PDA

View Full Version : Grinding Jig MkII

Stu in Tokyo
19th August 2007, 12:48 AM
Well, my old wooden grinding jig is just not doing it for me anymore, too sloppy, and hard to get a consistent grind on my tools, I'm wasting good tool steel! :(

Today, I had a bit of time, so I whipped this up.....

53440 53441 53442 53443
(Sorry for the small pics, after one pic, my cell phone camera decided to take small pics, dunno why????)

Took me about 2 hours, start to finish, I'd been noodling it for some time, so at least that part was done before I started:B

I'd have bought a Oneway Vari-grind jig, really I would have, but the hole in it, IIRC, is too small for my wonderful P&N Supra Flute gouge, so I saw little point in buying the Oneway unit.

Works slick as can be! :2tsup:

Cheers!

PS, I LOVE my MIG welder! :D

Harry72
19th August 2007, 01:00 AM
Looks the part Stu, well done mate:2tsup:

Burnsy
19th August 2007, 01:27 AM
Another masterpiece Stu, just needs a lick of paint and a pic of it in use:wink:

BANNED
19th August 2007, 02:13 AM
G'day Stu in Tokyo,

I agree, I coat of pro's-paint, and would look like factory made!
I believe, that one is going to last you a bit longer than the wood one, huh?
I've been sharpening all my tools by hand, but I think is time for me to do something about it, as the hands are not as stable as before (shakes).
Anyway, well done!:2tsup:

Cheers
GV

Stu in Tokyo
19th August 2007, 05:16 AM
Paint.................. you lot want me to PAINT it..... :o

Well OK, maybe just this once :;

Sebastiaan56
19th August 2007, 07:10 AM
Dont believe em Stu, baked enamel is really what they are after,

Barry_White
19th August 2007, 11:42 AM
Stu

I think it was just your penchant for all things steel and welded together that made you make it.

My copy of your timber one is working a treat and I don't think I will be copying your all steel one.

I think that having it powder coated would be the go.

Stu in Tokyo
19th August 2007, 02:44 PM
Thanks gents.

I've done a bit more tweaking to the jig, I added wings on the adjuster arm nut and I took off the big plastic knob, as it was interfering, it would bump the grinder at the extreme lean, replacing it with a wing too. I also welded a nut on the top, as my threaded hole was not quite square.

53474 53475 53476 53477

Cont.........

Stu in Tokyo
19th August 2007, 02:46 PM
here are two shots of it in use.......

The thinnest gouge I have a spindle gouge

and the Supra Gouge

Both fit, and I get nice even grinds on them.

Yep, I'm happy with this upgrade. :2tsup:

scooter
20th August 2007, 11:09 PM
Looks like a good 'un, Stu :2tsup:

How did you cut the slot for the arm angle adjustment?

Stu in Tokyo
20th August 2007, 11:25 PM
Thanks Scooter!

I drilled a series of 8mm holes on an arc, to get the shape I wanted, then I used a metal cutting blade in my jigsaw, and cut out most of the waste. After that it was sweat and bloody knuckle or two, with a round and half round file, took about 15 minutes.

Cheers!

Hardenfast
21st August 2007, 08:25 PM
Most impressive Stu - as usual. I have actually ordered one of the Oneway grinding kit setups, complete with Vari Grind and Stone Balancing jigs. I am heading to the US in a couple of weeks so will bring it back with me, along with some other goodies. :D

I don't have a Supra Flute gouge so the One Way set should be just fine for the time being. What a monster! I have enough trouble controlling the smaller tools, let alone feeling that thing bite its way through a spinning man-trap.

I look forward to getting back here with the equipment and giving it a try.

Wayne

Stu in Tokyo
21st August 2007, 11:45 PM
The Supra Flute is only used (by me) as a bowl roughing gouge, I guess you could finesse a nice cut, but why bother, I've got other gouges set up for that.

I put a monster long handle on my Supra Flute, which helps with the leverage.

You will enjoy the smooth sharpening with the balancing set! :2tsup:

Cheers!

Tiger
29th June 2009, 10:20 PM
Great jig, are the measurements, angles critical on this jig and what thickness steel would be appropriate? Guess that 3 mm thick steel is too flimsy for this.

Ed Reiss
30th June 2009, 12:16 AM
...so, are you ready to market it?

Good workup Stu :2tsup:

artme
30th June 2009, 08:45 AM
Schmick looking unit Stu.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: Glad it works so well.