PDA

View Full Version : You're never too old to learn

Grumpy John
18th August 2007, 12:58 PM
This post is really just a public thankyou to who was gracious enough to spend a day helping me refine some of my techniques. I was considering enrolling in a course at Holmseglen TAFE ($220 ouch). Never would have learned the angle grinder trick there, won't go into it for fear of copping too much flack.
Once again, thanks for the help .:) :) :)

RETIRED
18th August 2007, 02:23 PM
The pleasure was mine.

scooter
18th August 2007, 04:18 PM
Not surprised.

Bet you had a great day John. :)

Drink tea, d'ya??? :D

Grumpy John
18th August 2007, 04:25 PM
Not surprised.

Bet you had a great day John. :)

Drink tea, d'ya??? :D

Just a cup or 20. Mine was coffee though.:D

BANNED
18th August 2007, 04:30 PM
G'day Grumpy John,

I've no doubt having some, one to one lessons from a pro, beats any Tafe course, any time. Now, and am sorry about my curiosity, would you share that grinder "trick" with us please. Don't worry about any of the boys flack, they are all harmless!:D

I would prefer you to do it, but if you "ain't do it", maybe will! :wink:

Cheers
GV

Grumpy John
18th August 2007, 04:36 PM
G'day Grumpy John,

I've no doubt having some, one to one lessons from a pro, beats any Tafe course, any time. Now, and am sorry about my curiosity, would you share that grinder "trick" with us please. Don't worry about any of the boys flack, they are all harmless!:D

I would prefer you to do it, but if you "ain't do it", maybe will! :wink:

Cheers
GV

GV
I'm not sure whether (weather) or not you read a previous thread, the subject matter being the combining of power tools with spinning timber. I personally don't want to open that can of worms again so I'll handball this one to (for the benefit of our O/S readers handball means pass to:rolleyes: )

Cheers
Gj

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th August 2007, 05:11 PM
Chicken! :D

I'm a tad envious 'cos I know I could learn a lot from . Sadly, I'm pig-headed enough that I know I'd probably fall back into old, bad habits the next day without a moments' thought. :-

Still envious though!

RETIRED
18th August 2007, 06:24 PM
To satisfy the curiosity of many: I will use whatever machine to obtain the results needed.

To sand some work, largely due to size or crankiness of grain I "power sand" with a 5 inch or 9 inch angle grinder fitted with a sanding disc.

Like Neil I have used axes, tomahawks, ordinary wood chisels, a shovel (sharpened of course, not that feral:D ), a crowbar, a pinchbar, tyre levers, screwdrivers and any thing else that has steel in it and an edge can be put on it. These were used at demonstrations to prove that as long as you can put an edge on it, it will cut. Maybe not very well but it will still cut.

I have also used a powered plane and a normal plane as well as a router when conventional methods didn't work.

I still prefer using proper chisels though because they work the best.

I calculate the risks and having been around machinery (some that would make your hair curl and send OH&S into overdrive) all my life know my own and the machines limitations. I have never been badly injured and I still have 10 digits.

All my equipment terrifies me. You live longer that way.

BANNED
18th August 2007, 06:50 PM
Yeah, I understand your point, Grumpy John, do I ever...?
Actually I remember to read that thread, with fireworks flying in all directions, huh?.

Thanks , I knew about that one from you, I just thought that you did come out with some other trick! sorry.

If only people had the "guts" to come up in the open and admit things they did/do with/when turning timber...!:oo:

Cheers
GV

rsser
18th August 2007, 07:45 PM
Saw Guilio M doing deep hollowing at a WWW show, with a scraper bit fixed in the end of a crow bar.

Admired his courage and lateral thinking but at the same time had to laugh as the tool bounced this short *rse up and down ;-}

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th August 2007, 09:15 PM
I think theses are the important bits:

I calculate the risks and having been around ...
---8<---
... know my own and the machines limitations.

:wink:

rsser
19th August 2007, 09:18 AM
If only people had the "guts" to come up in the open and admit things they did/do with/when turning timber...!:oo:

Frankly you can hear the war stories in any turning group; they no longer interest me unless I also hear about what the turner learned and did differently.

hughie
19th August 2007, 09:46 AM
War stories, hmmm, yes I would rather hear of successful innovation rather than the stories If its only the war bit.