PDA

View Full Version : Grinder Wheels

Bids
17th August 2007, 01:11 PM
I am a little confued. I wish I didn't have to say this as often as I do!!
I have also searched on the site before "asking the mob".
I can get pink or white aluminium oxide wheels or green silicon carbide wheels.
Does the colour indicate a particular grit or is it just a colour selected by a manufacturer?
I sharpen, the usual stuff just chisels and blades of hand planes and ocassional turning chisel.
What should I purchase.
Thanks
Bids

K_S
17th August 2007, 03:34 PM
I am a little confued. I wish I didn't have to say this as often as I do!!
I have also searched on the site before "asking the mob".
I can get pink or white aluminium oxide wheels or green silicon carbide wheels.
Does the colour indicate a particular grit or is it just a colour selected by a manufacturer?
I sharpen, the usual stuff just chisels and blades of hand planes and ocassional turning chisel.
What should I purchase.
Thanks
Bids

www.kestrelcreek.com/Articles/Grinding_Wheel.htm (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/www.kestrelcreek.com/Articles/Grinding_Wheel.htm)

plus many more on google if you type in coloured grinding wheels:rolleyes:

scooter
17th August 2007, 04:08 PM
Keith's link above isn't coming up for some reason, Google's cached version of the same page is here (http://72.14.235.104/search?q=cache:jKkaO8MNwEwJ:www.kestrelcreek.com/Articles/Grinding_Wheel.htm+kestrel+creek+grinding&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=au).

Cheers....................Sean

rsser
17th August 2007, 07:42 PM
FWIW I picked up a Norton pink wheel cheap from Carba-tec. It has a hard bond and sharpens as well as clogs fairly quickly compared to their white and blue wheels. Fine with HSS. With CS you have to take care to avoid blueing.

TrevorOwen
17th August 2007, 09:04 PM
Bids
White aluminium oxide is all you need. Mine is fine and has the number 120 on it which might be 120 grit. The green wheel is for sharpening silicon carbide such as tips of masonary drills. I don't know what the pink aluminium oxide wheel is for.

Regards
Trevor

scooter
18th August 2007, 04:00 PM
Quote from a UK mag "The Woodworker & Woodturner" I read the other day re Pink & Red wheels, compared to white.

"Also aluminium oxide but have chromium oxide added to the grit, the more chromium the redder the wheel. Chromium oxide toughens the grit and affects the way the abrasive particles break down helping to keep the wheel sharp. Pink wheels, while slightly softer than the red wheels, are more suited to sharpening fine edge tools as they cut cooler than the red wheels, whilst red wheels being harder are more suited to sharpening gouges for instance."

rsser
18th August 2007, 04:08 PM
Good stuff Sean; thanks.

I'm now using a 1.5" Norton blue wheel. Around 56 grit it has a very open structure and runs cool ... good for protecting the fine edges of CS plane or chisel blades.

Iain
18th August 2007, 09:06 PM
Aus Woodsmith did an article on wheels, will try to find the issue, it offered advice on how to 'break' the code on the side of the wheel, something like K606 equates to K=Al Oxide 60=60 grit and 6=6" wheel, for me I use a 60 grit white wheel for my HSS turning tools and marking knives, the grey wheel for sharpening the shovel.

kman-oz
9th October 2007, 02:07 PM
A little out of context, but, where can one purchase a Norton white wheel in Melb? I haven't seen any, nor do Carbatec stock them... help!

Perhaps someone at the show this weekend will have them?

rsser
9th October 2007, 04:37 PM
Industrial supplies and tools places mostly have them. Otherwise, mail order from Jim Carroll.

Iain
9th October 2007, 05:30 PM
Hafco in Dandenong have them, don't know if they are Norton