PDA

View Full Version : moving a 170kg table saw

Phil Mazey
16th September 2003, 10:03 PM
Would anybody have a thought about the best way to move a saw of this weight around a small work area. please? It's a Carba-tec job, being delivered Thurs am. Ideally, you'd assemble it where it's to stay and never move it. But to be realistic, I suspect I'm going to need to move it occasionally to accommodate need to support feed in/out and dock long work pieces. One way would be to move everything else around the saw, but someone's bound to have a better idea or three.

wands
16th September 2003, 10:45 PM
Phil,
Timbecon sell a Mobile Machine Stand that is adjustable for $100, plus delivery. Check it out:
http://www.timbecon.com.au/productsdetail.asp?sectid=12507&parentid=12471&prodid=27939
Leda also sell one for about $145.
Cheers, Steve :)

kenmil
16th September 2003, 10:50 PM
Or Gary Pye Woodturning (Qld) have the same thing for $75.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/gpwoodturning/hdmobilebase.html

AlexS
17th September 2003, 08:31 AM
Only 170kg? Just remember to keep your back straight when you're lifting.

Dean
17th September 2003, 10:27 AM
I ordered some gear from GPW a few days ago and it arrived the next day. very good service and their prices are hard to beat.

As for the tablesaw, I just bought one too but I had to take it all apart from the trailer just to get it off. The cabinet/base weighs a fair bit (because the motor/trunions are fixed to it (are removable but a PITA) and it was a bit of a struggle to get it into the shop, which was an uphill climb fromt he road might I add. I assembled it in position and hopefully will not have to move it anytime soon!

One day I'll get a mobile base for it :)

George
17th September 2003, 12:49 PM
Dean,
So which table saw did you buy?

Cheers

George

Dean
17th September 2003, 01:31 PM
The TSC-10HB model

I think its a real steal at that price. Very solid indeed.
My ol' buddy Wayne Davy reckons the maintenance guy at Carbatec said they very rarely have a problem with that model either, and they have sold thousands.

So all looking good so far :)

Phil Mazey
17th September 2003, 07:04 PM
Thanks to those who replied to my query re moving the saw. I'll have a look at what's on offer in the trolley line.

Dean
you mentioned 10HB - that's the one I'm expecting in the am. Nice to hear good reports on it. Paid $1495 at Carba-tec. My assembly experience so far has been limited to Triton. (destroyed in the fire of 18 Jan 2003 and I'm just getting back into it - decided to get a different machine) So any tips you have as a result of your recent experience with 10HB will be gratefully received.

Phil

Wayne Davy
17th September 2003, 11:11 PM
Dean,

I think the service guy said they have sold hundreds.

Dean
18th September 2003, 12:29 AM
Wayne: Oh hundreds was it? I thought you said thousands. Never mind.

Phil: Assembly wasn't too bad at all. Well some of the screws are different to what is mentioned in the manual, but shouldnt be too difficult to figure out. Getting the extension tables lined up is easier with two people though. One to hold it flush while the other tightens the screws underneath.

If you have any hassles let me know.

One thing to consider is that the plug is a 15amp plug for the 15amp motor and I just realised all my outlets are only configured as 10 amps and the plug doesnt fit, so I havent been able to fire her up just yet, so I might need to get a sparky in to do some work.

Anyone else know what is needed to get a 15 amp outlet installed?? Is it just a switch of the outlet itself or does it need more major work? Electrics aren't my bag, baby :)

Pantherx
19th September 2003, 01:39 PM
Recently bought TSC-10HB - fantastic !

170Kg - grab a friend

Sparky came in and upgraded the powerpoints to 15amp rating on a separate 20amp circuit. 3 doubles to handle the jointer, dust extractor, thichnesser and any other item I decide to buy from the Carbatec catalog. Have some std powerpoints on another circuit to handle the std power tools & radio :-))

Sparky spent 3-4 hours installing. $30 per double powerpoint, cabling & 20amp new fuse extra. Still waiting on the final bill.

TIP: I've found all my machinery has short power cords. Either make sure your machine(s) are close to the pp OR ask the sparky to extend your machine power cords with correct 15amp cable OR buy short 15amp extension cords from Bunnings (10m = $20) OR make your own from bits & pieces from Bunnings (although looks cheaper buying the made up leads.

Have fun !

Dean
19th September 2003, 01:55 PM
Well I just got my electrical upgrade done.
15 Amp circuit put in with one 15 amp outlet.

Thanks to the last electricians work, he had to totally re-wire the safety switcvh which took up more time.

Also had him change one light fitting. Total cost was $250 (not too bad I suppose).

Yeah the cable on the 10HB is woefully short. Picked up a 10m 15 amp extension lead from Bunnies for $16 and all is now A-OK :)
I can hear the wood begging for its life already!

Sir Stinkalot
19th September 2003, 02:35 PM
Ahhhh .... I need to completely redo the power in the shed ... I currently have a double point, of which one side doesn't work and one fluro. I will need at least 6 more doubles and a couple of fluros. I don't want to even start to think about the bill.

blindbambi
21st September 2003, 01:09 AM
Ive had my TSC-10HB from Carbatec for 6 months now. Bought the Incra-2000 mitre guide and I love both. Hope u enjoy yours.
Regards Blindbambi:D

DavidW
21st September 2003, 09:43 AM
Pantherx and Blindbambi, how about a quick review on the TSC 10-HB.

It seems to be the most affordable "proper" table saw available atm and is on top of my list.

How is the accuracy, noise, ease of blade change, accessories you have bought/made etc.

Dean
21st September 2003, 11:59 AM
I'll give you a mini review on setup and accuracy, but only based on about 1-2 hours of use so far.

Accuracy: Very accurate so far. it all depends how well you have set it up of course. The miter slots on both sides are parallel to the blade (and each other) on my machine. Rip fence is very solid and accurately aligns with blade when tightened down (although only light pressur eis needed). Mitre guide is nothing special. It will certainly do the job for most cuts but if you are dealing with unusual angles a lot, then you might want to look at an improvement in this area. Probably an incra miter guide.

Setup: Pretty much hassle free although instructions are a bit ordinary. The cast iron extension tables lined up nice and flush for me. Everything else went according to plan. Had to fiddle around with the motor cover door and ajust the pre-assembled door lock to get it to close, but no drama.

Noise: Well I cant measure the dB rating for you, but think of a 1HP induction motor, and times that noise x 3. it makes the noise of a 3HP induction motor anyway :) Just a much deeper and more intense drone is probably a good description. Much like the sound Norm's unisaw makes :)Y ou can certainly use it without hearing protection and I doubt you would be doing any harm to your ears, although I still prefer to use hearing protection wherever possible. I recall in an OH&S lecture once we listened to the max dB rating the ears can handle continuously, and it was LOUD! The 10HB noise doesnt come close to this.

Blade Change: Plenty of clearance on the insert. No trouble at all changling the blade. Only problem is keeping the blade still to get the nut off, but thats a universal issue with most table saws and there are solutions. You can even get blade holding jigs to make this simpler. I might grab one some day soon.

Accessories: None bught or made yet. Havent had it long enough, but I think I'll definitely get an Incra miter guide for improved accuracy and make my own zero clearance inserts.

Dust Collection: Seems excellent so far. A nice big 'slide' in the cabinet leads right down to the 4" dust extraction port. The saws single blade table insert leaves a bit too much of a gap which reduces saw dust removal capabilities a little in my opinion. Ideally, you would perhaps later get an overhead arm guard that has a dust extraction port to catch the most dust.

Overall: So far, so good. Seems this is a very high quality saw at a bargain price. Very happy thus far. Time will tell of course :)

kenmil
21st September 2003, 02:39 PM
Does it take a dado blade ?

Dean
21st September 2003, 04:09 PM
Yes of course.
They even give you a table insert to suit a dado blade as well :)

Phil Mazey
21st September 2003, 05:32 PM
Hi All
and to David's query in particular - at this very early point in my acquaintance with this bit of kit, I've got no reservations about it. All very solid as far as the hardware is concerned. Good fence and mitre box. Everything in line out of the carton. No tweaking needed as far as I can see. Quiet and smooth. The instructions for assembly are wanting in just about every way imaginable though. But there, I'm pretty dumb mechanically, and have to have precise words and pics at every step. Have a couple of 5/16 studs and spring washers over at the end of assembly!
Re 15 amp rating - I snipped off the 15 amp plug after discussing with an electrician and put a standard one on in its place. I've been told I might have to put a 20 amp fuse on the circuit the saw's on, but that unless the saw's under prolonged heavy load, it'll probably be OK. Fingers crossed.
Gotta hook up a dust collector though. Am used to a noisy domestic vacuum cleaner on a Triton bucket. Is a 1HP dust collector very noisy?

Phil Mazey

DavidW
21st September 2003, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the replies guy's, very informative, it is as I hoped/expected usefull saw at an excellent price.

Not sure when i'll get one but i'm considering saving some $$ then waiting for next years Brisy would show and buying a bunch of stuff to get a deal. Trouble is its so long away and I am not that patient but i'll see.

Marc
21st September 2003, 07:23 PM
Phil, I would check with Carbatec, but from what I know changing the plug from 15 to 10 amps voids the warranty.

Furthermore, depending on your wiring the motor is probably not getting the amps it needs to run under load. It's the same as running a compressor with a long lead.
Not a good idea.

A 15A plug can be as cheap as $100 if close enough to the board. See discussion on 15A plugs on this BB/ A good investment after 1500 for such nice saw

Dean
22nd September 2003, 09:18 AM
Phil,

My 2HP D/C is probably 50-60% of the noise of the tablesaw at a guess? Still quieter than your standard shop vac.

Phil Mazey
22nd September 2003, 10:34 AM
Thanks Marc,

I'll check it out further.

Phil

George
22nd September 2003, 01:18 PM
Is it safe/advisable to put a higher amp fuse on a standard power circuit? If you run lower rated appliances on the same circuit could they short out without tripping the fuse?

Just posing the question. I don't know the answer but I'm sure your electrician does.

Cheers

George

stephenmeddings
22nd September 2003, 03:05 PM
the circuit-breaker is there to protect the wiring. You should find the breaker is rated the same as the wire used.

This way your shed etc is protected before the wire overheats and burns your shed down.

mkcl
22nd September 2003, 03:10 PM
Hi George,

Somewhat counter-intuitively, fuses and circuit breakers on mains circuits aren't there to protect your appliances. They are there to protect your wiring. As such, you can safely increase your fuse/circuit breaker ratings so long as the new rating still complies with the requirements of the applicable standards (AS3000/AS3008, in particular the latter). These standards indicate the maximum current carrying capability of your wiring, based on the conductor's cross sectional area, conductor type and derating factors (proximity to other wiring, enclosures, etc).

In practice, your electrician would probably have installed a fuse/CB that is closely matched to the wiring. So it'd be an unusual situation where you could safely increase the protection rating without having to re-cable.

Looking at the most common power circuit configuration, the cabling would generally be 2.5mm2 copper TPS, which has a free-air rating of 23A. However, as soon as you start applying derating factors, this drops very close to, or below, 20A. (e.g. plastic conduit drops it to 20A for flat TPS, and 18A for round TPS.) Hence the use of 15A breakers on power circuits. If you were to find that all your cable was in free air and no other derating factors applied, then yes, you could increase the breaker rating. But you'd want to be very sure of what you're doing before just going and changing a fuse wire for a thicker one ... if you stuff up, your house could burn down!

Michael.

DavidW
22nd September 2003, 06:00 PM
G'day Guys, in case you wanted to know were these things come from here's the link.....I hope.

www.maoshan.com/p1.htm

Dean
22nd September 2003, 06:06 PM
Yep that's them. They manufacture quite a bit of gear that can be found badged and sold here in Oz.
Now, all I need is one of their OVS-JM spindle sanders :)
http://www.maoshan.com/p4_ovs-jm.htm

DavidW
22nd September 2003, 07:12 PM
All you need is a spare $1600 and its yours :D

Mind you Dean I am sure the sander isnt ALL you NEED!!!

Dean
22nd September 2003, 11:25 PM
Im sure I could think of a few others on that site as well that would put a smile on my face! :D :D :D :D Hmm :rolleyes: