PDA

View Full Version : 2D drawings

notenoughtoys
16th August 2007, 02:51 PM
Hi guys,

I downloaded sketchup and have been having a ball playing with it making 3D drawings and now want to be able to transpose it into 2D drawings Is there some way of doing that in this program or a better alternative (or am I missing the point?)

Cheers
Bob K

Brown Dog
16th August 2007, 04:20 PM
G'day Notenough

What do you mean by transpose ?.....Do you just want to print your drawings in standard 2D views (ie plan, elevation etc) or are you looking to export to other CAD programs ?

If you just want to print drawings or parts of drawings its quite easy to do with the "standard views" option under the Camera menu. (as long as your drawing lines up with the axis)

To export....the free version only lets you export a couple of file formats most of which are graphic or pixel based, such as JPEG . So you can export to any kind of paint/drawing software. Though I dont see why you would need to

The PRO version lets you export (ie vector based )directly to programs like ACAD but I have never used it and dont know how well it would work.

Another option for importing into a CAD program (or vector based drawing)is to export as a JPEG and then trace over it....I have done this (not with google drawings but with other JPEGs ) but there are much better ways/software around for doin stuff like that.

hope this helps
Cheers
BD:2tsup:

notenoughtoys
16th August 2007, 05:03 PM
G'day Notenough

What do you mean by transpose ?.....Do you just want to print your drawings in standard 2D views (ie plan, elevation etc) or are you looking to export to other CAD programs ?

If you just want to print drawings or parts of drawings its quite easy to do with the "standard views" option under the Camera menu. (as long as your drawing lines up with the axis)

hope this helps
Cheers

sorry poor choice of words and yes you have helped, all I want is go from the 3d view to the 2d view to look at plan view, elevation etc, not so much to print but to then work on the individual components, I may have started back to front. I have drwan up some cabinets in 3d with the drawers pulled out etc which, as I say was fun,but I now want to work out the detail of the individual components that go together to make up the cabinet. I hope this has cleared it up a bit, I re read my posts after I posted and realised I'd waffled a bit, oops I'm doing that now aren't I :doh:

Brown Dog
16th August 2007, 05:25 PM
I may have started back to front.

I think everyone starts that way with sketchup:D....I know I did

When drawing up furniture or cabinets....I find the easiest way is to draw each part seperately exactly as you would make the part when you are actually building the thing.

eg. for a dovetailed drawer, draw the front, the back, the sides and the bottom with all joints as you would actually make them, then just put em together. Make each part a "component" then you can "hide" it (to make it easier to edit other parts) "copy" it or "scale" it to make other parts.
Doing it this way you can print out each part or group of parts in any view you like....to make it very easy to build you project without stuff ups (well, with out too may stuff ups :rolleyes: :D )

I like to do it this way as any unforseen problem can be worked out before cutting any wood.....this may be a little bit pedantic for some, but I think thats just how, in my case, the old coconut works :) .

cheers

martrix
16th August 2007, 08:23 PM
Go to Camera> click Parallel projection.

Then go to Camera again> click standard views and then choose from which angle you want. Front, back, right etc. Pretty hard hey?:rolleyes: :)

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=53256&stc=1&d=1187256106

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=53257&stc=1&d=1187256106

notenoughtoys
16th August 2007, 10:36 PM
Thanks guys. that's been really really helpful. I wanted to be sure how to use it before the free trial expires so I know whether to purchase or not. I take it you guys did? I was just looking at bidding $100+ on a decent drawing board on ebay but I know what I'll do with the money now. I'm so glad I bothered to ask.

Bob K

martrix
16th August 2007, 10:40 PM
Thanks guys. that's been really really helpful. I wanted to be sure how to use it before the free trial expires so I know whether to purchase or not. I take it you guys did? I was just looking at bidding $100+ on a decent drawing board on ebay but I know what I'll do with the money now. I'm so glad I bothered to ask.

Bob K

Free trial?:?

Mine is free forever.

notenoughtoys
16th August 2007, 11:16 PM
Free trial?:?

Mine is free forever.

Hmmm what have I got wrong :club: (this time)

martrix
16th August 2007, 11:20 PM
SU 6 free (http://sketchup.google.com/download.html)download.

notenoughtoys
17th August 2007, 12:32 AM
Thanks for that bit of advice. It took a bit. We'd downloaded the pro version and overlooked the free version (don't know how that happened). I had to totally uninstall and remove the pro version and install V6 twice before I could clear that trial time notice but it all seems to be good now. It's late now so I'll play with it tomorrow. Once again thanks, much appreciated.

Bob K