, 01:27 AM
I have always had a soft spot for The Craftsman Woodturner by Peter Child, from ABE booksearch about five quid including postage

Richard Findley
17th August 2007, 09:01 AM
Hi Tedworth,

Thats a great book and a very entertaining read but it was written in the 1970's so the way we work these days has changed quite a bit. Worth getting but perhaps not as an introduction to woodturning:2tsup:

Richard

Cliff Rogers
17th August 2007, 09:21 AM
I have it too, I thought it was a bit dry to read.

Christopha
17th August 2007, 10:30 AM
The Craftsman Woodturner was the first book I read that described simply the way to turn, not just soon to be outdated designs, and the method of turning hasn't changed at all.... Sure chucking and the likes have advanced in leaps and bounds but the basics haven't so the Childs book is still very relevant. It was available through the library system so maybe it's worth a quick borrow to check it out.
Hmmm, when I read it first it was hand written on parchment, back when tellies were steam powered and the computer was the kid with a slide rule...

hughie
17th August 2007, 08:38 PM
Brother Simon, :U

When you get your book/s picked out have a look at

http://www.bookcloseouts.com/default.asp?N=0

I have bought some really good books on turning here. It may take some time but the prices are very low even considering postage to the UK. I paid around 5-6 pounds for Richard Raffan and about the same for postage.

Fleen
17th August 2007, 08:49 PM
wow, thanks for all the help guys, i have just ordered Woodturning: A Foundation Course off ebay for £11.76, not too bad i thought.

Fleen, my sister will be so pleased!!

thanks simon