PDA

View Full Version : Bargain Bin

Black Ned
21st August 2007, 11:41 AM
Have you ever stumbled upon some item, gizmo, thingy, that you picked up for a song and found it to be most useful and wondered how it could be made and sold for the price?

I bought a touch light from the Reject Shop for $2.00
This amazing unit has 3 LED globes and runs on 3 AAA batteries. It has a stick on pad on the back so that it can be placed on any flat surface and illuminate the area in a powerfull light. The LED's drain very little power and run for very long time. You can mount one over your machinery and see exactly what your doing without shadows from roof light. At $2.00 each you can by as many as you need for little expense. If you used rechargeable batteries then your really saving heaps.
No, I don't have shares in the Reject Shop although I have been rejected many times.
Size 67mm diameter x 20mm high Body (25mm overall)

Barry_White
21st August 2007, 01:14 PM
Linden

I will have to check them out.

To go along with your lights you could purchase one of these. http://www.rezap.com.au/ They will recharge standard alkaline batteries as well as rechargable batteries. I have had one for about three years. It will recharge AAA, AA, C, D, 9Volt and the big 6Volt Dolphin torch batteries up to at least five times or more.

I bought mine from Kmart for $50.00 on special. I don't think they stock them now. They can be bought online for $75.00 or you can buy the older model the same as mine for $49.95.

They also have some other interesting products.

johnf888
1st September 2007, 02:03 PM
Linden

To go along with your lights you could purchase one of these. http://www.rezap.com.au/ They will recharge standard alkaline batteries as well as rechargable batteries. I have had one for about three years. It will recharge AAA, AA, C, D, 9Volt and the big 6Volt Dolphin torch batteries up to at least five times or more.

I bought mine from Kmart for $50.00 on special. I don't think they stock them now. They can be bought online for $75.00 or you can buy the older model the same as mine for $49.95.

I was lucky enought to get the latest model off ebay for about $8, plus postage. They were so cheap, I thought maybe they were a failed product and were just being flogged off cheaply (like products in the Reject Shop). But it was so good I bought another one from the same supplier (for about $20, I think). They are very versatile chargers, but don't do the new lithium batteries (which are still too expensive for general use anyway).

Barry_White
1st September 2007, 05:01 PM
I was lucky enought to get the latest model off ebay for about $8, plus postage. They were so cheap, I thought maybe they were a failed product and were just being flogged off cheaply (like products in the Reject Shop). But it was so good I bought another one from the same supplier (for about $20, I think). They are very versatile chargers, but don't do the new lithium batteries (which are still too expensive for general use anyway).

Why would you need to use lithium batteries when you can recharge standard alkaline batteries.

Linden

I bought 3 of those lights. Not bad for $2. Batteries cost more than the lights but I bought 3 packs of 4 AAA's from the reject shop for $4 a pack.

Bit tricky at first opening the lights to put the batteries in and if you use the sticky double sided tape to stick them up it makes changing the batteries hard. I think I will use some sticky backed velcro dots to hold them up.

arose62
1st September 2007, 11:28 PM
I bought some craft magnets, and peeled back some spots of the backing to stick the magnets on.

This way I can reposition the lights, and also remove the back in the future to change batteries.

Cheers,
Andrew

Dean
2nd September 2007, 10:03 AM
Have you ever stumbled upon some item, gizmo, thingy, that you picked up for a song and found it to be most useful and wondered how it could be made and sold for the price?
(25mm overall)

Yeah just the other week... $600 for electrical supplies, $150 for the sparky (a mate), and about 5 good days of digging, running cables and connecting wires. End result... no more extension cords out to the shed, 8 individual power circuits, hardwired lights and no need to fiddle changing cords around all the time. Most wonderful gadget I ever seen :2tsup: :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

:roll:

Other than that, a stack of small rare earth magnets I got off ebay for about 20c each. Perfect for storing tools and accessories on the table saw cabinet, bandsaw frame, drill press frame, router cabinet and more. Bloody handy things! :)

tameriska
18th September 2007, 12:35 AM
Regarding these lights, just bought some of the same at Cheap as chips for $5 for 3, they take 3x AAA batteries (not included)
They seem to light things up pretty well.

ss_11000
18th September 2007, 05:03 PM
mum actually got some of those lights yesterday. the thing is, if you stick em somewhere, how do you change the batteries? i suppose double sided tape would work there.

hansp77
18th September 2007, 09:25 PM
We've got these through-out our boat. They are fantastic. At night when we are staying on it they light up the cabin really well. We payed a bit more than $2 each for them though...
I will have to grab some more of these while they are flogging them off cheap.

Haven't had to change the batteries yet though...

Black Ned
18th September 2007, 09:42 PM
I've installed some with stik-on velcro.
Put one in the kitchen, bedroom, loungeroom - all near the light switch. If the power goes out then have an emergency light. Stops the fumbling around in the dark.

notenoughtoys
18th September 2007, 10:34 PM
Regarding these lights, just bought some of the same at Cheap as chips for $5 for 3, they take 3x AAA batteries (not included)
They seem to light things up pretty well.

I can't find them anywhere??

Any tips??