PDA

View Full Version : Had fun at Fun Valley!

OGYT
22nd August 2007, 12:53 PM
Just returned from a week in Fun Valley, Colorado. Sold enough turnings and quilts to pay for the trip expenses and a set of tires for the truck, plus a little...
Found out that large bowls don't sell well to RVers. :) Duh!
But smaller turnings went well. Coffee scoops sold almost as fast as they came off the lathe. Biscuit cutters, also. I also found out that Aspen timber isn't just white... some of it has reddish streaks throughout.
It was my first time to spend much time, at turning away from my shed, and had a lot of questions asked... some of 'em I could even answer... :) It was a good week. The little Vicmarc was exceptional! Victor made a truly nice little lathe! Must be the weather down under. :D
Pic 1 - Our little corner of the show. We were set up right on the road to the big barn where the majority of the vendors were located. Plenty of room for folks to park and shop. This pic is the first day of the show, so there's not many shavin's around, but when I left, I cleaned up a pretty big bag full.
Pic 2 - Every afternoon it rained for about 20 minutes, so we had to cover up the stuff. Next time I'll be better prepared for the weather.
Pic 3 - Over shot of the main part of the place... the main show was in the barn in the right center. We're on the upper curve, just past the little tree on the right side of the road.
This 'have lathe - will travel' stuff is pretty much fun.

wheelinround
22nd August 2007, 01:04 PM
nice sounds like you had a swell time

Now be honest how often were you sneaking over to that timber pile in the last photo and making off with the red stuff:;

Gil Jones
22nd August 2007, 01:06 PM
Looks like you had a fun time, Al.

RufflyRustic
22nd August 2007, 01:44 PM
Welcome back and Congrats on having such a great time, selling heaps, learning heaps...etc etc etc :) :2tsup:

OGYT
22nd August 2007, 01:46 PM
Gil, it was a blast!

Wheelin', I honestly didn't know it was there 'til you pointed it out. I didn't even notice it when I took the pic. :toobad: That is their maintenance yard, and it's got a big sign in front that says, "KEEP OUT!", so I did.

R/R I did learn heaps... I learned that no matter what you carry along... something you need will be back in the shed.

Hardenfast
22nd August 2007, 01:47 PM
Looks like an idyllic little setup there Al - right beside the river and all. Even looks like there's a timber yard there, at the bottom of picture three.

Seems like you've already done some klms - sorry, miles - to get from Texas to Colorado. Actually, when I look at the map it's not that far - given that you are in the top east of Texas. Still, having fun - covering expenses - seeing the country. Sounds like a good deal to me.

And yes - the Vicmarc gear has a great reputation. We do some good stuff down here. I'll have to get me one, one day.

Wayne

Sebastiaan56
22nd August 2007, 02:23 PM
Hi Al,

Id love to able to wax lyrical about you post, but quite frankly Im just too jealous! to quote Monty Python "you lucky, lucky barstard!". Seriously, I know youve paid your dues Al, when I saw your posts on putting the lathe on the truck I showed everyone to the boss, several times. I hope she gets the hint from this post of yours. Idyllic spot, idyllic lifestyle, remember us poor desk jockeys. Keep posting, and to pinch an idea from Karl, what about going to California and getting into some redwoods?

Sebastiaan

OGYT
22nd August 2007, 03:20 PM
Thanks, Wayne. "given that you are in the top east of Texas." Actually, I'm in the top West. It is 517 miles (832 km) from my house to the valley, about half of it in hills. Diesel cost 2.899USD (per gal)here at home, and 3.179 in Colorado, but it was still worth the trip. Had to be careful about walking around after night on the outskirts of the camp tho', the Black Bears love to raid garbage cans. And the air was a little thin to a bloke that smoked for 50+ years, but it was cooler than Texas air. :)
Sebastian, I am fortunate for sure...more than I deserve. If you just keep hintin' to the boss... maybe she'll come around. When you get to thinkin' about it, the money I save on electricity during the summer, will nearly pay to rent a parkin' spot, most places. Don't know what it costs down under, though. What's fuel cost in Oz?
California? It's in the back of my mind, but I'm not to sure about the craft shows... and how they'd treat a furriner. :)

Hardenfast
22nd August 2007, 04:09 PM
Well, we're currently paying between AU$1.20 and AU$1.30 per LITRE for Premium petrol/gas over here, Al. I think that Diesel is about the same.

One US Gallon is about 4.5 litres, which makes it around AU$5.62 per US Gallon. The Australian Dollar is currently around US$0.86, so that makes our fuel around US$4.85 per gallon.

Still think it's expensive over there?

I'm flying into Atlanta shortly for a big exhibition. Not going to Texas now as the Texan glass company are going to meet us at the exhibition. Still, I get to pick up all my recent US purchases and bring them home, which will be fun.

Hope you've given up those cigarettes, by the way.

Wayne

Sebastiaan56
22nd August 2007, 04:26 PM
California? It's in the back of my mind, but I'm not to sure about the craft shows... and how they'd treat a furriner.

Mate, Ii have spent time in both Texas and California, give me Houston any day, but Karl and I were discussing cutting down rare and precious things to make pens, how does Redwood turn?

Sebastiaan

TTIT
22nd August 2007, 05:22 PM
Hey Al - I see you had the traps out to get a feed while you were there - catch any??:;:U:U I reckon what you're doing would be good even if you didn't cover costs - just for the pure pleasure of it. Top stuff mate!:2tsup:

........how does Redwood turn?If I know these blokes on here, you're gonna regret asking that!!!:;

RETIRED
22nd August 2007, 06:22 PM
Well, we're currently paying between AU$1.20 and AU$1.30 per LITRE for Premium petrol/gas over here, Al. I think that Diesel is about the same.

One US Gallon is about 4.5 litres, which makes it around AU$5.62 per US Gallon. The Australian Dollar is currently around US$0.86, so that makes our fuel around US$4.85 per gallon.

Still think it's expensive over there?

I'm flying into Atlanta shortly for a big exhibition. Not going to Texas now as the Texan glass company are going to meet us at the exhibition. Still, I get to pick up all my recent US purchases and bring them home, which will be fun.

Hope you've given up those cigarettes, by the way.

Wayne A US gallon is smaller than an imperial gallon. .832 674 185 to be precise. 1 gallon [US, liquid] = 3.785 411 784 litres.

ticklingmedusa
22nd August 2007, 06:28 PM
Welcome home Al, I thought I might bump into you on the interstate. :D
Colorado is gorgeous.
Were there trout in that river?
Sorry for the threadjack below,
tm

Mate, Ii have spent time in both Texas and California, give me Houston any day, but Karl and I were discussing cutting down rare and precious things to make pens, how does Redwood turn?

Sebastiaan

Well, since you asked :cool:,

have a look at
www.nondo.net/johnlopezbowls/ (http://www.nondo.net/johnlopezbowls/)
# 6 & 7 natural edged, footed bowl is redwood burl , it was an
amazing piece of wood, highly figured grain, had branches and rootlets
i wanted to save but lost most during the rough turning process. i felt
that if i went any thinner it would lose the bark so i just
stopped. it seemed a little clunky... its maybe 9 in. diameter at the rim
and 6 or 7 in. tall. finished with tung oil.
tm

BernieP
22nd August 2007, 06:51 PM
G'Day Al

Welcome back sounds like a great week, how about a photo of your biscuit cutter ! Thanks for sharing your trip.

Cheers
Bernie

hughie
22nd August 2007, 08:06 PM
Just returned from a week in Fun Valley, Colorado. Sold enough turnings and quilts to pay for the trip expenses and a set of tires for the truck, plus a little...

Al,

Welcome back, and a good time was had by all :U Nice to be able to ''turn 'n travel'' and more than pay your way. Something I suspect would be more of a challenge here in Oz.

:hpydans2:

rsser
22nd August 2007, 09:36 PM
Funky bowl TM!

rodent
23rd August 2007, 01:36 AM
Ok AL i know about coffee scoops ,what are these biscuit cutters ? can we have a picture and a little explanation if possible ? I glade you had a great time , it's amazing what you learn on a trip away with other turners isn't it . Black bears ? damn as long as you don't do a Goldie locks imitation or invite them to lunch ,yeash thats all you need ( one bear coming at you and all you have is a skew chisel ) not my idea of an evenings entertainment .:oo:

Sebastiaan56
23rd August 2007, 06:38 AM
have a look at
www.nondo.net/johnlopezbowls/ (http://www.nondo.net/johnlopezbowls/)
# 6 & 7 natural edged, footed bowl is redwood burl , it was an
amazing piece of wood, highly figured grain, had branches and rootlets
i wanted to save but lost most during the rough turning process. i felt
that if i went any thinner it would lose the bark so i just
stopped. it seemed a little clunky... its maybe 9 in. diameter at the rim
and 6 or 7 in. tall. finished with tung oil.
tm

Looks like fun, nice timber, the very strong contrast between the heart and sap woods is striking, nice bowls, you guys have some great timbers over there,

ptc
23rd August 2007, 01:02 PM
We have Drop Bears !

OGYT
23rd August 2007, 01:14 PM
Sebastian, Redwood? round 'n round:D (couldn't resist) Nope, never turned it.
tm: Were there trout in that river? Sorry for the threadjack below,
No problem, Amigo. Were you in Colorado at the same time? Drat! Want to meet you, sometime.
Yep, trout in the river as well as in two small lakes that they stock for fishing. Good lookin' bowls, tm.

Bernie & Rodent. What we call biscuits may differ a little with Oz lingo. We use biscuit cutters to cut the dough for baking breakfast bread... I eat 'em hot out of the oven with sausage and eggs, and/or with butter and plum jam.:D Pic 1,2,3 - The only cutter I have left isn't quite up to snuff... it's pine. A little set of cracks near the cutting edge is filled with CA. Notice the two little holes (about 3/16", which I still need to needlefile smooth) on either side of the handle. (pine tears out badly) They go all the way through to the inside, to allow the air in so the dough doesn't hang-up in the cutter. Make the cutter as big as you want the biscuits... this'ns about 75mm diameter. Which makes about a 90mm biscuit. :2tsup:

Hughie: Nice to be able to ''turn 'n travel'' and more than pay your way. Something I suspect would be more of a challenge here in Oz.
Hughie, if I had to pay what you have to pay for petrol, I wouldn't have been so lucky.:no: But I would have still had fun!:D When you get a chance, try it. Do they have some large shows in Oz?

Bears: Meetin' one with only a skew? I'd soil meself.:- One evening while we were there, some folks put food in a garbage can. A pro photog saw them, and spotted her car nearby so the headlamps would light the can. A little while after dark, she saw something moving around in the trees, and it was a Black Bear heading for the can. She hit her lights, got out of the car and snapped off a few piccies. When the bear stood up, she got her bootie back in the car and hightailed it. The next day, she sold pics of it at the craft show. Not smart, but it paid off. :doh:

PTC, What's a Drop Bear???

Pic 4, my shed in the back yard... sure was good to get back home.

rodent
24th August 2007, 07:03 PM
Al we have biscuits but not quite like those .we have scones , damper and a few other things but i don't think thats one of them . PS please send recipe sounds different . I know what you mean about pine only some turn well ,the rest are great for shelving .As for turning events there are a few around if your lucky enough to be invited . HEY ERN!:2tsup:
Don't start skew up on drop bears again we'll never hear the end of it .

hughie
24th August 2007, 07:15 PM
if I had to pay what you have to pay for petrol, I wouldn't have been so lucky.:no: But I would have still had fun!:D When you get a chance, try it. Do they have some large shows in Oz?

Al, there seems to be a greater awareness or appreciation of turned work in the US. Hence your better prices..:C

What's a Drop Bear??? :U allow me to help

http://www.geocities.com/muirnin/db.htm
http://www.cfr.com.au/dropbears/

Then the authoritive answer :;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drop_bear

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th August 2007, 07:52 PM
A drop bear?

Weell... you know how in the states you see kids running around in 'coon-skin hats? If you ever see something like that in Australia, don't just stand there smiling - hit 'em over the head with a shovel! They're being attacked by a drop bear...

:wink: :D

On a slightly different topic... those biscuit cutters. Have you thought about drilling finger holes in the top (ie. making the existing holes larger) so you can poke out any biccies that get "stuck" during cutting? I may have to try my hand at making some scone cutters, now that you've given me the idea. :)

OGYT
25th August 2007, 02:26 PM
Hughie: there seems to be a greater awareness or appreciation of turned work in the US.
There is a greater awareness in many places in the US, but this area where I'm living isn't one of them. :( People in many places can get $150-US for a 12-14" dia bowl, and I'm lucky if I get $40. I did get $75 one time for a natural edged Red Oak bowl about 15-16" dia, but those deals are few, and far between.
Thanks for the info on the drop bears...:rolleyes: Sounds like a Crocodile Dundee tale to me. :D

Skew: A drop bear? Weell... you know how in the states you see kids running around in 'coon-skin hats? If you ever see something like that in Australia, don't just stand there smiling - hit 'em over the head with a shovel! They're being attacked by a drop bear... :rotfl:
Might I please have the number for your shrink?:D
Have you thought about drilling finger holes in the top (ie. making the existing holes larger) so you can poke out any biccies that get "stuck" during cutting?
I've wondered the same thing about the biscuits stickin', but if you have a little oil, or flour on the cutter, the little air holes should be fine... I 'spose if one did get stuck, you could sling it toward the oven. :U Seriously, someone told me if you made the holes too large, you'd have to poke out every one of 'em... somethin' about the dough poochin' up into the holes... but I don't think that would be true if you made the cutter deep enough. Might try some both ways, and check it out... Give it a go.
Are scones made from flour dough? Are they sweet?

Rodent, I've heard of scones for years, and still don't know what they are... now dampers?? I've never even heard of them. How 'bout a recipe? Here's one recipe for biscuits:
Baking Powder Biscuits
2 cups flour 3 teaspoons baking powder 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup Crisco (lard) 7/8 cup milk
In a Wooden Bowl: Mix the dry ingredients. Cut in the Crisco (use your hands). Add milk. Knead until well-mixed. Roll out on floured cabinet top to about 3/8" (10mm) thick. Cut biscuits to size. Place, sides touching, in greased and floured pan, smear a little melted butter on top, and put in pre-heated oven, 375 degrees, 'til golden brown.
Soon as they come out of the oven, split 'em through the middle and put in some good butter. Cholesterol filled goodness!!:D I'm hungry. (They say if you use a metal bowl to mix 'em in, they won't rise when they're bakin')

joe greiner
25th August 2007, 07:41 PM
Seem to be variable definitions for biscuits & scones. Similar to piers & wharves, jigs & fixtures, etc.

My mum used to make what she called biscuits with a thinner batter, dropped onto a flat baking sheet. I've seen similar constructions called scones. And pronounced both ways: sk-oh-n and sk-awn (without access to weird pronunciation symbols). [Clarification: These weren't flat cakes; looked more like a handful of low-slump concrete; better tasting, though.]

Here's the lowdown:

http://www.answers.com/topic/biscuit?cat=health

http://www.answers.com/topic/scone?cat=health

And here's some tips for preparation:

http://baking.about.com/library/weekly/aa073002b.htm

BTW, 375degF = 190degC

Welcome back to flat ground, Al.

Joe

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th August 2007, 08:07 PM
Seem to be variable definitions for biscuits & scones. Similar to piers & wharves, jigs & fixtures, etc.

Here in Oz, I'd hazard to say that we generally think of biscuits as flat items - think: suitable for dipping into a cup of coffee/tea, except for the ones that aren't... which are more often than not biscuits stacked on top of each other then dipped in chocolate and generally labelled here as "biscuit confections." :rolleyes:

On the other hand, scones, muffins and the like are much, much thicker... almost small cakes.

I've wondered the same thing about the biscuits stickin', but if you have a little oil, or flour on the cutter, the little air holes should be fine... I 'spose if one did get stuck, you could sling it toward the oven. :U Seriously, someone told me if you made the holes too large, you'd have to poke out every one of 'em... somethin' about the dough poochin' up into the holes... but I don't think that would be true if you made the cutter deep enough. Might try some both ways, and check it out... Give it a go.
Are scones made from flour dough? Are they sweet?

My Nan used to simply use a drinking glass, with the rim dipped in flour. I guess I'll have to try making some cutters with different sized holes and see what works.

As for scones, well... your recipe sounds pretty much the same. Ours rise up to maybe 2" - 2 1/2" high and are bloody lovely fresh out of the oven, big dob of butter in the middle and maybe a dab of jam. [yum!] Sweet? They can be as sweet as you want to make 'em. I prefer unsweetened dough, but with a handful of dried fruit such as dates, raisins or sultanas mixed through. That's one of the good things about scones... they're so versatile. :thyel:

And damper's basically the same thing, a very basic bush-bread but without the bicarb so it doesn't rise. It harks back to our pioneer days, when often all a bloke had to eat was a pouchful of plain flour and whatever he could forage. IMHO it's best made on hot rocks in a campfire (delicious) but modern campers tend to go all hi-tech. :rolleyes: