PDA

View Full Version : Primers and Paints

peter byrne
15th September 2003, 04:25 PM
The upper hull of my 34' lapstraked bondwood boat has been repainted with a plastic paint (Solaguard) for the last couple of seasons. I have now resolved to do something about it and get back to using an oil based paint laced with Penetrol (wonderful stuff).

I am not keen on trying to sand back too far. My paint shop man has advised a solution of using a Zinsser oil based primer over the existing paint (lightly sanded), following that with the top coats of enamel. This makes sense to me as my experience with Zinsser has been very good. It sticks like s*** to a blanket.

Before I move on this (it is a lot of work and a lot of paint!) I would be interested to hear from anyone who has had a similar experience, particularly with Zinsser in a marine environment, or has any other ideas.

This is the first question I have asked of this forum. It will be interesting to see if the range of opinion is as varied as that I experience at my local boatyard!

Peter Byrne

Daddles
16th September 2003, 02:06 AM
My concern would be mixing the different types of paint. Always a dodgy move. I'd be sanding back all of the Solarguard and then putting on your fancy goop.

But what would I know?

It's a big boat. It's probably a very pretty boat. Do you really want to do a half arsed job to save sanding a bit of paint?

Cheers
Richard

peter byrne
16th September 2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by doorstop
1st: Never heard of "Zinsser", please enlighten me.

Zinsser is a range of primers from USA. They have a good reputation for sticking to just about any surface, including vinyl or fibreglass. And they are fast dryers. I have used Zinsser around the house for ten years or more. There is an unformative website.

Since posting the message I managed to grab my brains and email Zinsser in USA, asking advice. They recommended against my idea.

2nd: I don't believe you have a 34' clinker boat at all, you will have to prove it by posting a picture or three. ;)

The upper hull is actually lapstraked 9mm (3/8") ply, about 200mm wide. There is a 40mm overlap on each stringer. While this was a good method of getting a nice hull shape, it has also provided a very nice location for dampness to do its business from the inside. Thankfully the fundamental timbers are substantial and there is always plenty of wood left for repairs.

I am short on kit to post a snap, but will in time - when I have completed the program of improvement (only one more week on the slip in December).

The boat was made by Pierce, in Fremantle or Claremont (WA) in the late sixties. It has been through a few topside mods. It has its original Perkins T6354 turbo which is more than adequate. A great family boat, a bit homely yet, the grandchildren love it because there is so much room to climb about on and they do not get barked at for having grubby feet or making any kind of mess.

4th: When "Violet" hits the water she will be wearing the appropriate number of coats of "Aquacote" from Boatcraft Pacific.

Noted!