ptc
21st August 2007, 11:15 AM
I have been thinking of getting the new I mac
Fed up with Microsoft.
your help
For and against would be very welcome

Glenn_M
21st August 2007, 01:41 PM
What's it to be used for? Have you considered Linux?

Cheers,
Glenn

ptc
21st August 2007, 02:02 PM
Glenn.
just normal home use.
No to linux.
I want a new computer.
and thought to look at Imac.

zenwood
21st August 2007, 03:04 PM
I thought the articles in the recent PC Authority magazine (issue 117, 2007) gave a pretty good summary of the pros and cons of each platform.

You might also be interested in this thread (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=50390).

Stuart
21st August 2007, 03:19 PM
Get the iMac.

If you persist, but decide you really don't like OSX, then you can always use bootcamp (free from Apple) to boot the machine as a Windows box. (This is not an emulation or anything - it is the real deal).

Then you have Apple hardware, and Windows.

If you only want the occasional Windows program, and are happy with the rest of OSX, then get Parallels, which (speaking really simply) allows you to use windows programs while running the mac OS.

The new iMacs are all polished Aluminium - very cool. (They look like my MacBook Pro) Hope the new iPod has the same scheme :D

ptc
21st August 2007, 04:25 PM
Zenwood
Thanks for the thread.
I missed it some how.

Master Splinter
22nd August 2007, 02:06 PM
Well, if you buy a Mac, it'll cost you more. But it doesn't have the Windows tax or all the nasty overheads (viruses) that come with it - and you avoid the steaming pile known as Vista.

(and technically speaking, you'll be using a Linux-alike with the Mac. Macs use the BSD (Berkeley Standard Distribution) flavour of Unix under their shiny interface, which is why they just work)

ptc
22nd August 2007, 02:55 PM
It will be an Imac.
Just have to get Permission !!!!!`

woodbe
22nd August 2007, 05:00 PM
You have my permission. Go ahead and get one with all the bits. :)

woodbe.

echnidna
22nd August 2007, 05:08 PM
you wanna treadle air compressor next??? :D

ptc
23rd August 2007, 01:07 PM
Its not that easy !

MajorPanic
23rd August 2007, 10:20 PM
ptc,

I too am looking to change to a Mac after using MS stuff since DOS 4. something.

I got to play with an iMac 3.2Ghz with 3GB of ram on a PhotoShop course recently & was REALLY impressed :cool: :2tsup:

This is what I'll probably end up getting as I couldn't justify the $15K for a multi quad-core Mac Pro with 16GB of ram.... which I also got to play with at a digital photo lab, talk about fast!! :o

hansp77
23rd August 2007, 10:42 PM
like preaching to the converted ptc,
get that mac,
I doubt very very much that you will ever look back.
sure it costs a bit more (though considering a lot of things there are some strong arguments against this assumption) but you are getting a top of the line machine, and IMO a first class user-experience.

If someone gave me a top of the line PC- I would still fork out for a Mac.

Happy shopping- (btw, if you have a student in the family you can get the computer through them flashing their student card and get the standard student price).

ptc
24th August 2007, 11:14 AM
any one got a spare card.

Geoff Dean
27th August 2007, 09:03 PM
Some good reasons to get a Mac in this thread.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=50390

You wont be sorry, though steer clear of retailer that Zenwood talks of.
I have not heard much good about them, and a lot of bad stuff.

PenTurner
14th September 2007, 04:55 PM
Imac excellent to do graphics stuff, however everything Imac has a high price tag, Amos:)

ptc
15th September 2007, 06:24 PM
Still working on getting the Ok !

Baz
16th September 2007, 12:06 PM
I am going to join the apple gang, sick and tired of taking my machine to the repair man. Current problem is it nows takes longer to load because some update has affected the programme, the fix is to wipe the hard drive and start over again, next crash and it's goodbye.
Cheers
Barry

ptc
2nd October 2007, 10:37 PM
Got permission.
Had to stop smoking first (2 weeks without one )
will let you know how it goes.

ptc
4th October 2007, 12:16 PM
It's on its way !!

munruben
4th October 2007, 12:32 PM
Congratulations. let us know how it goes.:2tsup:

ptc
4th October 2007, 06:11 PM
It left Hobart this morning.
Might be here tomorrow.
Then the fun starts
Transfering stuff from old one.

ptc
6th October 2007, 09:15 AM
The fun did start.
Tnt picked it up on thusrday morning. left it in ulverston and delivery was for Monday
Exspresss!! 5 days for 5 hour drive Joke.
got a mate to pick it up for me.
It"s beautiful, so easy on the eye.
Now help wanted have a usb 1gb nano drive
how can i get my favorites on to it from ie xp sp2 to put in mac

zenwood
6th October 2007, 09:48 AM
By 1gb nano drive, I assume you mean one of those chewing-gum size memory sticks ('flash drive')?

If so, it should be transparently interoperable between the PC and the Mac.

Plug the drive into your PC, drag and drop all your stuff onto it. Unplug your drive from the PC, then plug it into your gleaming new iMac, then drag and drop the stuff off your drive and onto your Mac. USB slots are on the back of the iMac screen, and on the back of the keyboard.

ptc
6th October 2007, 04:41 PM
could not get addresses on it.
also favourites. were no go.
got all my other stuff on it. but can not drop it in the mac ?

zenwood
6th October 2007, 06:47 PM
depends on the software you use. Your address software should have some option ot export them to a file. Same with your favourites--export them from your browser.

can't drop on the mac sounds strange. Can you actually see them there on the memory stick?

Might have to ask the assistance of someone who knows what they're doing.

Greg Q
7th October 2007, 09:52 AM
I have had it with Apple computer. This time I mean it! Really!

iMac G5 25 months old failed, "repaired" after three weeks. Failed again that day, next reapir only took 4 days, they threw in a new keyboard. The new keyboard has two dead keys.

iPod mini failed after 8 months, no economical repair.

iPod 20G battery now has battery life measured in minutes. No economical repair.

Now, after being again seduced by the slick design and the promise of a seamless digital life we bought a second iMac...Sooo cool, does everything just great, very happy. Now, six weeks old, it too has failed. Won't boot, won't beep. I have several old pc computers that are obsolete but still work-I've never had a hardware failure in 25 years except with Apple, and I am disappointed in them, and myself for again falling for their story.

When these things are good, they are very very good, but when they are bad...

ptc
8th October 2007, 01:11 PM
now you have got me worried

Baz
11th October 2007, 08:07 PM
Hey PTC how's the new Apple going? Still pondering which way I am going.

Cheers
Barry

Dan
11th October 2007, 08:37 PM
Still pondering which way I am going.

Cheers
Barry
You could give Ubuntu Linux a crack first. Might save you some dollars. Download a cd image from here (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download) or check out some screencasts here. (http://screencasts.ubuntu.com/)

Heaps of help in the forum. (http://http://ubuntuforums.org/)

ptc
12th October 2007, 09:42 AM
Barry.getting there gradually.
trouble is still thinking its a pc.
its a learning curve.the phone support is very good.
if you live near a supplier they give tuition for free. i'm 5 hour drive.! so thats out.
its a great m/c

Baz
13th October 2007, 09:43 PM
Thanks Dan and PTC.
Cheers
Barry

Greg Q
14th October 2007, 06:31 PM
After our dramas last week I spoke with Apple support. I waited about four minutes to talk to a live person who got us going again in five minutes. We got the computer (New iMac duo core) to boot again once in five or ten tries. The tech guy gave me a key combo to try once I got a boot up, and it has been stable and reliable since then. There is some issue that gets reset by this procedure.

While the computer is on probation with me now, this week at least has been trouble free, a welcome change from my last post on this subject.

ptc
15th October 2007, 09:57 AM
is there a d/u meter for mac,s.
i had one with the p/c.