PDA

View Full Version : Scotland's One Armed Turner

Zedster
19th August 2007, 06:52 PM
G'day folk's

Haven't posted in ages, but I keep a regular eye on who is doing what and when.

So here is my latest piece for you to critique, it's made of English (8astards) Oak and features red deer hide lacing across 2 cracks that where in the timber.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r13/ctbphotos/oakbowl_edited-1.jpg

macca2
19th August 2007, 06:56 PM
Very nice. What does the underside look like.
Cheers
Macca

Wayne Blanch
19th August 2007, 10:41 PM
Zedster,
Love the form and the laces are a great idea:2tsup: . What finish did you use?

BANNED
19th August 2007, 11:29 PM
Hi Zedster,
An interesting concept you got there. I've tried lots of things to hide and or to make timber cracks as an added feature, but I admit, never thought of that! The difference will be, in my case, I will be using kangaroo skin.
:2tsup:
Cheers
GV

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th August 2007, 11:34 PM
There's some nice figure in that Oak, better than the bland stuff I'm used to seeing! What are the dimensions?

It's a right PITA trying to keep the edges nice'n'crisp on winged forms, isn't it? I know that using sacrificial pieces on the sides makes it easier, but I've found that when I seperate I still lose the small parts of the corners as often as not. [sigh] This isn't meant to be a criticism, BTW, I'm a little in awe of people who can turn "perfect" winged forms. (Although I suspect a lot of that perfection is because they have BIG linishers to do a clean up. :wink: )

ss_11000
20th August 2007, 12:30 AM
nice work..the deer hide looks pretty cool:2tsup:

i like the finish you have used too...that piece suits the non shiny finish IMO:)

rodent
20th August 2007, 05:35 AM
Now I've seen fillers ,wire in iron ,copper ,silver even zippers used to fill in or highlight cracks to make them features or not . But this is new to me and shows just how imaginative (sometimes crazy or not) we turners are . Oh I like it by the way it's almost rustic but more , mmmn now you've got me thinking ( a danger in it's own right ) , I don't have any roo skins around ( here kitty ,kitty ) only joking but the potential is staggering, when you really think about it .

Sebastiaan56
20th August 2007, 07:05 AM
Very nice Zedster, in an echo of Skew's comments I admire the way youve managed the winged for, I cracked every one Ive tried at the corners,

Sebastiaan

Zedster
20th August 2007, 05:41 PM
Very many thanks to all who have commented on my square oak bowl,

in order to answer the questions posed I will give a quick run down about the piece,
the oak was in a half seasoned state, I preffer working with oak this way as the figuring tends to shrink once turned leaving a rustic texture to an otherwise very smooth piece of wood,
Turned at a very high speed and using a sharp chisel I was able to get away with this one in not getting to many chips on the edges, however I did finish the edges with a wee plane, and sanded through the grits to 1200, sanding sealer 50/50 with cellulose thinners final finish a coat of soft wax polished at 1500rpm.
The cracks where widened on the bansaw before being laced with deer hide.
Dims of the piece are 10 x 3 inches.

Many thanks once again.

Chris