PDA

View Full Version : New grip for an old Estwing

Boogaloo
17th September 2003, 07:22 PM
I've got my dad's old 24oz Estwing hammer just sitting there looking beautiful, with the exception of no longer having the leather handle.

Does anyone know of a company that might be able to re-do the leather hand grip? Or, if not the leather grip, maybe another type of grip?

Just seems a shame to see such a grand old hammer just sitting there doing nothing.
The hammers been around since the early '70's, when the old man bought it. He's now gone to the big pub in the sky and he couldn't take it with him.

derekcohen
18th September 2003, 02:48 AM
What about one of the leather-look grips made for squash or tennis racquets?

Regards from Perth

Derek

chris_hewett
18th September 2003, 09:13 AM
I am sure that I have seen a similar post either on this forum or on http://talk.woodmagazine.com/woodtalkindex.html

In a rush this morning so don't have time to search for you. Good luck!

Chris

Ziggy
18th September 2003, 10:27 AM
Also, how about a bike shop and grips for handle bars - moulded or tape, I think some tapes are leather as well.

Zig

Zed
18th September 2003, 12:52 PM
get some good quality cow hide, cut to dimension (will take some messing about to get to the desired thickness of grip, soak it, wrap it, get some strips of leather and tightly bind whilst wet. leave to dry... (It may work - or not, but what ya got to lose ?)

alternatevely buy a new one for $50 from flemington markets or some such place - not bunnys they are expensive.

or you cold dick about with a mould and some silicon...

John Saxton
18th September 2003, 11:38 PM
Hi Chris,there was I recall a post referring to replacing an Estwing handle on this BB, you may have to define your search string obviously.It wasn't all that long ago.

Sorry I cannot help more.

Cheers:)

journeyman Mick
18th September 2003, 11:43 PM
You can: get a timber handle, dock it to the required length, shape it to your requirements (if you wish) and then split it in half with a bandsaw. Hollow out the inside to suit and epoxy the two halves onto the hammer.

Mick