PDA

View Full Version : Glass splashback

cjr
17th September 2003, 12:53 PM
Hi everyone, on this my first post
I'm in the process of redoing my kitchen, and having got past the drama of finding asbestos behind the tiles and counters, I am now starting to think about the splashbacks
I was very surprised to find out how much colorback glass costs, and was hoping someone might be able to answer the following
1. Is there any reason why you can't make your own, by getting glass cut and then painting it?
2. Do you have to use toughened glass (as the colorback people say) - it just doesn't seem necessary to me and expensive overkill?
3. If I do make my own, what sort of paint is best to use - I was maybe thinking car paint, or is there a specific glass paint?
4. Anything else I need to consider or might have missed?

Thanks in advance

Boogaloo
17th September 2003, 01:44 PM
I think you might find it's all to do with heat tolerance, as to why you have to have a specific type of glass.

Personally, I wouldn't risk trying to do something like this on the cheap.

Good luck.

Sir Stinkalot
17th September 2003, 02:41 PM
Try having a read through this and contact the people via private message how they went with their own glass splashbacks.

Splashback (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4754&perpage=15&highlight=glass%20splashback&pagenumber=1)

Stinky

re do 4 u
17th September 2003, 03:59 PM
my sister used glass tiles for her splashback, but they were really expensive as well.

i can't see why you can't use laminated glass. this is cheaper than toughened because the glass place can cut it. with toughened they have to cut it, then send it to be treated.

you can buy special glass paint, or use something like penetrol first then normal paint over that.

George
18th September 2003, 01:18 PM
I recently had a glass splashback made and installed by a glazier. It is 6 mm toughened glass sprayed on the back with automotive paint (no etching apparently) and fixed to the wall with silicone.

The result is fantastic.

I don't know if you really need toughened glass although one of the glaziers I spoke to said he would not do one in anything other than toughened glass. More expensive but I'm happy with that. It would be an absolute disaster if it had to be replaced due to breakage.

Cheers

George

jo brash
10th October 2003, 09:04 AM
After reading other comments, I would make sure that the glass installers take a template of the area to be fitted with glass. Also, make sure that clear sealant is used. Glass might be expensive but done properly it does look fantastic. Also think of the cleaning that has to be done with grout.

journeyman Mick
10th October 2003, 11:09 PM
You don't want to use laminated glass in an application where water can find its way to the edges ( a very real possibility with a splashback) as it will work its way between the laminations and totally spoil the looks of it.

Mick

IanA
11th October 2003, 11:07 PM
I'm with Mick on this one.
Laminated glass where moisture has penetrated the polymer layer looks horrible.
It may be possible to seal the exposed edges, but get it wrong and you'll hate yourself big time!!

GCP310
15th October 2003, 09:05 AM
Hi Guys,
The reason for the high cost is that the type of glass used for splashbacks is known as Starfire Glass. which is totally clear. Normal glass as you may know has a green tinge to it and affects the final colour. the company i work for specialize in high rise appartment fitout, and every second job at the moment has glass splashbacks. we make templates,then hand them over to a glass mob who cut the glass,then heat treat it. once its heat treated,you can not make any "adjustments" so make sure you r template is acurate.

G

George
15th October 2003, 06:19 PM
The totally clear glass is considerably more expensive but you can get away with normal toughened glass depending on the final colour of the splashback. A white splashback on normal glass will have a green tinge which probably woudn't be acceptable. I have a stainless steel colour on normal toughened glass and the result is fine.

George

Marc
15th October 2003, 10:51 PM
Toughened glass may be better in terms of resisting heat, but you cannot compare with the easy with ahich you can source laminated and get it cut to mesure.

As for delamination, I am told it is a thing of the past.
They make shower screens in laminated glass, no problem there.

A splahs back can only get some moisture from the edge that is on the top. A line of silicone before installing the glass will take care of that.
In fact you have stimulated my inventive and I will now endevour to make my own glass splash back in the next kitchen redo.

Thinking . . . .
How would it look if you have the spalsh back split in two by a horizontal stripe of timber, matching the rest of the kitchen?

In this way you have two narrow glass running horizontal and you can have the plugs and switches on the timber . . . (?)

Thinking more . . .
how about sandblasting one side of the glass before painting it?

hatemondays
12th November 2003, 10:40 PM
about to do glass splashbacks myself...........have done a little research and it all seems to amount to one thing ..........thermal shock. Sudden changes in temperature either hot or cold are likely to affect untoughened glass a great deal more than toughened. It would be a shame and very uneconomical if you had to replace your laminated glass with the good stuff because hot oil or a frozen lump of meat were to crack your laminated glass............hope this helps :-))