PDA

View Full Version : dust extraction 2hp bag/fan type

snappperhead
16th September 2003, 07:46 PM
Hello everyone,

i need to invest in some dust extraction for my mitre saw and perhaps router. I have seen the 2hp bag/fan types (carbatec ones etc) and was wondering if they are any good. I know mitre saws and routers are notoriously hard to control when it comes to dust but I need to seriously think about it because i use alot of mdf and the whole carconogenic think spins me out a little.

i plan to be buying some other machinary in the near future, how well do these extractors work when they are hooked up to more than one piece of machinary?

I also note that most of the outlets fom the extractors are 4 inch, how do you reduce the hoses to fit the small housings of routers/ mitre saws/ belt sanders etc?

i have just re read the whole cyclone arugment and dont fancy all that metalwork and ducting etc so im going to rule that one out at this stage. any help would be much appreciated. thanks

kenmil
16th September 2003, 11:01 PM
They work fine, and the query about working on more than one piece of machinery is redundant - how many machines can you use at the one time ? You simply install shut-offs called blast gates at each machine, and only switch on the machine you are using at the time. Mitre saws are very difficult to trap dust from, but I doubt you are cutting much MDF with that anyway. A search here will reveal a couple of solutions to part of the mitre saw problem.
As for routers, a good router table with a 4" dust port in the back will just about suck the bit out of its collet. You don't need to (and shouldn't) reduce down to match the router.

kenmil
16th September 2003, 11:04 PM
Here is my router table during construction with dust port showing.

kenmil
16th September 2003, 11:08 PM
For the mitre saw, I built a box-like enclosure around the rear, and installed a dust port as shown. By no means an original idea on my part, by the way.

snappperhead
17th September 2003, 01:51 AM
excellent pics mate, which brand do you use and how much did it set you back? how often do you maintain it?

Termite
17th September 2003, 09:57 AM
Carbatec have 2hp units on special this month for $299.00. Bugger, I've just bought one from Hare & Forbes for $329.00 and I thought that was cheap. Go for it.
Regards
Termite:(

Sturdee
17th September 2003, 05:34 PM
I made the same setup as Ken did for the mitre saw except that the box sides come further into the shop (removable for maintenance to the saw) to catch the dust when I cut at angles.

It catches most of the dust and the rest falls into the box and is easily swept into the duct at the end of the day.

Peter.

kenmil
17th September 2003, 05:45 PM
I am using a Jet Dust Collector. Somewhat more expensive ($600)than some of the Carbatec models, but they all do the job, by and large. As for maintenance, I empty the bags and give them a good beating outdoors about every two weeks. Nothing else required yet.

Ruffy
19th September 2003, 08:52 PM
Was considering the FM 300 from Timbecon as it now comes standard with the "Needle Felt Filter Bags" but it is a bit more at $369.00 plus freight.

Any comments??????? especially regarding the filter bags

:confused:

snappperhead
19th September 2003, 10:01 PM
how do you reduc the hose from the smaller ones on mitre saws belt sanders tc to fit 4''? is it justr a matter of using a clip or something or can you buy reducing pipe or something. thanks fellas

DPB
19th September 2003, 10:14 PM
You can buy reduction fittings from Carba-Tech - but don't if you can avoid it. Reducing the diameter of the hose dramatically decreases the affectiveness of your dust extractor.

The 4" hose will work well for both a mitre saw and sander. See Sturdee's post elsewhere in the BB. He shows his mitre saw with a large collection box behind the saw. Forget about connecting it to the 2" hose connection outlet on your saw. A similar collection "scoop" can be designed for a belt sander. As long as the suction is strong enough, and it should be if you don't reduce it down, you will find that a high proportion of the airborne dust will flow into the scoop. :)

cliff cook
20th September 2003, 12:04 AM
G`day guys
I`ve built a little frame at the end of the belt sander and bolted a piece of pvc downpipe connector to it (the one that goes from round to square) the 4" pipe from the dust extractor fits over the round part (a big pipe clamp might be nesisary) .Works like a dream.
As for the mitre saw i use a vacume cleaner attached to the saws built in port but it has to be a powerful vac. I use an industrial strength one and it gets about 85-90 % of the dust(Very dry Jarrah)
cooky

Sturdee
20th September 2003, 01:55 PM
With my mitre saw set up I still have a 3" hose connected to the saw outlet which is only 40mm as well as the 4" into the box. This hose connects into the main suction line of the box. Rather than purchase a connector I made one from some ofcuts of chipboard to slip between the hose and saw. This stops the dust being sprayed high into the air .

Again to connect the belt sander I made a box to catch the dust from the front of the sander.

Now if only I could connect the scrollsaw.

Peter