PDA

View Full Version : recommendations needed

fraggles
21st August 2007, 01:06 PM
Hi,
I'm a student at Monash Uni in Caulfield and as part of my course I have to construct a prototype of a stool which I have designed...
One of the main components of the stool is a central log which I have obtained from my parents property in Alburly Wodonga.
I'm unsure to the type of timber as it is very old and bleached. At this stage I only have the dimensions which are -
Hight = 690mm
Diameter = 315mm

The dimensions I require for the timber element is
Hight = 437mm
Diameter = 300mm

Could anyone recommend somewhere in Melbourne or the Albury Wododnga area where I could get this log turned down to that size?
And an approximate cost that I should expect get this done.

Any help would be great!
Thanks!:)

Studley 2436
21st August 2007, 01:39 PM
Reckon one of the woodies here might help you if you ask nicely. 300 diameter isn't so big some one will have a lathe to do that. Myself I would knock it roughly to size in a bandsaw first, but there are others who know more about all that stuff than me.

Studley

BANNED
21st August 2007, 03:02 PM
Hi fraggles,

I would do it for you, no problems, at no cost. The problem is I'm in SA, Melbourne has lots of turners, with many of them being members of this forum, so you should get a better offer than mine, from one of the Melbourne guys, for sure.
In the mean time, would be handy to know what timber you got there, even for your own sake, as I'm pretty sure, the timbers species name will come in question trough your project, sooner or later! Try to ask the question to your parents, or to someone that work/worked in that property.

Good luck:2tsup:

Cheers
GV

RETIRED
21st August 2007, 03:05 PM
I can do it for you if you like.

fraggles
21st August 2007, 03:36 PM
I'm looking to pick up the log this weekend so should be able to get a better idea on what sort of timber it is.

Thanks for the offer Nyodine and !

Where are you located in Melbourne ?
Also my mum works at the local high school and while their lathes aren't big another to take the log they do have a bandsaw if I remember rightly... so would it be beneficial to get the log cut to the right length before brining it down to Melbourne?

graemet
21st August 2007, 03:37 PM
I can do it for you if you like.

There you are fraggles, an offer you can't refuse!
(get a load of his website!)
Cheers
Graeme

Onya !:U

fraggles
21st August 2007, 04:16 PM
That is one 'big job' ! :D

Studley 2436
21st August 2007, 04:23 PM
Might do well to let show you how to knock it down to the rough size. He will know about getting it roughly round and also how to pick the best bit getting rid of any defects in the timber.

Studley

suzieightysix
21st August 2007, 06:07 PM
Hi fraggles, I live in Mulgrave and can do the job for you no sweat. If you can't get it covered, let me know. Russell:2tsup:

rsser
21st August 2007, 06:48 PM
Your log diam and design diam are very close.

Will work if the log diam measurement is the min. on it and the log is sound. Otherwise, have some design alternatives ready.

's offer is very generous .. grab him before he hits the tea ;-}

RETIRED
21st August 2007, 07:12 PM
I am in Tooradin. 60 KM SE of Melbourne.

If you want me to do it (with your help:D ) leave it as it is.

Calm
21st August 2007, 09:13 PM
Fraggles jump at the offer from . You will never look back.

you're a generous man:2tsup: :2tsup:

BANNED
21st August 2007, 11:57 PM
There you go Fraggles, problem solved, as I was expecting!
Good choice indeed.

Thanks , for your generous offer.:2tsup:

Cheers
GV

fraggles
22nd August 2007, 11:43 AM
Your log diam and design diam are very close.

Will work if the log diam measurement is the min. on it and the log is sound. Otherwise, have some design alternatives ready.

's offer is very generous .. grab him before he hits the tea ;-}

I'll definitely take you up on your offer ! I've been chatting to the folks and there are two logs which can be used though the dimensions mentioned in my first post are of the one in best condition, the other log is
Hight = 490mm
Diameter = 420-520

I will bring both of them to Melbourne so we can work from there!

Thank you everyone for such a great response! :D

Gra
22nd August 2007, 11:49 AM
Fraggles,

You are about to have a great learning experience, Bring tea:U:U

RETIRED
22nd August 2007, 01:26 PM
I'll definitely take you up on your offer ! I've been chatting to the folks and there are two logs which can be used though the dimensions mentioned in my first post are of the one in best condition, the other log is
Hight = 490mm
Diameter = 420-520

I will bring both of them to Melbourne so we can work from there!

Thank you everyone for such a great response! :DI look forward to it Fraggles. PM me to arrange a time.