PDA

View Full Version : microwave drying

weisyboy
16th August 2007, 09:32 PM
they finaly realised that microwave drying could be done on a large scale i have been thinking about this for a wile. the only problem was i couldnot get a big enough microwave.

http://sres-associated.anu.edu.au/fpt/drying/dielectric.html

bigAl
16th August 2007, 10:59 PM
What a great idea! I'll need about 300 second hand microwave ovens, some wire, solder and about 300 double adapters.

Also required is some tinfoil to wrap around my head (and other sensitive body parts) when ever I go into the garage. Probably also important to remember to remove the tin foil after leaving the garage...although walking through West End with half a roll of Alfoil down your trousers and the other half fashioned into a pirate hat would probably not rate a second look.

hughie
17th August 2007, 08:08 PM
Several years ago I worked on a project to instantly dry paint on sheets of building material we got it down to about 20mins. But it was not fast enough though.
Prior to that it has been used to instantly cure epoxy resin pipes, again it to never got off the ground to unstable. Instantly hard epoxy in the wrong place can be a challenge :C :C ........:U

benji79
17th August 2007, 10:49 PM
Speaking of microwave drying, ive been drying my roughed out blanks ok in the microwave, buy i have some smaller pieces I want to dry. These pieces are covered in wax. Do I have to remove all the wax or can I just nuke it as is?

Benji

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th August 2007, 10:54 PM
I'd remove as much wax as possible:melted wax makes a mess in the microwave. DAMHIKT :- it still seals the moisture in, when you want it out. So removal means faster drying. wax can ignite once it gets hot enough - at a lower temp than wood. did I mention that melted wax is really, really messy? :rolleyes:

benji79
17th August 2007, 10:57 PM
Thanks Skew,

Lucky I only put it in on defrost for 2 Min's. (he says wiping the sweat of his forehead, looking over his shoulder for the wife:oo: )

Benji

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th August 2007, 11:14 PM
I just scrape most of it off with a knife, metal ruler or similar then nuke the blank on top of a bit of paper towel folded over a few times, stopping a few seconds after the wax melts properly. Wipe the blank down, replace the paper and repeat. Simple.

Just keep an eye on it and you should be right. :wink: (I don't recommend walking away for "just a few seconds" even when the wood isn't waxed. Things happen fast when nuking.)

Lignum
17th August 2007, 11:20 PM
Probbably not what you are talking about, but i turned this early last year (sorry for the blury pic, as just took while typing this. The bowls not flash looking at the moment as its been used as a candle holder:)

Anyway, i turned it green and put a big rubber band around it and put it in the microwave with a bowl of water. The result was cool. A footy shaped bowl:wink:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th August 2007, 11:39 PM
I like it! Sorta got a yin-yang thing going. :)

Did you so some carving/sanding after nuking it? Or did it split like that naturally?

Lignum
17th August 2007, 11:48 PM
Skew, you are spot on. I had the ying-yang in mind when i made it. It realy needs a 3d view to see it propperly.

And i did do some cutting/carving. I should clean it up and take a cleaner pic:)