PDA

View Full Version : Disabled into sport

wheelinround
21st August 2007, 11:07 AM
Just recieved this if your into sport

TITLE: Finland disability sport
PORTFOLIO: Communications, Information Technology and the Arts
URL: http://www.ausport.gov.au/fulltext/2007/ascmedia/07.08.21.asp
SNIPPET: Tuesday, 21 August 2007. `Australian and Finland have a very rich sporting culture and share many of the same philosophies and approaches to disability sport. The Disability Sport Program's Sports CONNECT project assists 25 sports with disability sport issues and inclusive practices, many of which are now registered with the Human Rights and Equal Opportunities Commission.

pawnhead
21st August 2007, 11:26 AM
It will be interesting to see what becomes of this Blade Runner (http://www.mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx?articleid=312185&area=/breaking_news/breaking_news__sport/) dude. Personally I think he shouldn't be allowed to compete. If his times get faster than able bodied sprinters, then it will undoubtedly be called fowl, and able bodied runners will be wanting their own powerisers (http://www.originalpoweriser.co.uk/).
Vids (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=poweriser&search=Search)

wheelinround
21st August 2007, 05:54 PM
I hadn't heard he got in even i think its unfair as he is using the devices for leverage and spring.

echnidna
21st August 2007, 09:14 PM
Them fellers that play wheelchair basketball sure aint wusses,

they'd leave a lot of rugby players fer dead

wheelinround
22nd August 2007, 09:08 AM
Them fellers that play wheelchair basketball sure aint wusses,

they'd leave a lot of rugby players fer dead

Once heard of a wheelchair rugby team think from Wales or UK

Wild Dingo
22nd August 2007, 02:11 PM
Once helped out at a "special olympics" Best damned time Ive ever had bar none!! :2tsup:

Having 8 kids into different sports from athletics to swimming to soccer and hockey I often help out their sporting days... and the amount of bitchiness anger angst abuse and general negativity is increadible! Little Athletics was the worst of all the sports weve been involved in the amount of interferance favoratism and nepotism is increadible in athletics to the detriment of the kids and the lessening of the sport as a whole... think young athletes that consistantly beat the other team members and state champions then think the kid isnt selected EVEN THOUGH its on record that the kid beats the selected kid hands down... even winning against the "chosen" one at the selection races!... think about how much that hurts the kid that has dreams aspirations and the goal of being an olympian representing their country their family and themselves... disgusting mob of mongrels in our view... actually I could tell you a story about a particular swimming club thats almost as bad as the athletics mobs.

BUT... the special olympics I saw none of that... absolutely NONE! PERIOD FULLSTOP NARDA!! it was the most amazing happy joyous fun day for everyone :2tsup:

The young girl that stopped less than a meter from the finish line when she was in front by some distance who walked back to help her friend who was struggling was cheered as enthusiastically as the girl who took her place on the dias... the young downs syndrome boy who ran his heart out to come long last was hugged cheered and carried of the field by his running mates... the wheelchair races were a hoot with many a spill and laugh between the competitors... talk about hard ball damned if Id play among them fellas!!... the determination of the young lower limb amputee to get over the high jump the effort and comeraderie of the other competitors to gee him along so he got there... the elder events were just as good... I mean these people are absolute champions who cared cheers supported each other NO MATTER where in the field they ended up the cheer would come... for the effort the genuine determination and the fun... the amount of care friendship courtesy and genuine love they have and so willingly share is astounding!

Its a shame we so called "normal" people in our endeavors couldnt emulate them as we go on the field... what a fine thing that would be!

Iain
25th August 2007, 09:03 AM
We have a disabled girl at work who came 2nd in the national Boccia event last month, however, we have a problem with an intellectually disabled male who swims quite well but as soon as he sees food he stops and gets out to get some.
Being a big violent bugger he is hard to stop.
Can almost see the headlines 'Appeal in process as oppostion team light BBQ':D :D
That is the lighter side of events, but I have also seen the wheelchair basketball players and I certainly would not want to get in their way.
Speaking of challenges, anyone been to Box Hill Mall at lunchtime, that really is a challenge, so many high speed electric scooters who have no regard for the 'able bodied' and just plough through you, that makes me bloody angry, no regard for anyone except themselves:((
Most are public servants from nearby buildings.