PDA

View Full Version : Refered model boat question... link to another thread

Wild Dingo
19th August 2007, 01:20 PM
Gidday fellas
Look a fellow forumite named Tony (rgum) posted a thread down in "nothing to do with woodwork" before he gave me a chance to tell him were to post it... so Im going to first give you a taste

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=53458

Okay now I have your FULL attention...

His other half wants him to put it up for auction on ebay but he has no idea of its worth... no point in saying "its what its worth what someone will pay" you need a starting point for selling something like this... so his thread is here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=54696)

Ive directed him to contact Darren (modelshipwright) who I know is right into these things to give him a hand and so I think hes on the right track... but any help you can offer him he would appreciate... and I KNOW yous mob are a bloody helpful mob so belly up to the bar and give a new mate a hand eh! :2tsup:

Cheers

Damn {img ] [ /img} thing didnt work! anyways here it is

rgum
19th August 2007, 02:48 PM
Your a star Dingo. I'm a dill. :C

Some details....Thus far. More to come.

Height......on her stand 96omm.

Width.......across her deck 22o mm.

Length......1.6m

Weight......approx 4 kg.

I'm still making enquiries as to where she was aquired, when and from whom. SWMBO is not well. I dare not bug her now. God help me. :C
Been waiting on her and young son. I'm happy to. :U

Trying to see if she's a pedigree with a birth cert :U . The boat I mean.

All solid timber....except....not too sure ....the deck. Looks like ply.
Been looking at some end grains with a torch.

Her hull is ribbed just like a norm boat.
Nothing to see inside. Construction and some glue lines.
Deck hatch comes out to see this.

Sails will come down.
Her string ropes have been knotted just like a ship would have them.
The ropes have authentic looking, wooden block winches.
She has two fence fittings that need to be glued bk into place. Easy.
She has full surround, detailed side, hand rails.

She has....wait for it.....Waaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit......24....yep......24 cannons.....A SIDE!!!!!!! All with hatch lids. Non moving.
I reckon she's ancient destroyer.
These cannons are plastic coated in a gold speckle paint. They look ancient too.

She has decorative fittings, like lavish baroque bay windows around the captains qrters. Captain even has a little , grilled window to view from the rear.

Pilots wheel rotates a little. Gold wheel.
Two large anchors. Might use'em to go fishing in Portland.....:no:

Dingo...I'll get more info....trying. :U

Hopefully Ding moved the pics....silly me. :C
Hope you like it.
Cheers all Tony.

Wild Dingo
19th August 2007, 03:18 PM
Cheers Tony thats the sort of info people will need

Will do the pics later this arvo... out to the log pile now! :2tsup:

Well if the rain stays gone we will :roll:

Cheers

TK1
20th August 2007, 10:03 AM
Hi Tony & Shane,

Thanks for the referral Dingo, I hadn't been here recently :rolleyes: but got the PM. Will make contact with Tony.

Will have a better look at the pics and info, model ships are one of those things that can be worth very little or quite a lot. Depends on who/when built (eg comparing a well-built model from someone who knows what they're doing, to one of those ugly 'models' made in China and bought for $50 in a souvenier shop); whether it's based on a real ship or not; quality of parts and construction, etc, etc.

As we're both in Melbourne I may be able to get around for a look, or we can see what we can do with photos.

Always happy to help!

Regards,
Darren

Wild Dingo
20th August 2007, 05:20 PM
No worries Darren... thought you might like it :;
As I said to Tony I had a very strong feeling that the providence would make a lot of difference (based on the FILs couple of ancient wooden boat models worth too much to even let my mind think about :o ) So as I gave him as much info as I could (read questions!!) and sent him to our resident forum model shipwright bloke for some actual expertize! :2tsup:

Have you made a start on Fame yet?... am hanging out to see how you get on with her :2tsup:

Heres the other pics he posted down in the "nothing to do with whatever" thread.. tut tut tut Toe Nee!! :q

Cheers!