PDA

View Full Version : CE rated machines

IanA
16th September 2003, 09:53 PM
Can anyone enlighten me as to what is meant by "CE specifications"?

This seems to pop up in catalogues, mainly for high end machines, but I have not seen anything written that sheds any light on the subject.

Even some smaller machines like the CARBA_TEC SBW_3501BCE
carry this labelling. Clearly a higher pricetag specification.

kenmil
16th September 2003, 10:53 PM
I asked the same thing recently, and was advised that it means the product has met the specifications for acceptance in the European Economic Community, or Common Market as it was once called. I don't know that this makes the product any better, but it certainly wouldn't make it worse.;)

DPB
17th September 2003, 11:15 AM
CE standards are amongst the highest in the world. They cover a range of issues including OHS issues, electrical standards, radio-frequency emissions, and ergonomic considerations.

Most of the standards adopted by Australian authorities are identical to the CE standards. When it comes to products sold in Australia, Australian authorities will usually accept documented evidence that these products have received CE certification, as proof that they are compliant with Australian standards.

In some cases, Australian regulations don't require products to meet any standard. However, it is reassuring for the consumer to know that a product is CE certified because this is an indication of design and manufacturing excellence.

Products manufactured outside the European Union that are sold within that market are subjected to stringent testing. Again, if you purchase one of these products it should give you some confidence.
:)

IanA
17th September 2003, 02:21 PM
Thanks Ken and DPB.

From an OH&S perspective this fits in with magnetic switches on the doors etc, which I've noticed in some of the catalogues.

The question as to whether cheaper imported items sourced from China actually comply with Australian standards has been raised before. Where no Australian Standard exists it is reassuring that a machine may comply with another internationally accepted standard.

A quick look at the subject index from Standards Australia shows Australian Standards for all sorts of related items:- electric control equipment, electrical machinery (rotating), electric motors, electromagnetic interference etc etc.

I'm not sure where this leaves me in my search for a bandsaw, but at least I am collecting information that may help me eventually make an informed decision.

Ian

Eastie
17th September 2003, 04:39 PM
Further to the good advice from Don,

As an aside to obtain a CE rating on a piece of equipment/plant there is a cost. Manufacturers generally factor this into their prices along with the conditions/components/construction methods required to achieve the standard. Although CE rated gear is generally better than non-rated, it does not necessarily mean the machine operates better or is more accurate, etc. That aside the safety features required are generally compatible with our workplace OHS laws. As stated above CE rated gear should have cut off switchs for machine guards (i.e. stops the machine if guards are opened/removed), whereas a cheaper model that does not carry a CE rating may not. Australian Standards do cover such issues, but unless called up by law they are advisory. Of course there are advantages for local manufacturers to take heed and comply with them thou.

Mark