PDA

View Full Version : Digmal Camera woes and what to get to replace it

Wild Dingo
20th August 2007, 12:49 AM
So presently I use a Fuji S3500 digmal camera... I have a bung sony camcorder thats fried itself somehow... anyway since thats dead as a dodo Ive been using the Fugi but now after some time trying to work out what the hells wrong with the sodding thing... blurred pictures unless the flash is on which wont go on and flash if its bright so for daylight shots the damned camera blurrs and often takes up to 10 shots before you get a half decent clear one

So now the missus has been invited by her mum and sis for a weeks hols in Singypore for a belated birdday pressy

and I was wondering if anyone knew of what she should pic up for me while there... some things I need... 1) not a small bodied thing my sis in law has one of the fancy shmansy tiny ones that does everything but fart for her and its just way too small for me to see let alone use the buttons... so its got to have a bit of body... 2) has to be almost shakeproof!... I dont get the jitters dts or otherwise shake so the camera must have some sort of mechanism to reduce camera shake... 3) has to take GOOD clear movies with sound... 4) must take a great picture... 5) changable shutter speed... Im sick of either having to take multiple shots or it not being fast enough between the finger clicking the damned button and the friggin shutter going off... digitals Ive found are notoriously slow at that

Would like a proper waterproof case for it for taking shots while sailing fishing etc

Anyway ideas and thoughts encouraged and appreciated :2tsup:
Cheers

woodbe
20th August 2007, 08:37 AM
You didn't mention a budget!

Have a look here http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp

You can select features you want, and the webpage shows you cameras with those features.

Both Olympus and Pentax offer waterproof cameras that look like normal cameras.

woodbe.

Ianab
20th August 2007, 09:43 AM
Again.. whats your budget?

I've just got one these babys :)

http://www.sony.co.nz/cybershot/product/by-series/h-series/dsch7b.jsp

Very sweet, the 15x optical zoom actually works, and the image stabiliser even lets you use it to get decent pictures. Full auto or manual on all settings, even focus. Movie recording is pretty good and low light shooting is good too.

A proper DSLR would have been nicer, but buying one of those and a couple of good lenses would have hurt the pocket pretty bad :-

For your water shots I would look for a 2nd cheapy digital with a proper waterproof case.

Cheers

Ian

dennford
20th August 2007, 10:08 AM
There are a lot of good cameras out there these days and you don't have to pay big dollars to get a half decent one.

I wont recomend any particular one but I would stick to the names Canon, Olympus, Nikon or Panasonic.

If or when you have narrowed it down to a few go to a site called "Steves digicams" he does by the best and most comprehensive reviews you would ever hope for.

Denn

wheelinround
20th August 2007, 10:50 AM
Dingo I believe Orchard rd Singapore http://www.marimari.com/cOnTENT/singapore/shopping/orchad_road/orchad.html is main shopping district there, freind bought my SLR Canon there back in 90's.

I have done a search (suggest same) and when checking out things we have here, such as camera's, they have the latest and greatest that we wont see for another 6 months or more.

So choosing a camera model her you may not be able to get there or if its still in stock then at very reduced price.

Panasonic has the best anti shake, look for appature and don't forget large memory chip idiots till put baby size ones in the camera's.

Grunt
20th August 2007, 12:31 PM
Any of the highly recommended cameras would be excellent.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/default.asp?view=rating

dennford
20th August 2007, 02:56 PM
forgot to give you a link

http://www.steves-digicams.com/default.htm

Denn

Peter57
20th August 2007, 10:14 PM
Make sure you check the Aussie prices first. It's not always a bargain in Singapore (or Hong Kong either). The prices in OZ are closer to the O/S prices these days. But with a bit of good bargaining you can still save a few dollars.

Colin Howkins
20th August 2007, 11:00 PM
On dry land. Canon, Olympus, Nikon all good. Currently driving A Canon 40D very good. Have used Canon for the last 40 or so years.

In the boat Nikonos -have a look at the Nikon Website. Used to use one of tese in my diving days. They were the only truly waterproof camera

Happy Snapping
Colin Howkins
Graceville Qld

woodbe
20th August 2007, 11:27 PM
Nikonos was a great film camera, but sadly it hasn't made the switch to digital. If you're keen, you can put your Canon in an underwater housing.

I'm very impressed that you have a Canon 40D, it's a new model that was only announced today! http://www.dpreview.com/news/0708/07082010canoneos40d.asp

woodbe.

hansp77
20th August 2007, 11:30 PM
Shane, not long ago we got my partner the new(ish) waterproof pentax one the W20 (http://www.pentax.com.au/pentax/index.cfm?pageID=2&modelID=16&).

It is a little beauty. Fantastic photos, waterproof, dustproof, video recording, sound recording, etc, etc..
Don't know about camera shake, it has 'blur reduction' but I don't know what that does.
If camera-shake is a real problem for you you might consider getting a good light little monopod, I have one of these (http://www.camerastore.com.au/ProShop/Manfrotto+679B+MonoPod-details.htm) for my SLR's and they are fantastic.

The Pentax W20 is smallish, but even for my big hands is not too small, and is nice and light...
can't say enough good stuff about it. It has really impressed me.
The only obvious negative for me is that even though it is waterproof- the damn thing doesn't float. So we have one of those cork ball keyring things on it for when out on the boat. Works a treat.

Apparantly the waterproof Olympus is good too, but frankly I just don't like the looks of it, have never liked Olympus' anyway, and have always been happy with pentax.

Good luck.
I am currently looking at upgrading my Nikon gear to finally get a digital SLR to suit all my old lenses. Looking at the D80.

Hans.

P.S. you really should head down to a camera shop to try out a few of these things, get them in your hands, check out the software and usablility. For example the size thing. The W20 is big enough for me, and I too hate those dinky little credit card phones, but maybe you want something even bigger.

Studley 2436
22nd August 2007, 11:26 AM
In pro circles Canon is getting a pretty bad name. Basically the talk is it is a marketing company that fails to come through with the engineering.

The 40D is part of a series that has been released and re released time and time again. Every one in the series has been criticized. Then Canon comes up with a new one and says buy this it will solve your problems.

Nikon on the other hand has been criticised for being behind the game with features etc, however every camera they come out with works as stated. So get a Nikon. They make an entry DSLR called the D40 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/471716-REG/Nikon_25420_D40_SLR_Digital_Camera.html) the link gets you to B&H photo in New York so you can see the price they will do there. It comes with a proper lens too. Should you have to have shake reduction look for a lens with VR in the name for Vibration Reduction.

I was at a seminar once when one of Australia's top wedding photographers started to carry on about how he knows the limits of his gear and so he doesn't shoot at with his zooms as wide as they can go. Now we are talking 2 and 3 thousand dollar lenses on a $5000 camera and he is saying they don't work. He was told you can fix that just get a Nikon. Then he remembered how much Canon pay him so we had the usual tete a tete. Fact remains that Canon's cameras don't work that well. I've seen the tests.

Studley

woodbe
22nd August 2007, 01:25 PM
Surprised at you Studley. :)

I always thought that Photographers, not cameras made pictures.

Anytime I see Pro photographers in action, well over half seem to be using Canon. If what you say is correct, Canon must be giving away an awful lot of kit.

I think we mere mortals can rest assured that the limitations are with the nut behind the viewfinder, whatever Canon or Nikon make. They're both excellent systems, and whichever brand you look at, there has been incremental improvements over the course of last few years as the model evolves. In the Canon 40D's case, I think that stretches back over 6 models to the D30 in 2000. It's just like cars in a lot of ways, engines, brakes, roadholding etc are always being improved to entice buyers to put their cash down.

Every camera has limitations, and can be 'critisised' for them, but the reality is that the digital camera market is a large and booming industry. You don't get to be one of the top players with a rubbish product.

That's why we're not all driving Ladas...

woodbe.

Wild Dingo
22nd August 2007, 03:27 PM
Great responses thanks fellas!
Will check those sites and try to fathom it all out :2tsup:

Basically... Im sick of this camera the Fuji one I mentioned up there... I take a fair amount of photos and as Im just now starting to get out on the water Id like to take more action type shots over the bow up in the riggin while sailing that sort of thing... and I KNOW this peice of shyte wont do it hell it wont even take a clear picture on a flamin tripod!!

But... to clarify... Im having to change careers yet again and this is one area Im really quite interested in... funnily enough some of my best shots were taken years ago on a Minolta SLR and Im talking YEARS ago!... since Ive started getting back into it and been using digitals Im finding theyre simply crap comparitively photo quality etc is not up to scratch... however so far Ive not spent more than 500 on a digital as Ive wanted to get the swing of the things before I spent more than that on a camera.

So to basics... budget around $1000 she reckons... definantly not over $1500 with everything I need to get a leg in...

It will need to be a SLR type since I enjoy using different lenses filters and such which I havent been able to with the ones Ive had so far

Underwater is simply due to the sailing photos I want to do... not that Im planning on dropping it in the drink of doing a great deal of under water stuff just so that the camera lasts in that wet environment and to have the ability to do so if I choose or have need and see opportunity.

It needs to have a body and buttons that are usable by humans not gnats and a viewer that one can see out of without squinting to see anything...

Id also like to be able to attach it to my SILs telescope to take pics of some of the things out in the deep far away lands... this I know will require a special adapter for the joinup... but the camera must be able to slow down enough to take a series of photos as the nebula moves so you get the quality shots of the whole amazing thing

Id also like to be able to take faster shots as in sports type action shots

Maybe Im bein a tad hopefull here but well thats what I wants... so help hints and knowledge are grand things

Cheers!!:2tsup:

woodbe
22nd August 2007, 04:57 PM
Well, you're being hopeful. :)

Studley's suggestion is a good one. (Nikon D40) It's a good camera, and comes with a lens within your price range. Here's a local online seller's page for it: http://www.dirtcheapcameras.com.au/store/product.asp?idProduct=1454 (I've never used this mob so buyer beware)

If you search for it on dpreview etc, you'll get the dirt on how good it might be for your uses. If you want to take it someplace wet, you are going to need an underwater housing or something like that, it isn't waterproof...

woodbe.

Studley 2436
23rd August 2007, 01:20 AM
Just had a neckfull of Canon marketing Woodbe. Either way the talk is of an engineering company verses a marketing company. That's the word in the industry.

Dingo have a look at the D40 it goes at 2.5 frames/second makes your budget, shutter goes to 1/4000 and it has a bulb function for those long exposures too.

Weatherproofing is something the real expensive pro cameras will have but you will lose some of that in the price range you are in. There are people who make waterproof housings for all DSLR's so you can just get one of those if you feel you need it.

The neat thing about getting a DSLR is you can get the glass to go with it and then just upgrade the camera in the future as finances allow should you desire. No need to buy new lenses.

Studley

bitingmidge
23rd August 2007, 08:24 AM
Nikon D40.

Sailing pics don't necessarily mean a waterproof housing, just care to keep salt, water and sand away as much as possible, and expect a shorter body life.

Cheers,

P

Nikon D80 - 200mm lens
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/172/371845058_fef5020c5c_m.jpg