PDA

View Full Version : Drill Press Vibration Help

Ausworkshop
20th August 2007, 11:19 PM
I have a heavy duty drill press from herless, (was left over when a place I worked for went broke so I snaped it up for a bargain)

I've been noticing a fair bit of vibration in the quill bearing, I think it just needs tightening but havent managed to work out how to get it all apart.:?

I assume its pretty much the same as others, I have an instruction manual with exploded drawing but doesn't help much, just says to tighten bearing with no explanation of how to.

Can anyone give me any advice please?
There doesn't seem to be a circlip or anything, Ive taken the chuck out and lowered the quill fully looking for a slotted hole for the wedge like the way to remove the chuck but I just can't get to the bearings.

martink
20th August 2007, 11:28 PM
I have a heavy duty drill press from herless, (was left over when a place I worked for went broke so I snaped it up for a bargain)

I've been noticing a fair bit of vibration in the quill bearing, I think it just needs tightening but havent managed to work out how to get it all apart.:?

I assume its pretty much the same as others, I have an instruction manual with exploded drawing but doesn't help much, just says to tighten bearing with no explanation of how to.

Can anyone give me any advice please?
There doesn't seem to be a circlip or anything, Ive taken the chuck out and lowered the quill fully looking for a slotted hole for the wedge like the way to remove the chuck but I just can't get to the bearings.

Yep, sounds like the bearing, you might need some disassembly to get to the bearing though.

Just checked with my brother (fitter machinist) and he said that most of the older machine bearings are fitted with an 'interference' fit. In which case you will need to knock it off with a bit of heat (from a low temp blow torch) and a drift (a piece of wooden dowl hit with a hammer).

Once you have the bearing off, take it to repco or some such to see if they have something that fits. If all fails, then give SKF a call they will be able to help you out.

Ciao,

M.

Ausworkshop
20th August 2007, 11:37 PM
I dont have a blow torch and i'm still not to sure where to start belting around. I might just have to put up with the shudder for now. I think its always done it since it was new. i was hoping I could just tighten something up or something??:?

martink
20th August 2007, 11:43 PM
I dont have a blow torch and i'm still not to sure where to start belting around. I might just have to put up with the shudder for now. I think its always done it since it was new. i was hoping I could just tighten something up or something??:?

I've used a kitchen blowtorch (think it's original use was to brown the top of soufflés or something) but it works damn well for more important things like this. Then you get your dowel out and start hitting make sure it's against the inner sleve of the bearing that attaches to the shaft.

Hope this helps,

Ciao,

M.

Ausworkshop
21st August 2007, 12:31 AM
So do I wind the quill all the way down, then put the dowel down the hole through the center of the top drive belt wheel head?

Do I hit down until the quill falls out?
Or do I hit up through where the chuck came out?

Greg Q
21st August 2007, 10:09 AM
If I might chime in here...

It might be possible to get a manual from someone on the forum...anything with an exploded parts diagram. A diagram will give enough clues about the proper disassembly steps.

How do you know its the bearing? Have you run the motor without belts to eliminate it as a source of machine vibration? Have you then tried a new belt? (Often old belts, especially old Chinese belts can be the problem). The pulleys could be another source of vibration, a definite possibility given the sometimes indifferent castings and QC in these machines. (I finally traced a problem in one of my machines to a pulley machined off centre. About 5mm off centre, as it turned out. It may have been painted with lead paint too:rolleyes: .)

Finally, might I suggest that when you go bearing shopping that you go directly to a reputable industrial bearing supplier like CBC Bearings. A quality European bearing from SKF or FAG or Timken will often be less from them than a crap bearing from someone else. If not busy my local outlet will answer all of my stupid questions and they also sell a range of industrial concoctions that I didn't know that I needed. No affiliation.

DJ’s Timber
21st August 2007, 11:16 AM
So do I wind the quill all the way down, then put the dowel down the hole through the center of the top drive belt wheel head?

Do I hit down until the quill falls out?
Or do I hit up through where the chuck came out?

To remove the quill, you need to remove the handle and tension spring and then slide out the shaft which will then allow the quill to drop out once the pulley has been removed.

Where abouts in F/tree Gully are you? I often pass thru and could show you.