PDA

View Full Version : What's yer poison?

windbreaker
18th August 2007, 09:09 PM
Don't know if this has been done before. I'll kick off.

Tooheys Old. It has to be out of a keg and MUST be cold.
Good scotch Whiskey just with ice.
If one must drink whiskey with coke then any whiskey may suffice
Like a good drop of wine too. Red or white. Like WA wines.

I think I may have a problem.

WB

Harry72
18th August 2007, 09:16 PM
Its in my avatar...

Doughboy
18th August 2007, 09:16 PM
Glen Livit

Lochanora

Glayva

jisk
18th August 2007, 09:23 PM
Glenmorangie or Glenfiddich if it's something special.

Other than that, almost anything. Red or white wine, or lagers.

craigb
18th August 2007, 09:23 PM
Ice

pawnhead
18th August 2007, 09:54 PM
Aalborg Akavit
Coopers Ale
Or more commonly, just plain old garden variety VB, if it's on special. (which it usually is) :-

Poppa
18th August 2007, 09:56 PM
Real beers, not chemical-laden mass-produced stuff. Dark beers, stouts, and malty red-brown beers. If I'm going to drink a paler beer than make it a Hoegarten or a Coopers, something with real taste.

Red wine. Robust, Australian stuff - best in the world. Shiraz from the Barossa, Cab Sauv from Coonawarra, blends from McLaren Vale, anywhere the wine is good. Doesn't have to be expensive, but life is too short to drink bad wine.

White wine, NZ Sauv Blanc and that's about it. And stickies.

Scotch. With ice. Single Malt, the milder varieties. Cardhu, Glen Morangie, Glenfiddich, etc.

And a whole lot of other stuff depending on what mood I'm in, like Irish whisky, vodka, ouzo. But I have to admit that these days I drink more tea and coffee than grog. Must be getting old....

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th August 2007, 10:29 PM
Knockando or Bruichladdich. :cheers:

(Single malt whiskies, to the uninitiated boors. :innocent:)

Cliff Rogers
18th August 2007, 10:45 PM
Tooheys Old. :2tsup: :2tsup: :2tsup:

I don't mind it from a bottle 'cos that are not too many places up here with it on tap, nearest is about 35kms away.

Cagey
18th August 2007, 11:23 PM
Shiraz
Good Scotch (occasionaly)
beer if i have to (VB or Cascade)
Tequila and Jägermeister when ive already had too much to drink
but just discovered Guinness, and having one now :D

hansp77
19th August 2007, 12:56 AM
Like Poppa,
good beers, real beers, tasty, amber, brown, stout, pale whatever- just not that mass produced bland crap.
My standard bottom of the barrel everyday beer would be coopers, pale, sparkling or even stout.

Red wine I like strong and full, even a bit sharp, shiraz, cab sav, etc, get that damn Merlot away from me. Australian is great.

White, is sav blanc.

then of course the spirits.
Scotch, anything good, and as a base, Jamesons.
Then rum, I like Mount Gay.

yeah I spose thats a problem.
Oh well.

Schtoo
19th August 2007, 01:20 AM
Not much.

I have lost my taste for beer, even the better stuff. Which hurts since dad-in-law has about 6 boxes of top end ($60 a box) beer, he can't drink it and I don't want to. :(

Can't stand whisk(e)y any more, unless it's cut with something sweet or is a little on the expensive side. The only one I have tried (so far) that I would buy is Suntory's second top whisky. 17 years old and over $200 a bottle. It can be drunk neat without setting alarm bells off. I have no doubt their 30 year old stuff is better, but that's over $1000 a bottle. :oo:

Don't drink wine either.

Coffee or tea, that's a different thing. Coffee I drink too much of, and the teas I don't mind drinking would make most of you guys sick.

I know I can't drink, and I don't particularly care. :D

Sebastiaan56
19th August 2007, 07:40 AM
Only one real choice, Coopers Sparkling Ale. No headaches or any other carry on in the morning. Naturally carbonated, sweet on the front of the pallet, clean finish. Serve cold with the rest of your life. As far as I can tell formulation hasnt changes in the 35yrs since I first tried it. Used to drink Old till they buggered it up about 20 yrs ago, the got rid of the burnt grain overnotes and changed to hop to dilute the flavour. Same with Hahn Premium a formula change 4yrs ago, changed the hops, blech..

I will indulge in other fine ales, Little Creatures Pale Ale, although the Pacific Northern hop can be a bit much after too many, a local drop called Barons which is like the Little Creatures but the hops are better balanced. Guinness is always good and so is Hellentauer. I will try anything once, sometimes thats one to many.

Dont bother with other tipples, just dont like em,

Sebastiaan

Iain
19th August 2007, 09:48 AM
Fosters or Southwark, best beers in the world:gaah: :yuk:

rgum
19th August 2007, 06:46 PM
[quote]I don't mind it from a bottle 'cos that are not too many places up here with it on tap, nearest is about 35kms away.[quote]

Good gads Cliff. Where do you live. Uppercombuckter west? :o

Beer...glorious beer. Love an expensive Cab Sav.

Cliff Rogers
20th August 2007, 09:18 AM
Good gads Cliff. Where do you live. Uppercombuckter west? :o
Atherton tablelands, about 100 from Cairns on the southern end.... nearest 'shed' that is has a licence is 9kms away, nearest real bricks & mortar pub is 12kms away.

John Saxton
22nd August 2007, 08:53 PM
Another for Toohey's Old,one of the best dark brews around.

Bushmills filtered ...a nice whiskey.

Margeret River Reds,occasionally a Cloudy Bay Sav Blanc .

Cheers:)

Cliff Rogers
22nd August 2007, 11:03 PM
Oooo... Damn. I'll have to find that Bushmills filtered stuff & try it 'cos I with you on the other stuff too. :D

Krazee
22nd August 2007, 11:03 PM
All of the above. Even sure I will like the ones I don't know about until now!.

Cliff Rogers
22nd August 2007, 11:19 PM
All of the above. Even sure I will like the ones I don't know about until now!.
I'm into the plag'n of port now :bubbles: .... at the stage, you will try just about anything. :patty:

Krazee
23rd August 2007, 12:04 AM
Reminds me of uni days. VB cans to the ceiling until money became short and last resort was a flagon of port.

jerryc
16th October 2007, 04:15 PM
Favourite drink? Too hard as it would be a list of beer, fortifieds, wine and spirits.

Depends on the occasion, food and company.

But the standalone for relaxation and contemplation is Macallen single malt. No ice no water.

Jerry

Iain
16th October 2007, 05:00 PM
Favourite drink? Too hard as it would be a list of beer, fortifieds, wine and spirits.

Depends on the occasion, food and company.

But the standalone for relaxation and contemplation is Macallen single malt. No ice no water.

Jerry

A man after my own heart, or to hear me quote "what would you like with your Scotch Sir" "A very clean glass thankyou"

Pusser
16th October 2007, 05:36 PM
single cask single malts no ice, esp Islay, (Ardbeg,Bowmore, Lagavulin,Laphroaig) and a few speysides (Glenfarclas,Mortlach)

SA Reds, Marlbrough sav blank

for beer pale ales

etc - I am really only fussy over whiskeys in terms of brand and locale

Pusser

MikeT
29th January 2008, 05:20 PM
Somewhat belated but ...

Beers? I always come back to James Squire Amber Ale as a fav. I like Little Creatures but can only really have one or two before it becomes a little too strong in flavour. There are lots and lots of others - some mainstream, some boutique, but I always come back to Squire. Some English Ales are great but don't buy them regularly enough to quote names. Oh - love guiness and kilkenny but it is only real high on the list when from the tap and set up correctly with lots sold or it can taste truly woeful. Don't like to drink the cheaper stuff but will if I have to except for VB (and Fosters). VB from a can should be a criminal offence. Coopers is OK but these days a little overrated IMO.

Spirits - not a real fan of any - got sick on too many when young. I guess some that are mixed to the point of no longer tasting them are OK. Though quite like schnappes, and stuff like frangelica.

Wines - Have a sweet tooth so prefer sweeter wines generally. If it's dry there needs to be lots of flavour. Whites generally or old reds with the tannins largely gone (which means expensive unfortunately). Love stickys - the best I've ever had have been NZ ones. Love fortifieds too - muscat is the fav (Stanton and Killeen 12yr is great for the price - to my taste buds) then Tokays then Ports (have been scarred by a bad port incident around a campfire).

And love my teas - have piles of different leaf teas, blacks, greens, rooibos, etc

patty
29th January 2008, 05:49 PM
Beer Standard VB
Beer Treating Myself Boags Premium
Any Red from WA and Some Hunter Valley
White Wine Sucks
Scotch Glennfiddich or Chivers on special Occasions
Everyday Spirit Jack Daniels or Canadian Club

abitfishy
29th January 2008, 06:01 PM
Browns Brothers Moscato white wine. Slightly lower alcohol, VERY easy to drink. Yum.

Ivan in Oz
29th January 2008, 06:31 PM
Browns Brothers Moscato white wine. Slightly lower alcohol, VERY easy to drink. Yum.

To easy to drink.
VERY Yum......................with Fish:D:2tsup:

Actully
Anything Brown Brothers

Geoff Dean
29th January 2008, 06:44 PM

To easy to drink.
VERY Yum......................with Fish:D:2tsup:

Actully
Anything Brown Brothers

Ah, good old BB. SWMBO works there, makes for quite an extensive range at home. Never get sick of her bringing her work home.:D (but have got a little seedy a few times):D:D

artme
31st March 2008, 07:48 PM
Too many good ones to name, but at least I have graduated from Stone's Green Ginger Wine, brown muscat and Fosters.:oo::oo::o

Love a good single malt but not with ice, Straight or with cool water only otherwise flavours are lost if the Scotch is too cold.
Love robust Aus. reds, not so robust Aus. reds, Aus. reds of quality and a few whites.:2tsup::2tsup:

Love Champagne!:2tsup::2tsup:

Love Caiparina!:2tsup::2tsup:

Best beers I've ever had are all brewed by my son. Outside that dark beers with Guiness at the top of the list.:2tsup:

Incoming!
5th April 2008, 07:12 PM
Laphraoig - with just the merest drop of water.

Sleeping Dog
5th April 2008, 08:25 PM
Spirits - not a real fan of any - got sick on too many when young.

Yup. What he said...

I'd like to like wine but honestly it's wasted on me. No matter what the reputation or price, to me all wine tastes the same.(I can however tell the difference between red and white):?

I'm strictly a beer man.
Boags St George
Squires
Tooheys Old
Kilkenny from the tap

John Saxton
9th May 2008, 09:50 PM
Life's gettin' too short, and to add a few to the previous "Gentlemen Jacks",
not a bad drop when even watching the Western Force get walloped.

Black Bushmills on its own in a real chilled glass..no ice to dilute.(not to share with visitors ,only for personal consumption).

Of course the occassional Glen Fiddich does not go amiss but with Chilled glass.

Willespie Shiraz , always nice on the palate with a steak / casserole.

Cheers:)

Ashore
9th May 2008, 10:18 PM
Red wine. Robust, Australian stuff - best in the world. Shiraz from the Barossa, Cab Sauv from Coonawarra, blends from McLaren Vale, anywhere the wine is good. Doesn't have to be expensive, but life is too short to drink bad wine.

Ha! Try the hunter Shiraz or pinot and you won't touch that S.A. stuff again ( and at a better value for money )

Stone's Green Ginger Wine, brown muscat and Fosters
Love Champagne!

Love Caiparina!

How girly is this forum becoming, those are chaps drinks , never proper shed drinks :doh:

Koala-Man
12th May 2008, 03:36 PM
Beer: Coopers or anything German. Preservatives make my sinuses ache.

Wine: red cleanskin $3.99/bottle from my local bottle shop.

Gaz.

Wild Dingo
21st May 2008, 01:56 AM
Cant stand wine... Tastes like vinigar to me... well the whites no matter what brand what type what price still tastes like vinigar :doh:

But of recent times Ive found Im getting a real taste for red wine... well two to be precise... both from Kirup... Kirup Syrup and Kickarse... man theyre nice... best way we found to REALLY enjoy the Syrup was to have a glass of a "nice" red standing by have a sip of the Syrup to get the kick happening then a sup of the red then the Kirup tastes bloody brilliant puts the other to shame it do... kickarse is just that kickarse... great fortified wine that one sold by the plagon at the Kirup Tavern $28 per plagon and about the same % alcohol... tastes great in my view mixed with some Syrup.

Actually just thinking about that I think Im about due for another quick hop to Kirup shortly as I drank a bottle of Syrup on the way to Broome another 3 in Broome and 1 more on the way back so Ive got 2 left I think... and Im clean out of Kickarse :C blasted sister REALLY cultivated a taste for it!

Well thats the extent of my wine drinkin :q Im a true blue wine konisooer eh! :U

The Bleeder
21st May 2008, 09:18 AM
Bundy on to Bundy off (straight .. puts hairs on ya chest and at the same time takes em off)

Beer..(homebrew) mate of mine make great smoked pilseners
otherwise its Tooheys Old (black), Tooths Old (brown) or reckers

That's how I got my Indian name The Bleeder - 'Bleeds thru eyes after big night out'

Steve

robyn2839
23rd May 2008, 12:04 AM
fourex.home brewed(distilled )60% oyzo and buckets full of bundy rum.bob

artme
31st May 2008, 09:55 AM
read my post again!:p:p:p

artme
21st July 2008, 07:48 PM
Just polished of a bottle of Whistler's Hubert Irving 2004.
Scrumptious!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

nicko
1st August 2008, 11:48 PM
c'mon ashore - Ha! Try the hunter Shiraz or pinot and you won't touch that S.A. stuff again ( and at a better value for money )

to quote a line from a great movie 'tell him he's dreaming'.

Poppa is right SA is the way to go. The Hunter Valley isnt even close to SA wines. Barossa, Clare, McLaren Vale, Coonawarra etc etc.

As for beer Tooheys Extra Dry if money is low. Heineken, Gage Roads, Blue Tounge, Squires if im feeling rich.

Whisky - Jamesons, Glenfiddich, Glen Livet.

Dont mind a Port. One of the best I had was from a winery that sold it in what looked like a former engine coolant container. $10 a container and it tasted great. Must have been the added coolant!

Ashore
2nd August 2008, 12:45 AM
Your right nicko the hunter isn't even close to SA Barossa, Clare, McLaren Vale, Coonawarra and thank god it's not we have propper soil for wine growing and thats why we are the best , name any of your wines that have been entered in the paris wine show and won gold medals in two diffrent catagories for the same wine simply because the wine was just soooo good ,
As for beer "Tooheys Extra Dry if money is low". so what do you south australians throw into the mix , southwark, or pale ale which you serve in 6oz glasses cause even the locals cant stand it in larger amounts , and your beer is on a good par to your wine :2tsup:

Iain
2nd August 2008, 09:39 AM
Heineken used to be good until CUB buggered it along with Stella, Becks and a couple of others.
I reckon Aldi MVP is as good as any of the CUB 'Imports' and only $27.00.
The only local drop I like is the Tooheys Old (and MVP).

artme
5th August 2008, 09:25 PM
Still like Boags Strongarm Bitter, Like Southwark, Like all Coopers and Guiness. canadian La Blatt is good as is Bohemia from Brazil

had a bottle Of Pepperjack shiraz last nigt. Yum!!

nicko
12th August 2008, 11:08 PM
C'mon ashore, Paris Wine show... How many Australians care what the French think?

Check out James Halliday's Australian Wine Companion - http://winecompanion.com.au/page/41/Top+100+2008

This link shows the Top 100 wines. Now the Hunter Valley may have got a mention under the white wine section, I don't drink white, I would have to ask the Mrs if it's any good.
SA wines are all over this list. Add up the number of times the Hunter Valley gets a mention in the Red wine category. You won't need a calculator to add up 0. Don't forget to see SA's Grange at number 1.

Artme, have you seen that Pepperjack have put out a beer?

Wild Dingo
27th September 2008, 06:29 PM
Okay forget the rest THIS IS THE DROP!!!

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn181/Wild_Dingo_photo/mini-boozeday005.jpg

an to prove Im no flamin lace curtain nancy boy...

upseedaysy!!

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn181/Wild_Dingo_photo/mini-boozeday019.jpg

OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn181/Wild_Dingo_photo/mini-boozeday020.jpg

Real nice drop with a bottler of a name!! Kirup Syrup Kickarse... an its only 22% too so very drinkable :;

Pusser
27th September 2008, 11:51 PM
Hey, are those eyes popping out in the last photo:o

Wild Dingo
28th September 2008, 12:36 PM
Hey, are those eyes popping out in the last photo:o

mmmm well... actually the photos were one of those hahahaha lets take a shot or two of me suckin from the plagon things :2tsup: ...no booze was MEANT to pass my lips... :doh:

And well as can be seen booze DID pass my lips!!! :o

First the big gob full... the startled look you noticed... then some trickled down the throat... next shot of a confused startled look of uncertainty... then some more trickled down... eyes closed slight mmmmmmmmm sound emitted from same throat.... then glug glug glug... and Joshy had to tear the plagon away from me!!! :o

Damn nice drop!! :2tsup: